PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official (not rumors) 2013 NFL Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really not impressed with their offseason. Dumervil was a coupe, but don't think guys like McClain, Spears, Canty, or Huff are all that. Three of those guys are massive underachievers during their careers. I don't know if they will go to Baltimore and finally get it there.

I agree. We're supposed to be impressed because they signed a bust with a demonstrable room temperature IQ?

Seahawks sign Antoine Winfield. Even at his age, you couldn't ask for a better nickel back to play 40-50% of snaps.

Maybe the Seahawks and 49ers end up falling flat on their faces, but their 2013 squads appear to be two of the best teams (on paper) in a long time.

Seahawks sign Antoine Winfield. Even at his age, you couldn't ask for a better nickel back to play 40-50% of snaps.

Maybe the Seahawks and 49ers end up falling flat on their faces, but their 2013 squads appear to be two of the best teams (on paper) in a long time.

Heresy, but I find both teams refreshingly interesting to watch.
Yes their winning will get old quickly.

The Seahawks are one Marshawn Lynch sideline stint away from having a questionable running game. I could see them going after a Running Back to help alleviate that concern, especially with question marks over Turbin. That said, they're putting together a helluva squad on paper.

man seahawks D is going to be downright scary next year

Someone closer to Foxborough than I should wake up the FO and congratulate them for not adding
even one new CB during free agency. Unbelievable.

Unless he was wildly overpaid, he's one who should have ended up in Gillette.

Someone closer to Foxborough than I should wake up the FO and congratulate them for not adding
even one new CB during free agency. Unbelievable.

I do agree we should have added someone at DB but I also think that the problem has been two fold the last few years first and foremost talent but not to far behind I think continuity has been a problem too. And I think by retaining the talent we did have in Talib (and to a lesser extent Arrington) and being able to leave McCourty at safety was more important than adding but it would have been nice to have both. I guess we can add via the draft.

Per Rapoport, Pats made a play at Winfield. He got 1 year 3 mil, I guess that was too expensive for a veteran leader and hell of a depth corner.

Sigh....

I do agree we should have added someone at DB but I also think that the problem has been two fold the last few years first and foremost talent but not to far behind I think continuity has been a problem too. And I think by retaining the talent we did have in Talib (and to a lesser extent Arrington) and being able to leave McCourty at safety was more important than adding but it would have been nice to have both. I guess we can add via the draft.

I don't disagree; I'm glad that both Talib & Arrington were re-signed, though Arrington was
definitely over-paid. And I am almost willing to bet money that CB will be Bill's first pick,
at 29 or somewhere in the early/mid 2nd round.

man seahawks D is going to be downright scary next year
Coach Pete Carroll has certainly learned his lesson from his time here, when he okayed the pitiful, pitiful drafting of a slow, short-armed 5' 8" rapper from Kansas State, Chris Canty.

I didn't think Welker was going to emerge alive from that Seahawk game last year. Huge guys in the secondary.

Per Rapoport, Pats made a play at Winfield. He got 1 year 3 mil, I guess that was too expensive for a veteran leader and hell of a depth corner.

Sigh....

its such a shame, but it clearly shows BB knows we need more CB's who can play outside

its such a shame, but it clearly shows BB knows we need more CB's who can play outside

The only guy left in FA that could give us outside depth would be Sheldon Brown. He actually played pretty well last year.

I guess that was too expensive for a veteran leader and hell of a depth corner.

Or Belichick offered a similar deal and he just chose the Seahawks. You do realize that the Patriots could have made the best offer and he could have went to Seattle and asked them to match it. Or it could be something as simple as with Seattle he is guaranteed to be the slot corner, here he would project to be a backup to the slot and outside.

The only guy left in FA that could give us outside depth would be Sheldon Brown. He actually played pretty well last year.

I agree. Unless Chris Gamble is coaxed out of retirement, then Brown, Quentin Jammer, Jacob Lacey,
Cedric Griffin & Shawntae Spencer all really all that's left.

For our sakes, I certainly hope he does. In fact, I find it more likely now than ever that Bill will use
his first pick, be it 29 or wherever, on a CB.

I agree. Unless Chris Gamble is coaxed out of retirement, then Brown, Quentin Jammer, Jacob Lacey,
Cedric Griffin & Shawntae Spencer all really all that's left.

Cross out Spencer and Lacey for me. Lacey's more of a nickel back, and Spencer's way past being very useful. Jammer and Griffin are nice suggestions, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes