PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Pregame Thread- Pats @ Jets

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley

Banned
Reaction score
Many of us fans are still getting over Sundays game. Well, lets look ahead to this Sundays game against the Jets.

-Will Trent Brown be healthy enough to play, if not, who starts at RT (Herron or Cajuste)
-Will JJ be active
-Will Rham be put in the doghouse
-Will we see more down the field passes by Mac

Let's discuss and get ready for week 2

Last edited:
big story line this week

also on the other side

Can’t start 0-2 with two straight division losses. I expected the team to go 3-1 at worst 2-2 in the first four games.
That being said, i fully expect a win this Sunday.

-Will Trent Brown be healthy enough to play, if not, who starts at RT (Herron or Cajuste)
-Will JJ be active
-Will Rham be put in the doghouse
-Will we see more down the field passes by Mac
- All depends on rehab and practice. Cant be understated the value of a week of reps to a backup (regardless who it is) - also allows practice of methods to assist that change (harder in-game) such as the TE and RB chips, protection shifts, etc.
- Also depends on practice - we have two examples of "chronic" fumblers - Faulk and Ridley - one overcame it, the other not so much
- Miami did a tremendous job of tackling; one miss and one of those hot routes turns into a big gain - while providing that extra half second of pass pro to be able to throw a longer pass is one way to break the blitz - I would argue having a hot route turn into a big play is more so because most coaches are risk averse

I might be alone with this one but I do think Rham should play. Yes, he fumbled and probably deserves to watch Jets games as a punishment but he can play and should be given more chances to carry the load with Harris. Parking him is just a waste of a player. I also think JJ should get a chance.

- If Brown can't play then I'd like to see Cajuste start...which probably won't happen because he might have an injury? Is he wearing a red jersey in practice? Herron needs to sit for some games...his 2nd half was a disaster. So it may be Durant.
- JJ should be active and Rham inactive...at least for the Jets game...then re-evaluate
- I want to see Mac play exactly how he did against the Phins...conservative and mistake free

I might be alone with this one but I do think Rham should play. Yes, he fumbled and probably deserves to watch Jets games as a punishment but he can play and should be given more chances to carry the load with Harris. Parking him is just a waste of a player. I also think JJ should get a chance.
He also didn't fumble, the ball was dislodged by him already being down. I'd be more inclined to punish Harris, who actually did fumble (even though he arguably recovered it).

That said, I'd probably go with Harris and Taylor against the Jets. Harris has earned at least one free fumble over the last year, and Taylor should have been active against Miami in the first place.

- If Brown can't play then I'd like to see Cajuste start...which probably won't happen because he might have an injury? Is he wearing a red jersey in practice? Herron needs to sit for some games...his 2nd half was a disaster. So it may be Durant.
- JJ should be active and Rham inactive...at least for the Jets game...then re-evaluate
- I want to see Mac play exactly how he did against the Phins...conservative and mistake free
Excellent point on Durant, forgot about him, saw that he played last week and might be someone they are looking at closely against the Jets. We saw what a huge difference Brown made when he was in there, hoping he can come back but if not, we're looking at either Durant, Herron or Cajuste....don't think they would slide Owenu to RT, especially considering the positive reviews he received at guard.

He also didn't fumble, the ball was dislodged by him already being down. I'd be more inclined to punish Harris, who actually did fumble (even though he arguably recovered it).

That said, I'd probably go with Harris and Taylor against the Jets. Harris has earned at least one free fumble over the last year, and Taylor should have been active against Miami in the first place.
I think Taylor will be active this week, do you think Rham will be the 4th Rb active or do you think it goes to Bolden again? That is going to be very interesting.

I think Taylor will be active this week, do you think Rham will be the 4th Rb active or do you think it goes to Bolden again? That is going to be very interesting.
I think Bolden gets that spot until Rhamondre or someone else replaces that ST role, which is probably a big ask considering Bolden has stuck around almost a decade specifically to fill that role.

Excellent point on Durant, forgot about him, saw that he played last week and might be someone they are looking at closely against the Jets. We saw what a huge difference Brown made when he was in there, hoping he can come back but if not, we're looking at either Durant, Herron or Cajuste....don't think they would slide Owenu to RT, especially considering the positive reviews he received at guard.
Now that you mention it, Onwenu to RT might actually be the best move. Would you rather the OL coming in be Karras or one of those 3 guys you listed?

I'm not sure that's what BB will choose, though. If he opts for just a 1-1 replacement at the RT spot, I would like to see either Durant or Cajuste by virtue of them not being Herron. Durant looked at least better than Herron against Miami, although maybe still not good enough. Cajuste showed some preseason potential, but was graded low enough to be a healthy scratch 2 days ago. That's the only thing keeping me from saying it's him.

Now that you mention it, Onwenu to RT might actually be the best move. Would you rather the OL coming in be Karras or one of those 3 guys you listed?

I'm not sure that's what BB will choose, though. If he opts for just a 1-1 replacement at the RT spot, I would like to see either Durant or Cajuste by virtue of them not being Herron. Durant looked at least better than Herron against Miami, although maybe still not good enough. Cajuste showed some preseason potential, but was graded low enough to be a healthy scratch 2 days ago. That's the only thing keeping me from saying it's him.

I think if Brown was expected out longer term, they might do that. But let's assume he either has a decent chance to play this weekend, or is definitely expected back in week 3, now you're practicing with Onwenu at RT for a week, then reverting back for another week. I'd rather just find the best 1 to 1 replacement for this week and keep as much continuity as you can. It'll pay off as the season goes on.

At this point, RB actives will be determined by the game plan far more than single fumbles.
Harris will be beating himself up enough this week that the coaches will want to give him a rebound opportunity.
And as has been pointed out, Rham didn't fumble, the refs did.

Almost 30% of the Jets' total defensive snaps on Sunday came from their two practice squad elevations and four 5th-6th round rookies. There are some good players here, but also a ton of inexperience.

don't think they would slide Owenu to RT, especially considering the positive reviews he received at guard.
And I'm not in the camp of "oh just disrupt the entire line - that'll be better" by moving Onwenu to RT and inserting Karras at LG.

The best OLs are that way not just on talent alone, but on cohesiveness and comfort making actions instinct instead of "think" then "react". Those split seconds are the difference between a loss and a gain, a completion or a sack.

Replace one player - only one other player needs to become used to that new player. Replace two and the entire line (which according to reports had difficulty with stunts and curls and other DL movement games) now degrades; ESPECIALLY in communication and pass offs which we saw gave them all trouble as it was last week.

Jets only had 45 yards rushing against the Panthers and Wilson was sacked 6 times. This could be one of those games where BB stats against rookie QB's are going to increase !

Hightower was limping after the game. Interested to see his injury/practice designation tomorrow.

Wow, the Jets - Carolina game was awful football.
It was like the Jets didn't realize that McAfree is a star player. He spent the whole day being trailed by a LB assigned to him.
What does the Pats scheme take away from the Jets? Usually they focus on the #1 strength, but what would that be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes