PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Free Agency 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snooky97

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Admins feel free to remove or merge into the correct area, as no idea if this has been started or not yet.

It’s pretty clear how we lost this years Super Bowl and that’s simply because we couldn’t stop an offensive or create any pressure.

So obviously i feel we will hit this draft hard and get a lot of our new defensive players through the draft this year.

Onto the free agents there are a couple of guys I am interested in.

TE - Tyler Eifert - project cap hit 3M.
Pros -
is a poor mans Gronkowski.
good hands.
solid blocking.

Cons-
The guy gets injured an awful lot and I don’t think he’s ever done a full season yet. Feel he is worth the risk.

Opinion - Will depend on if Marty is Cut and what Gronkowski will want to do this year. If Marty is cut I would like to see him here.

WR - Sammy Watkins

Pros -
Give him a one year prove it deal.
Has the ability to be a good redzone threat for us.
Hes a bigger target, allowing different mismatches for us.

Cons -
Could get franchised at LA.
Has had poor production in the league, could be down to having poor QB play. ( this year was a better year for him)

Opinion - this could be an interesting option for us this year, I cannot see the rams letting him go as Goff needs talent to help him. Cap Room may prevent us from getting him.

Defensive free agents

DT - Dontari Poe

Pros -
Big Size DT
Can stop the run for us.
Has experience which could help the young Dline
Could be Alan Branch replacement?

Cons -
Could be wanting more money than we are willing to part with.
Atlanta gave him an 8 mil prove it deal this year and looks like he wants more of a multi year contract.

Opinion - again this could be a cap issue and will depend on how much money he would want, if we have the cap room and he wants to play and can prove he can, I say we take a look at him.

DT/DE - Sheldon Richardson
3-4 DE
4-3 DT

Pros -
Can rush from the DT position and can give us an interior pass rush which we have lacked for a number of years.
Can stop the run as well.
Could be available for a good price 4 years 40 mil?

Cons -
He may want a lot more money than we are willing to offer him.
Can have discipline issues throughout his career

Opinion - out of Poe and Sheldon Richardson I’d rather have Richardson, feel he would offer us a lot more with regards to what we need. Again the biggest issue here is going to be creating the cap space.

Obviously there are lots more out there but this was mainly just to get a feeler out there and opinions of everyone else. There’s potential for this years free agency to potentially get us a bit stronger.

The Patriots don't have a ton of cap room. They definitely don't need a wide receiver. Sheldon Richardson would be my top target in free agency. A cheaper veteran corner like Rashaan Melvin, Prince Amukamara, or TJ Carrie to replace Butler is probably worth a shot.

Allen Robinson great receiver coming off injury seems like the Belichick special.
Terrelle Pryor couldn't be stopped in Cleveland had a horrible snake bit year in Washington will come cheaper than he should.
Breshaud Breeland bring him in to have length and athleticism at both cornerback positions.
DeMarcus Lawrence what ever it takes the man is just a difference maker which this defense does not have and we can't rely on the health of Hightower and jagness of other backers.
The Mcclein experiment must end or he takes a pay cut to compete.
Dwayne Allen must go at that dollar amount you can find a blocking tight end in the draft he goes or we cut his salary.
Kenny Britt why didn't we try him out All after signing the man for next year?
He could of made some kind of impact I'm sure.

I'll add a few.

Bashaud Breeland or Kyle Fuller

Don't know if it would be possible from a cap perspective but I like the idea of fixing the secondary in free agency and LB and pass rush in the draft.

Jeff Janis or Donte Moncrief

This might be controversial but I'd try to trade Cooks. I like him, I just don't think he's a game changer. And I'd like him to be for 8 million. Plus, I don't see him signing here after next season. Janis and Moncrief could be hogan-like additions. And especially Janis should come fairly cheap.

The Patriots don't have a ton of cap room. They definitely don't need a wide receiver. Sheldon Richardson would be my top target in free agency. A cheaper veteran corner like Rashaan Melvin, Prince Amukamara, or TJ Carrie to replace Butler is probably worth a shot.

Melvin already dropped by couple of years ago, after he was dropped by the Ravens. We dropped him as well.

There's going to be a lot of competition in camp, I think. I expect a large amount of signings of hungry role players with lesser name recognition, especially on defense.

I also think they're active trading down in the draft this year and have several deals with the Colts and Lions go down.

I know the cap is ridiculously tight but I think il send a tweet to miguel later on and see what he reckons we could be looking at from a cap perspective. Wonder if Brady will reconstruct his contract again?

There's going to be a lot of competition in camp, I think. I expect a large amount of signings of hungry role players with lesser name recognition, especially on defense.

I also think they're active trading down in the draft this year and have several deals with the Colts and Lions go down.

I think we may trade up if Vita Vea is there in the 20s. He’s a real difference maker reminds me of Wilfork but more athletic

I know the cap is ridiculously tight but I think il send a tweet to miguel later on and see what he reckons we could be looking at from a cap perspective. Wonder if Brady will reconstruct his contract again?
Looks like he’s way ahead of us.

Focus on defense and offensive line.

Don't bother looking at offensive skill positions.

I am more than fine with Edelman, Mitchell, Cooks, Hogan, Amendola, Dorsett and Britt competing at WR.

Bring in as many linebackers as you can. Try to fine a pass rushing DT.

CB is also a need (more than Rowe and Cyrus Jones to compete at that spot).

Looks like he’s way ahead of us.

You have just beaten me to this as well. Interesting we could have up to 25-35m in cap space and that’s without Brady potentially reconstructing his contract.

I think it could be another interesting free agency period

I am more than fine with Edelman, Mitchell, Cooks, Hogan, Amendola, Dorsett and Britt competing at WR.

Tyler Eifert is a target I think. Especially if Bennett or Allen get cut or don’t reconstruct their contracts.

Linebackers I feel will be a Draft selections as there’s no one in this current free agency that has the athletical ability that we need.

Pass rushing DT is Sheldon Richardson.

Corner there’s a couple in the draft we can potentially look at getting.

Breeland is my pick
I'll start looking under Rocks though.
So knowing BBs strategy he will target teams with new coaching staffs.
Let's say Patricia, McDaniels and Vrabel avoid trading with BB to not have it accidentally blow up in their face.
That leaves Chicago,Arizona, NY Giants, Oakland, let's also look at teams he's had a history of trading with so you have to include the Chiefs and Niners and lesser extent Bengals

These are the teams that we have the highest percentage to make transactions with if history repeats.
Id eliminate the likelihood of trades with anyone in the AFC east I'll also lump Pittsburgh,Denver and Baltimore in the no trade pile although we did make a small trade to Denver and gave them a Tight end.
So I would start scouting players from the aforementioned teams.
Next Belichick loves guys with solid production but our on the bench in favor of a starter longtime longtime veteran.
Or guys who have been out due to injury.
He especially targets player who do well against him.
This is the formula to mentally build what we can expect the 2018 Patriots to look like.

Tyler Eifert is a target I think. Especially if Bennett or Allen get cut or don’t reconstruct their contracts.

Linebackers I feel will be a Draft selections as there’s no one in this current free agency that has the athletical ability that we need.

Pass rushing DT is Sheldon Richardson.

Corner there’s a couple in the draft we can potentially look at getting.

I don't think Bennett will be back...he's been talking about retirement..leaving off and on...not sure his head is all in right now or will be

League-wide roster purges have just barely begun. The players who are released immediately become SFA who are often cheaper than UFA.

At the moment, those include:

DT - Nick Fairly, NOL
DT/DE - Tony McDaniel, NOL (age 33)
CB - David Amerson, OAK

Lots more to come over the next few weeks.

It's okay to dream about the Pats signing guys like Lawrence, but the reality is that the Pats can't spend what they don't have in cap space, and they'd be stupid to spend all or most of what they do have on just one player, "difference maker" or not.

As always, there are multiple roster holes to fill and positions to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes