SOURCE:TheAthletic

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Jets
Sun
Sep 22nd
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
White Wash
It was a whitewash in Miami as the Patriots defense rocked the Dolphins and New England improved to 2-0 on the season.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

***OFFICIAL superhero/comic book movie thread***

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by KontradictioN, Apr 17, 2015.

1. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +48,905
    ---
    There was just too much action in MoS. They could have cut about 30-40 minutes off that movie and it would have worked better. The third act was also decidedly weak, which is the knock on most of Snyder's films, "300" notwithstanding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +48,905
    ---
    Film review: Batman v Superman – Dawn Of Justice

And then...

Once again, I have no idea why they cast Eisenberg as Luthor. He is everything that the character isn't.

3. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +31,193
    ---
    Agreed, and the action was almost too cartoon-like.

4. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +31,193
    ---
    I'll await this one on cable.

I hope Captain America Civil War is worth attending.

5. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +48,905
    ---
    I'm a fan boy of both Batman and Superman. I never read comics but I read every graphic novel I can get my hands on. So, as I said, I feel almost obligated to see it in theaters. I'll let you know what I think after Saturday.

6. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +31,193
    ---
    OK, but no plot spoilers this time, please. ;)

By the way, Harrison Ford recently said he hopes Han Solo might return -- anything to this?

7. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +48,905
    ---
    So they're going to introduce zombies to Star Wars?

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +31,193
    ---
    Well, the big rumor now is that Abrams will make Luke Skywalker gay. So nothing should surprise.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +48,905
    ---
    Damn so Skywalker loves a lightsaber wedged between his ass cheeks? Maybe Kylo Ren will make that happen in the next one. If Luke giggles with delight when that happens, though, I think I'll be done with Star Wars.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +31,193
    ---
    Nah, making Ren gay would piss off gays because he's too fey and conflicted.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. meatface

meatface Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,846
    ---
    Wonder woman was the only good thing about this movie, everything else was kind of terrible.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +48,905
    ---
    Snyder gonna Snyder.

13. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +48,905
    ---
    ***WARNING: minor plot spoilers ahead. Nothing major, though, and nothing that will ruin the movie for you. Still, if you don't want ANY spoilers, stop reading***

I didn't mind it. I actually liked it better than MoS. This wasn't just nothing but mindless action for the last 90 minutes and I didn't feel that this movie crapped out in the third act like a lot of Snyder's movies tend to do. There may be some minor spoilers ahead, but I'll tag those.

LIKED:
    1. Affleck as Batman. I would still put him behind Bale, who is unquestionably the greatest Batman ever, but I would put him ahead of Keaton. Affleck had Bruce Wayne and Batman down cold in this one. I only wish he didn't try to do what Bale did with the voice. But, as a whole, he nails the part. Having watched the movie, I can also see why they felt they needed to go away from Bale for this one. For one, this rendition of Batman is older. He's also more hate-driven and cynical than Bale's version of The Dark Knight. Audiences may not have bought this version of Batman as much if they were constantly reminded of Bale in Nolan's work.

2. Jeremy Irons as Alfred. I thought his portrayal of Alfred was one of the stronger parts of the movie as a whole. Irons is a wonderful actor and he's especially good in this role. He plays right off of Bruce Wayne in that he, too, is war weary and more cynical than past portrayals of the character. His on-screen chemistry with Affleck is very noticeable. The relationship between the two feels very authentic and lived-in from the moment they appear on screen together.

3. The plot. This movie actually had one whereas "Man of Steel" was more concerned with blowing things up and showing off Superman's powers. Not that there was really anything wrong with that. I just thought that DoJ took a lot longer and a lot more care with setting up the plot and the characters surrounding it.

5. Using the carnage from Man of Steel as a jumping off point for Bruce Wayne's contempt and distrust of Superman. The movie did a good job of using the part of MoS that was most critiqued, the sheer amount of human loss from the Supes vs. Zod battle, as a reason for Batman's distrust of Superman. Without that, Superman is looked at as a universal good guy and a god among men and there would be no reason for Batman to distrust him.

6. The fight scenes. If there's one thing that Snyder does well, it's the action. I thought there were some instances where a loss of life cannot be avoided (the Batmobile pancaking cars and a semi truck, for starters) but, overall, the fight scenes were well done. The top billed fight scene between Superman and Batman is about what you would expect.

DISLIKED:
    1. Eisenberg's portrayal of Luthor. One of my biggest fears of this film was realized. To start, Luthor is one of, if not my favorite, villains in fiction. I love everything about him. The way he's portrayed as a cunning businessman who goes toe to toe with the most powerful man in the universe using nothing but his intellect is amazing. But, short of Hackman (who portrayed Luthor before he was written as a billionaire CEO), nobody in film has really done justice to the character. This is something that continued here. Eisenberg was not the correct choice to play him. Luthor should be tall, deep voiced, and confident. Eisenberg played him as almost a cross between Mark Zuckerberg and the Joker and, outside of a few scenes, his take on the character fell woefully short.

2. How Luthor was written. While there were quite a few scenes which screamed vintage Lex such as when he attempted to strong arm the senator and when he convinced the victim to plant a bomb in his wheelchair and blew up the senate proceedings, but the way he was written gave too much of a wild-eyed crazy aspect to the character. Lex is not a psychopath. He's a sociopath. He's not someone that's going to lose control in public and start muttering nonsense over and over while giving a speech to a packed house and he only loses his temper in private after having to deal with a loss. This is essentially what I was talking about by saying Eisenberg played him close to the Joker. Lex is certainly totally insane, but he comes across as well adjusted to the otherwise unsuspecting public.

