SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Steelers
Sun
Dec 16th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Shocking Ending
Sunday's loss in Miami was shocking and will likely have the Patriots doing some second-guessing this week.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

OFFICIAL recommended watching thread

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by KontradictioN, Dec 5, 2017.

1. gomezcat

gomezcat Grumpy Englishman Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12
    Mrs Gomezcat and I are enjoying The Looming Tower. It's great drama and doesn't pull any punches.

• Useful Useful x 1

2. captain insano

captain insano Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,068
    details please? what channel is it on?

3. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,111
    I liked the first season, but was worried it was going to be a one-trick pony with all the trippiness, but this season has been amazing. Farouk has been around the block and he's every bit as formidable as advertised. Outstanding show.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gomezcat

gomezcat Grumpy Englishman Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12
    It's on Amazon Prime. It's an account of the events leading up to 9/11. It's rather controversial, because it alleges that interagency rivalry led to what happened.

As with all of these things, you have to remember that everyone has their own agenda.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. captain insano

Ratings:
    +3,068
    anybody watching homeland? its become very PC but its a excellent show.

6. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Josh Gordon's locker is next to Brady's. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +41,829
    Tuesday night’s episode.

[​IMG]

I’m a big fan of episodes where the main character is just a bit player and the other characters take over for a bit until the **** hits the fan.

“I feel something. The feeling that something bad is about to happen. Dread”. Then the windmill stops turning and you suddenly can’t hear the guards outside. I never re-watched Season 1, but do you remember why his sister was being so heavily guarded? Was it because of David?

EDIT: Oh and Aubrey Plaza might deserve an Emmy nod just based on that episode alone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
  7. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Not sure it was mentioned, but first season of Imposter on Netflix was great. Very little violence or nudity and a good film.

8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,164
    I've got to go find the local \W/ thread...

Anyway, there's a good one from the early 2000s called "Six Feet Under" that you can still find thru your cable provider.

Heard good things about "Better Call Saul," but I watched a couple of episodes of Breaking Bad and it just didn't do much for me.

9. maust1013

maust1013 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5,435
    The Americans series finale airs tomorrow night. It's arguably the best show nobody seems to watch, >800k households watched the penultimate episode last week. Over the years FX has put on some pretty good stuff from time to time...and done a dogjete job of pimping them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. captain insano

Ratings:
    +3,068
    I love the Americans. somebody has been watching. its been on 7 seasons. a show doesn't make it that long without good ratings. i recommend bosch. amazon prime.

11. maust1013

Ratings:
    +5,435
    Apparently some critically acclaimed shows do make it 7 seasons with ratings that are well south of what would be considered 'good' for most of the run. It hasn't broken a 1 share since the middle of the 4th season. Personally I think it's the 2nd best show ever to hit the small screen behind only The Wire.

12. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +1,028
    The finale episode of "Six Feet Under" was hands down the best series ending show. I like "Better Call Saul", nothing will be better then "Breaking Bad". The "Illusionist" on Hulu was a great movie. About a magician starring Edward Norton, Paul Giamatti, and Jessica Biel.

13. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +41,829
    I’m gonna have to stream both of those series someday. I have Breaking Bad as my personal GOAT right now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. maust1013

Ratings:
    +5,435
    Probably for the best, neither Omar or Elizabeth Jennings would make anywhere near as good an avatar

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. maust1013

Ratings:
    +5,435
    After being one of the better shows on TV it almost lost me last season. But season 4 was pretty mediocre too and 5 rocked so I gave it another shot and I'm glad I did. This season was as good as anything they've done since seasons 1 & 2.

16. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,111
    If I recall, the president of FX stated that he refused to cancel critically acclaimed shows, regardless of ratings. It's a smart move. Letting the Americans run to the end is a good way to build a brand centered on quality programming. Hell, I feel FX has some of the absolute best shows on the small screen right now.

It's too bad more people haven't seen it. It's in my Top 3 alongside Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. maust1013

Ratings:
    +5,435
    There's an incongruity there. So many generic/bad shows that everyone has either seen or is well aware of everywhere from the mainstream networks to web channels yet somehow FX, having every bit as much exposure as AMC, has one of the best shows of all time running in relative obscurity. Meanwhile TWD remains a flagship for AMC even though it hasn't produced more than 1 or 2 episodes a season worth watching for some time now and any third string character in The Americans can routinely be seen acting rings around the leads in TWD.

I think the thing that most separates a near perfect series (The Americans, The Wire) from a great one (GoT, The Sopranos, Homeland) and a great one from a very very good one (Sons of Anarchy, Penny Dreadful, Six Feet Under) is how often you come away from an episode with that wtf feeling and how much those moments piss you off. By wtf moments I mean plot holes you could take take a Kenworth through, principals doing something inexplicably out of character or moments defying the show's in universe parameters. In other words how often and how badly the writers/showrunners urinate on your buy in and/or insult your intelligence. The near perfect type series have virtually none of those moments, even when a character does something that might be batsh!t crazy it is not out of line with our concept of their character and/or the moment and as such it works. Never once can I recall a moment when The Americans or The Wire took a convenient shortcut and sold out their own credibility or continuity, that's so damn impressive. GoT gets away with a lot more of those moments than it otherwise would by virtue of being fantasy. The Sopranos & Homeland don't have anywhere near as many of them as GoT nor should they since believability is critical to their success. We tend to look past the ones they do have because we know going in we are seeing that world in no small part through the eyes of an unreliable narrator of sorts who is not mentally stable.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  18. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +41,829
    Recommending “Succession” on HBO. Brian Cox and Kieran Culkin are awesome in it and it’s produced by Will Ferrell and Adam McKay. It’s hilarious but serious at the same time.

19. maust1013

Ratings:
    +5,435
    It's on my watch list, I'm a big fan of Brian Cox.
    Our plan is to wait for the season to complete and binge it. The same with season 2 of Westworld, were going to start watching it after the 4th.

20. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +41,829
    As a business man, I love the show. The acting is great. Culkin is a very nice surprise in it and Cox is outstanding as per usual.