SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

SOURCE:Boston.com

SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
World Champs!
Tom Brady and the Patriots won their sixth championship on Sunday night after a tough defensive battle over the Rams.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Official 2019 free agency watch thread

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by festy1986, Feb 5, 2019.

1. long distance

long distance Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +23,114

Projected 2019 cap gain for TB extension is 10.4M at OTC.

“Unfortunately“ they might have to wait until August to do it.. or maybe not - no definite answer around it seems..

• Useful Useful x 1

2. reamer

reamer Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +12,892
    Dude, did you just look at his size and 40 and decide he's good? :p

Boykin is an interesting project, but he's not a great receiver. Any time he ran into a good CB (like Williams from Vandy), he couldn't separate and basically didn't do anything all game. He has the physical tools but not the route running savvy. There are quite a few tall receivers in this draft who are significantly more advanced at actually playing football, regardless of their testing numbers. Watch full games, not highlights.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,534
    $10M is nonsense.

Let us say that Brady's $15M of new money is shifted to a salary of $2M and a bonus or $40M over 5 years. The new cap would still be $10M for a $5M savings.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. long distance

Ratings:
    +23,114
    The candidate for most overpaid player over last 2 seasons makes a bold (probably stupid) move. Im not sure how much they asked for (maybe all of it :D) but there should be a rude reality check coming to Josh instead of that big one..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. ChrisR2223

ChrisR2223 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +9,621
    I'd bring him back for Depth
    At a CHEAP CONTRACT

6. long distance

Ratings:
    +23,114

He is very good w contested balls all over the field and some YAC ability iirc?

7. long distance

Ratings:
    +23,114

Id trust OTC though it is just a projection. I dont think you know how it works. I know you dont know what kind of contract they will sign (length, total etc..). Im almost sure it will not be a restructure but extension - so more pliability there..

Here's Brees example from a couple of days ago:

8. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,534
    Obviously, it is an extension. Miguel and others have discussing a new contract for 6 months. What contract is your idea of an extension? What is OTC's example contract?

To save more, the team would need to give Brady almost no money in 2019, deferring payment to guaranteed future money. So, the bonus would need to be say $10M over 5 years, with a $2M salary. Now the cap savings would be $10M.

9. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +27,104
    Playing with fire restructuring Bennett with 2 years left at 7.2 and 8.5.
    I don’t remember the last time we took that approach, at least with anyone other than brady.
    We don’t tend to see throwing a bunch of money into next year as a smart move.

10. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +27,104
    No but it’s not going to save a ton, if even anything significant.

11. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +27,104
    It has to be an extension because he is in the final year. Restructuring doesn’t spread any money.
    He currently has 12 mill of amortized Sb and a 15 mill salary.
    Rumors were 3/100 with 50 guaranteed.
    If they also convert 14 of his 15 to sb that cuts about 10 mill bit then you have to add 1/4 of the new signing bonus, so there isn’t a lot to save. Maybe a couple mill, I’d guess 5 is the very top. But that would mean about 105 of hits over the next 3 years.
    Is it worth it to save 5 and drop his 19 hit to 22 in order to make the next 3 years 35 a piece?

12. titletownpats

titletownpats Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +435

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 3
  13. reamer

Ratings:
    +12,892
    I don't really agree about the contested catches. I should probably follow up in the draft forum, but I'm committed to cutting some gifs now. Let's do this. :)

Boykin has a lot of promise. I marked him down mid-season as a possible mid-late round Patriots prospect, and when he tested out of this world (nearly joined the 3Sigma club) I went back to review his film and did see some positives. If he makes it to the mid rounds, then sure, roll the dice. He's capable of some monster blocks. Love him from that perspective. I'll try to lay out some concerns, though.

As an X, his route releases all look almost the same. He has two main techniques: throw someone off him in press, or get up on their toes and release outside. He doesn't incorporate a lot of hand placement or head fakes, or any further nuance, just tries to run past people. Sometimes it works, but usually it gives away his route too early.

Sometimes he does try different releases. Here he doesn't show the foot speed or explosion that his testing numbers would suggest, but he does at least force the LB Simmons into a speed turn. He sees the ball, but fails to come back for it or outjump the defender (a LB who converted from S). This is a consistent pattern I've seen from him on contested catches. He doesn't have JJAW's body control or positioning, that's for sure:

Later in the game, he finally has another inside release and wins, but he doesn't really stack the defender or play the leverage at the top of the route, so even though he was open, he lets the defender come back to break up the pass. I don't see a lot of understanding of how to box out or how to give himself an advantage in making a contested catch.

Or again, last year against LSU, he just sort of reaches for the ball instead of working back to win positioning first -- good contested catch receivers have the ability to make catches with their footwork and body control first, hands second, if that makes sense.

To be fair, he also had a great leaping catch and run for a TD later in that game (if he were Gronk he may have been called for OPI), so the potential is there. When it all comes together for him, he can look special, like he did on that TD:

One of the big problems I have watching him is that he gives away the route too early. Corners almost always know when he's going vertically, and even with his 4.4 speed and 6'4/220 frame, he can't consistently separate. He occasionally runs a comeback or back shoulder route, but he's not an advanced receiver at all.

This is already getting longer than I intended; I can pick back up in the draft forum if there's any interest, since I wanted to highlight a lot more clips. I should do some real work, though, before my boss gets upset. Not very Patriots way of me -- I'm not doing my job. :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  14. reamer

Ratings:
    +12,892
    Not unexpected, but I had hopes he might improve in a second year with the organization. I've always loved watching him play, even going back to college, so it was fun to cheer for him while he was on the team, even if he did lose edge contain a lot. I'll appreciate the physicality and hustle he showed out there, however, and I'm glad he was able to earn a ring!

Best of luck, Adrian. Maybe I'll even name my third son after you. ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. long distance

Ratings:
    +23,114

Miguel is normally on the conservative/safe side which is ok. Its where Pats usually are as well. But IF they'll need it they'll be more aggressive . WHEN they can.

So anywhere between 5M-10M depending on need/sense. if it can be done only in AUG i doubt they'll need to be too aggressive though..

16. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +27,104
    That is almost impossible.
    To save 10.4 they would have to convert 14 mill to signing bonus, add 4 more years 14-14/5 = 11.2 and basically give him no newcdignng bonus as part of the extension.
    Why would brady sign a 4 year extension and get no money whatsoever up front?

17. long distance

Ratings:
    +23,114

Thanks @reamer! great job as always.

Just watched him in a few live games and LSU was probably one of them. Felt like mature, overall player (incl. blocking etc). Thanks for saving me some precious time..

• Like Like x 1
  18. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +27,104
    You do understand that brees had more salary to convert to signing bonus right?

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +45,725

• Useful Useful x 3
  20. Chevrolet

Chevrolet Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +312
    The fact that Patriots were willing to go to 10M for a slot receiver, says a lot. It must mean that they are not expecting more than one more year from Edelman and that they do not think Berrios will be a major WR contributor.
    I wonder if they still would have re--signed Dorsett if they had been succesful with Humphries.