3. Dream sequences and the overall length of the movie. The sheer amount of dream sequences in this bad boy seemed silly and unnecessary. The movie as a whole could have shaved 45 minutes off itself and it would have been helped by eliminating about four of the dream sequences. Why was it necessary to show the murder of the Wayne family again for the umpteenth time? There were otherwise that the movie could have gotten the fact that both Supes and Batman's mothers were named Martha. Why was it necessary to show the dream sequences at the gravesite of the Wayne's or Batman being in the desert being captured by... who... exactly? They could have also shaved off some minutes by not diving as deep into Batman's investigation of the terrorist organization. I like that this movie had a plot, relative to MoS, but it was too drawn out at times.

4. Forcing the entry of the Justice League upon us. I thought the cameos of The Flash, Aquaman, and the Cyborg were awkward and seemed forced. I understand that this movie is simply setting the stage for a future Justice League movie, but they went a little too far here. They could have simply left it at their symbols in the file Bruce Wayne stole from Lex and the point would have gotten across clearly. They didn't need to show them in action.

5. Lex knowing Clark Kent is Superman. How? They never explained this whatsoever. For starters, Lex should never know Superman's secret identity. Why the movie felt the need to go there when he could have just capture Lois and held her hostage is beyond me. But they did. So, now that they did, how did Lex deduce this? Terrible writing there.

------------------

All in all, it was a fun movie. It won't blow you away with how good it is and it doesn't come close to touching "The Dark Knight" or even "Batman Begins", but I didn't mind it. It could have been a great superhero movie without the numerous flaws I mentioned but, even then, it's still worth a watch. Note: see it in IMAX if you're going to see it in theaters.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Boomer B

Boomer B Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2,368
    ---
    So I finally saw the movie last night and I loved it. With all the backlash it's received from critics my 2 buddies I saw it with weren't really to high on going but we decided to see for ourselves. We all thought it was great. One of my buddies said it is his favorite comic book film. I won't go that far and put it in the same league as Dark Knight or Batman Begins but it will be in the next tier with Iron Man 1, Avengers, and Capt America Winter Soldier.

*Spoilers*

The Good:

Batman - I thought Bale was the Batman and no one could touch him, but in my opinion Affleck owns the role now. They captured Batmans fighting style perfectly and I loved this version of the batsuit. Affleck nailed this older, more bitter/gruel version of Batman.

The action sequences - the one thing Snyder can do just about better than anyone is action sequences and this didn't disappoint. The Batman/Superman fight was epic. The batmobile chase was the best batmobile scene in any Batman movie. That was awesome. The final fight was done great as well.

The plot - it actually had a well set up plot which doesn't always happen in comic book movies. I really liked how they introduced the other Justice League members and how Batman discovers Wonder Woman. They actually could have taken that mystery aspect and explored it further. It was nice to see Batman being a detective like he is in the comics in this movie.

Wonder Woman - they set her up well. She was the mystery woman for much of the movie until the final fight and didn't disappoint when the fighting began.

There was actually a winner! - in these type of movies where 2 good guys fight there is usually a cop out and no one wins. We knew Batman and Superman would become friends but Snyder didn't cop out. Batman won the fight.

The Not So Good:

Superman - Cavill is good in the role but I don't like the way Snyder portrays Superman. Superman is not the brooding, conflicted hero, that's Batman. Superman knows what he stands for and rescues people with a smile, not a frown.

Lex Luthor - Eisenberg plays the role he's given well, but the role wasn't written the way Luthor should be. What is the motivation for Lex in this film? In the comics its power and money. Here it seems he's just plain crazy and wants to kill Superman at any cost.

The 1st act - the first 3rd of the film seemed to jump around a lot. It wasn't until the scene at Lex's party where Bruce Wayne does his detective work where things seem to settle down and the story starts to flow better.

The dream sequence - for most people it wouldn't make much sense if you don't have a history with DC comics. Snyder never really explained it for the common movie goer and it shouldn't have been in the film.

15. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +48,905
    ---
    I would put that chase scene as a solid 3rd behind the cat and mouse chase in "The Dark Knight" and the race against time in "Batman Begins". The purpose for those chases was much more defined in those two movies. In "BvS", it seemed that Snyder was more interested in putting in a chase scene where we can watch the Batmobile blow some things up.

16. Boomer B

Ratings:
    +2,368
    ---
    I disagree. That was actually an important part of the plot as Batman had been working for months to find the kryptonite and he finally found the boat and chased down Luthors men as they transported the kryptonite. Batman obtaining the kryptonite was essential to the plot. He couldn't beat Superman without it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Boomer B

Ratings:
    +2,368
    ---
    I saw the Ultimate Edition of the film on Blue Ray and it is fantastic. This is the version they should have put in the theatres. It is about 1/2 hr longer then the normal version but it clears up so many points people had issue with.

Lex Luthor actually comes across as a criminal mastermind that he is in the comics. They show how he's pulling the strings and setting everything up.

Clark Kent/Superman gets more screen time and his character gets fleshed out a bit more. We also see that he did help people after the bombing.

It was dumb for Warner Bros to not go with this version, but they get more showings with the shorter one. This would have got much better reviews and the film would have broke a Billion if they had went with the Ultimate Edition.

18. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +48,905
    ---
    Have you seen the Justice League trailer?

19. Boomer B

Ratings:
    +2,368
    ---
    Ya, looks good. They obviously tried to lighten the mood. Wonder Woman trailer looked good also.

Suicide Squad opens Friday and it looks like it has some momentum. I read it's tracking for over a $130m opening. Let's hope it lives up to the hype.

20. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +48,905
    ---
    I thought some of the non-Flash humor seemed kind of forced in the trailer. I think the kid that plays The Flash will breathe the kind of life into this film that the kid that plays Spider-Man did in "Civil War".