PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OLBs....anyone?....anyone?

Water Boy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Top OLB Prospects 2019 NFL Draft |Top Linebacker Prospects 2019 NFL Draft |

OLB is not a position that has gotten much focus, but worth considering that there could be a few draft gems out there that can rush the passer and/or do well in coverage. Honestly, I don't have much of a clue as to who would fit the Patriot's system.

Do the Patriots still covet large OLBs (240+lbs)?

Do any of the bigger guys project as pass rushing DEs?

Do any of the smaller guys work as a SS replacement for Chung?

Top OLB Prospects 2019 NFL Draft |Top Linebacker Prospects 2019 NFL Draft |

OLB is not a position that has gotten much focus, but worth considering that there could be a few draft gems out there that can rush the passer and/or do well in coverage. Honestly, I don't have much of a clue as to who would fit the Patriot's system.

Do the Patriots still covet large OLBs (240+lbs)?

Do any of the bigger guys project as pass rushing DEs?

Do any of the smaller guys work as a SS replacement for Chung?

I think it's more a matter of the depth chart + scheme than anything. KVN is locked in to a starting role and is still ascending. I expect 2019 to be his best season. We rarely play with more than two linebackers anymore, preferring the versatility of additional defensive backs on the field. KVN + Bentley seem like starters, with Hightower potentially taking more EDGE snaps.

I expect some developmental depth. If we want cover linebackers, Ulysses Gilbert, Drue Tranquil, and Ty Summers are my preferences. Hybrid rushers that might interest me: Jamal Davis, Gerri Green, Justin Hollins, etc.

As an aside, that may be the worst list of OLB ranking I've seen. All over the place. Seems highly outdated.

Edit: I should add that we've met with or hosted a few linebackers, but they all seem to be ILB. Maybe I'm forgetting a visit, but we don't seem to have put much work into the OLB position.

I wouldn't mind Joseph, though. His mental game is a mess (poor reads, overruns a lot), but when he gets it right, he makes some incredibly flashy plays. Doesn't sound like a do your job type at all, but I love watching him.

Last edited:
I really like Germiane Pratt on Day 2, but we have other, more pressing needs inside the top 100 and I just don't see how we can fit him within our first 6 picks.
I'll be on the lookout to see which if any among Cameron Smith, Cody Barton, Ty Summers & Drew Tranquill are still available with our 6th-rounder.

Tranquill at 101 or 134 would be great

Tranquill at 101 or 134 would be great
We might need both 101 & 134 for other positions such as WR2, TE2, OL, DE & DT; there should still be some interesting LBs available at 205 (where I chose Tranquill in the latest mock I tried at Fanspeak) and/or our 7ths.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back