PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread: Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leading the team in tackles is all well and good.. Until you look at the context and see how many of them were more than 4 yards down field..

Many of those “4yd down the field tackles“ were saving other's people's ass. He's tackling very close to LOS on HIS assignments.
5 TFL & 5 QB hits is a stat too.

All I can say is you have try real hard to be this inept at drafting. As if there's not good talent that you can pick, and guys that will help the team in areas of need in the top 3 rounds. BB is back to his top-of-class hubris. He'll take lower ranked guys at the top, trade away valuable 3rd round choices for a bunch of 6th/7th round picks that won't make it through TC. Picking a WR in the 2nd is basically dooming him to bust in NE. And picking a shrimp of CB/Returner in the 3rd... every pick was a shocker to pros who believe the guy would be there 2 rounds later.

Here's an example for you to think about. The Patriots traded a 4th round pick for Randy Moss on Mother's Day in 2007 after the draft. Belichick just picked up a 3rd in next year's draft. It replaces the one he traded, and gives him a pick to use in the next couple of weeks when the dust settles after the draft. Stay tuned.
We got Moss on the morning of day 2. Story goes he flew in that night for a physical too or just to meet the team.

I remember it beautifully too. Moss rumors had started even the year before and they were heavy leading up to the draft and just before the draft started our first pick that day disappeared from the ticker and I started getting excited with my father even though we weren't sure yet.

Pats have picked exactly according to need so far. I'll be we see these 4th rounders - OT, EDGE, OLB.
And a C, another CB, and trading up to get the left-footed punter Araiza.

All I can say is you have try real hard to be this inept at drafting. As if there's not good talent that you can pick, and guys that will help the team in areas of need in the top 3 rounds. BB is back to his top-of-class hubris. He'll take lower ranked guys at the top, trade away valuable 3rd round choices for a bunch of 6th/7th round picks that won't make it through TC. Picking a WR in the 2nd is basically dooming him to bust in NE. And picking a shrimp of CB/Returner in the 3rd... every pick was a shocker to pros who believe the guy would be there 2 rounds later.
It’s been widely reported that Thornton was about to be scooped up by someone else and Bill traded up to grab him first. The run on WRs IMMEDIATELY afterwards is evidence of that. Marcus Jones was not a reach at all. You’re very off base. The only “reach” so far is Strange, who seems like he probably would have made it another half round but not much further. “2 rounds later“ simply isn’t true in any of these cases.

This is a great response by Matt Groh. Cole Strange has very similar characteristics as Logan Mankins who was also a "Who?!?" selection in the first round out of Fresno State. If we know anything around here, we know the Patriots understand how to draft offensive linemen. Strange is nasty, strong, versatile like Mankins and has the best draftee name since Zoltan Mesko.

Maybe Patriots can strike GOLD again, and look for CB help post draft? (ala, JC)
Jones is no way a slot corner @ 5'8". He will get burned by TEs at 6'4"-plus.

Jones replaces Gunner as returner.

Pats have picked exactly according to need so far. I'll be we see these 4th rounders - OT, EDGE, OLB.
I'm hoping CB, OT, and DL/Edge.

This is a great response by Matt Groh. Cole Strange has very similar characteristics as Logan Mankins who was also a "Who?!?" selection in the first round out of Fresno State. If we know anything around here, we know the Patriots understand how to draft offensive linemen. Strange is nasty, strong, versatile like Mankins and has the best draftee name since Zoltan Mesko.
Agreed. I just hope he causes D-Lineman to experience some strange Sundays.

I want that punter too. The potential net benefit in yards per game and per year excites me.

The funny thing is the same ****ting people will come back 4-5 years from now ****ting on Bill for not giving Strange top $ : )

You can basically write/copy-paste the whole thread already..

I want that punter too. The potential net benefit in yards per game and per year excites me.
They have three fourths so they can use one on him if they want. Of course folks will cry about another ”reach”.

Worst draft after first two days?

Patsies.

Lapped the field in fact.

I ****ing Hate Bill Belichick. I wish he dropped ****ing Dead right ****ing Now.

And doG Hates US all.

Patsies.

I ****ing Hate Bill Belichick. I wish he dropped ****ing Dead right ****ing Now.

And doG Hates US all.
dog-the-bounty-hunter-may-face-serious-charges-tries-apprehending-brian-laundrie-against-will-768x461.jpg

Peppers is a safety...I'm fine with him...so is Duggar. McGrone is a complete unknown at this point, projected to be a ST/Backup LB. Our starting LB's are turtles by today's standard and again,were exposed every single series against Buffalo in the playoffs. THIS is an area I want to see improved. We have yet to do that IMO.
If speed at LB is your concern, we look to be moving from 1644 snaps (which is about 70% of the lb snaps) played by older bigger slower players (Hightower, Kvn, Collins) to being played by faster LBs like McMillan, Wilson, mcgrone.
Our nickel base uses a safety as a lb so that’s either Philips, Dugger, or peppers.
What players that are still on the tram and will play regularly do you consider slow? Seems we moved on from the slow guys. The replacements may have different issues but you seem to have gotten your wish of the defense getting faster. We just have to see if faster is better.
FYI as far as the Bills are concerned the pronate problems was Bryant in the slot so we now have Jones back plus we just drafted a guy who projects as a stud slot corner with blazing speed.

Patsies.

And doG Hates US all.
It must feel like Christmas to you. If you liked the draft and had nothing to complain about I think we’d need to put you on suicide watch.

A few years from now a couple of teams that had 2/3 1st rd picks this year will be hurting to pay guys if they have great results.
People forget, that $ makes a difference, if you have 5 guys that are "9" good that will cost you 50 million, but another team has 6 guys that are 8 good, and could be better, at 30 mill, with 93 guys and insurance you gotta pay, does this matter to you?
Some don't get this.
I'm not sure $ had anything to do with the trade down, but I'm certain it didn't hurt, and they all know.
The reasons you list is exactly why you shouldn't draft a G in the 1st round (especially if he's an over reach). You want to take a QB, LT, DL, Edge, or WR because of value. Regardless of the quality of the player, it was a bad pick.

....and ~$100m in cap space
$79M w/ 34 players signed. That'll go down w/ draftees + Pats have <$1M in cap right now, so they'll have to move some to 2023 to free up enough to continue to operate in 2022.

$79M w/ 34 players signed. That'll go down w/ draftees + Pats have <$1M in cap right now, so they'll have to move some to 2023 to free up enough to continue to operate in 2022.
34 players signed is on the higher side, though, relative to their cap space. Only 12 teams have more than 34 players signed for 2023, and of those 12 teams, only two have more than $20M in cap space for 2023. So having both 34 players signed AND close to $80M in cap space is notable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down