PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

****** Official Unofficial Patriots/Rams Postgame Observations Thread ******

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, Moss tweaked a hammy in training camp in 2007 so it makes sense they rested him. He's not exactly a young buck and everyone says he has a high football IQ and understands the game.

Yeah I knew Moss was held out because of injury but it got to the point that people thought he would get cut because he hadn't practiced or played enough.

Belichick has done some things before we didn't understand but if he had decided already that Maroney was no longer in the team's plans, to the point he would purposely not play him, I don't think he'd be enough of a douche to make him dress and stand on the sidelines for three games. (assuming he would sit out next week)

If he's looking to trade him but playing it safe so he doesn't get hurt, he shouldn't be practicing either. That isn't the case.

This forum is so funny. Less than 12 hours ago we were on the edge of having a team as dominant as the 2007 squad. Now because we lost a meaningless preseason game it's become we will be lucky to make the playoffs.

Our defense played extremely well against the Saints and Falcons starters, both top tier teams. We shouldn't forget that.

Obviously something didn't go right tonight so it is up to Bill to find the weaknesses and beat some sense into the defense.

Calm the hell down.

Completely agree. No fan understands a team until the 8th game of the season. Anything else is just speculation and useless banter.

No fan understands a team until the 8th game of the season. Anything else is just speculation and useless banter.
That is correct.

BB is still being a dipsh*t and not answering the question. Why isn't Maroney playing? It's not a difficult question.

The hell with that question. I want to know when BB is going to fire that DC. The defense clearly sucks and BB needs to get rid of the DC now, or it'll be too late :rolleyes:

Initial Impression

The Starting O-line did okay in pass protection, I'm not sure if the line or Sammy Morris or both was struggling in the run game.

Sammy appeared to be a game planning start intended to put the best receiving back not named Kevin Faulk into the game to force STL to honor Sammy's routes out of the backfield. Morris is also the next best blitz pick-up RB after Faulk and his block on the Brady slip, slide, and sling (those catcher reflexes got him out to peg it to second rather nicely) to Crumpler was another reason to have him in the game when you didn't want to telegraph run vs. pass.

When the second string O-line came in with Hoyer:
- LeVoir is clearly #3 OT getting the LT assignment.
- Wendell looks to be Dante's #1 interior reserve, he was lined up at RG alongside new arrival Ojinnaka - where he could ensure Ojinnaka got play & line calls correct.
- I didn't focus much on Ojinnaka, but it looks like he's beaten out Thomas Welch, and Bussey's injury isn't helping his cause.
- Larsen plays much better at Center then he does at Guard. For a former DL, with only two seasons at OC, if he gets a chance to develop on the PSquad he could turn out pretty good. At the moment I'd expect Orhnberger - if he clears waivers - to be signed to the PSquad ahead of Larsen. There is still a chance O is retained and Wendell is waived, but to my eyes Wendell is the only interior OL who is pushing Connolly at all, and Light's "trained pigs" interview certainly singled out Wendell's play.

NE shuffled and reshuffled their D-line through the first three quarters (which impacted on the run D and pass rush):
- Warren, Wilfork, Wright are the first team.
- Lewis was first sub in at RDE, Brace in at LDE. Both worked with the other two starting D-linemen as well as their second string colleagues.
- Mike Wright looks good at RDE, Brace could push Warren at LDE if he stays healthy and gets regular reps.
- Pryor is the reserve NT and teams inside with Wright on passing downs. STL made sure they knew where Wright was on passing downs, he drew crowds.
- Deadrick is the #7 DL, his reps came at RDE.
- Richard looks decent as a swing reserve DE, but he's up against the numbers.
- If Kyle Love doesn't get poached off waivers or the PSquad I'll be interested to see how he develops for next year (there looks to be some talented beef in that uniform).

Tate had a good game filling in for Edelman and in the return game.

Brady & Hoyer show a lot of confidence in Aiken for a #6 WR, though the way he was used tonight he was #5 filling in for #4.

I don't know if STL was rolling coverage towards Moss and Welker, or if NE was calling Tate's number to see how he responded. The play calling with Hernandez and Edelman out seemed to be toned down.

The NE secondary also saw a lot of juggling. I'm sure BB is going to use this game to light a fire under some people, but this looked more like a science lab then a game with all the different combinations being tested.

It looks like Spikes played the entire game paired with either Mayo or Guyton, though I see Reiss has McKenzie getting into the game halfway through the fourth quarter.

TBC was giving my man Roger Saffold fits when he was left with him one-on-one; the Umpire could have called a couple more holds if he'd tried. Hardly surprising though, Saffold reminds me of Light, speed rushers will give him trouble if he doesn't get a little help from TEs or RBs. The ILB blitzes, combined with TBC, Wright, and Warren, and the odd Safety blitz, brought some pressure. STL has done a good job rebuilding their O-line, the youth of the line will lead to some mistakes, but that's a good O-line.

Due to a pre-arranged appointment to sleep; I missed the game. But I watched the short highlights on NFL.com (not the best, but allows me to see bits).

I thought once the O got going; it didn't look like they were going to stop! Brady to Gronk looks like a very successful connection; and will improve this O dramatically (hopefully)

I know it was against 2nd stringers, but the Brady Bomb to Moss was perfect! It might have been against weaker players; but Brady still has to place it.

I can't really comment much on the D; as the highlights showed more Pats O than Rams O. But all I can say it; lets not get too p***ed at the game; and just believe that the D had a bad game; and will be fine by Week 1 :)

I'd rather they had the bad game now, than in the regular season or playoffs :)

BB hates when the team comes out flat in exhibition games, because it makes it a lot tougher to get real evaluations.

I'll say this.... I don't think anyone earned a spot on defense tonight, with the possible exception of Brace (Not that I thought he was in danger, but some did). Other than that, I think tonight we saw some players putting their futures in jeopardy, but nobody going the Carpe Diem route.

Definitely, I'll co-sign on that. FWIW, we just recorded a podcast with Jay, and I know a lot of us put a lot of stock in his opinion. We'll probably release it tomorrow sometime, or maybe over the weekend, but his overall prognosis on the young guys, especially McCourty, was optimistic. Bottom line, rookies will look like rookies sometimes. It's unavoidable. Not a death sentence on these guys, especially when the mistakes are on correctable, understandable issues.

Last edited:
Bottom line, rookies will look like rookies sometimes. It's unavoidable. Not a death sentence on these guys, especially when the mistakes are on correctable, understandable issues.

and this is what everyone needs to remember. No need to jump off the bridge this week :D

Butlers tweet summed his play up. He looked really bad. Wilhite can't play. He just can't.

I thought while the Rams picked us apart pretty much whatever we did, they had even more success against our big nickel package. I hate the big nickel, i really don't think it works at all.

All in all i thought this game proved one thing, our defense stats from last year were masked due to our offense having a high TOP. When our offense can't keep the ball, that D will give up a lot of long drives.

All in all I'm not worried, they were due a flat preseason game after the Falcons performance, and i was expecting the D to struggle anyway.

random thoughts on why Maroney didn't play:

a) he is on the trading block - so BB didn't want him to get injured

b) BB wanted a few last looks at BJGE with starters in - as cutdowns coming soon

c) Wasn't his 'turn' this week. As BB has said they all will take turns being the featured back this pre-season.

d) Morris has passed Maroney on the depth chart - so wanted to give Morris most of the reps (to develop timing) with the first team offense playing into the 4th quarter.

e) not many running plays this game (either as was not scripted pre-game or because playing from behind most of the game) which limited the opportunities.

or any combination of the above. Choose your preference.

Quite frankly, I think it's Belichick that needs to become more focused. Focused on the fact that this team needs to take a real hard look at both the offensive and defensive play calling. It has been putrid.

If he is overseeing both offense and defense, then he needs to let go and let some real coordinators do the job.

Is Ernie Zampese available?

Seriously, I can't get that upset about play calling in an exhibition. I've watching the game tape for the 3rd time now, and there's a lot that's quite promising. I was quite impressed by the progress Brace is making; the man is much quicker and faster than his rep would suggest. Wheatley is also pleasantly surprising. Hope the two of them are not seriously injured. Gronk is just amazing. Connelly is more than adequate. McCourty made a few bad plays tonight but he still is very impressive for a rookie CB. TBC continues to impress.

On the negative side, Guyton is horrible when they run at him. I saw one play near the goal line where he had decent inside position to make the tackle but when he saw the tackle coming to wham him he literally turtled a la Tony Eason. The diametric football opposite of the Gronk play where he dragged Laurinaitis for the TD...

Last edited:
I think the D's performance up until tonight had been really remarkable when you consider Butler, Chung, Spikes, Pryor, G. Warren, Cunningham, Ninkovich, Burgess, McCourty, Lewis, Brace, Deadrick, Richard and Love are all at the most at the start of their second year in the Patriots form of the 3-4. Quite a few of the players on that list are expected to make major contributions and I think the learning curve was evident tonight.

I have a stat fer ya. Ready?

Time of possession- 44 to 16

Jeepers ca-reepers.

What bothered me was the lack of effort. That above all else is what BB is pissed off about too.
I come into this season with 2 beliefs about this team and what happened last night changes nothing for me.
This offense is going to be unstoppable.
This defense is going to be a work in progress (some games good/some games not so good) but getting better (in baby steps with all these kids) as they go.
The NFL has changed over the years (mostly because of rules changes) and it's offense that rules. That's why the Jets aren't going anywhere this year.

Quite frankly, I think it's Belichick that needs to become more focused. Focused on the fact that this team needs to take a real hard look at both the offensive and defensive play calling. It has been putrid.

If he is overseeing both offense and defense, then he needs to let go and let some real coordinators do the job.[/QUOTE

I agree on having seasoned, skilled OC and DC staff in place. BB can't do it all.....

the pats offense is still feast or famine with out dose 20+ yard deep balls they just go 3 and out... but Brady did mix in the TE's that a good thing

the defense right now the holes on that Dline look even bigger then last year and can some one tell me with happend to Jermaine Cunningham, did he play ?

Brady looked F'n great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots