SOURCE:ProFootballTalk.com

SOURCE:Boston Sports Journal

SOURCE:Boston Sports Journal

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
World Champs!
Tom Brady and the Patriots won their sixth championship on Sunday night after a tough defensive battle over the Rams.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Official 2019 free agency watch thread

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by festy1986, Feb 5, 2019.

1. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +9,931
    I think it's pretty likely if he's clean his indefinite suspension will be lifted. Maybe with just time served but probably at least 4 more to start the year. Unfortunately I don't know how likely it is he will be clean and/or will stay clean.

• Useful Useful x 1

2. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +45,721
    You wouldn't be taking Bell and leaving all other RB slots on his team empty, so why would you make that comparison? Every down that Bell is on the field is a down where you've got a top level RB1 and a top level 3dRB on the field at the same time. New England simply can't match that. And there's no shame in that. BB, McDaniels and Brady are able to work around that comparative weakness.

And, in New England, players other than "the trio" ran and caught the ball.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  3. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +2,150
    Still perplexed over bb’s strategy as far as our kicking game goes.

Another factor to consider is we have 6 of the first 101 picks. Kirby smart could help us at wide receiver, provided we draft Ridley for the z position and Hardman as a slot guy. The last Georgia receiver we drafted picked up our offense fairly quickly.

4. JackBauer

JackBauer Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +6,697
    Eh, don’t really care since it’s just my personal opinion, shaped by my perception of Bell as a supremely talented but sort of mentally weak player.

I think if you’re a team like the Patriots that’s accustomed to going to the playoffs every year (i.e. not the Jets), then I think you put more value on guys who you know are fully invested, and who you know you can count on in nearly any situation.

5. signbabybrady

Ratings:
    +9,931
    The comparison was made due to dollars spent. Of course Bell will have back ups too but that will also increase the dollars committed. We're getting more production for less money sounds better to me.

6. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +45,721
    I know why the comparison was made, and I appreciate the benefits of RBBC. Your argument just fails to incorporate too many external influences and, therefore, doesn't hold water, IMO. That's not on you, because most can't be quantified and accounted for, but they are necessary if you're going to try making numerical comparisons of the sort you're using have any real value. Beyond the "OMG! More runs/passes!", you're ignoring things like system and team and impact of other players, and impact of the RBs in question on the opposing team's defenses, etc...

Bell (career) over the Patriots 2018 crew is an easy call when it comes solely to the on-field side of things. Had Michel been an actual receiving threat, that might be different. Hell, 2019 could see it completely flip around. But, unless we see Bell decline and/or Michel become a much better receiver, Bell's the way to go in this discussion.

7. holyredeemer

holyredeemer 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1,341
    Well, that’s just your opinion. Man!

8. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20,331
    Really?

I wouldn’t be standing at the betting window, waiting to place that wager if I were you. I don’t know the contract details yet, but as you know, there will likely be 12-13-14 WRs that come through here before the season starts. Ellington could have been signed to act as a KR candidate. One or both will almost certainly end up as camp fodder. It’s probable that at least one is a special teams only guy.

Let’s say Gordon satisfies his obligations and returns for TC. That leaves Edelman, Gordon, Dorsett, and (almost certainly) a draft pick, not to mention the possibility of a guy like Cobb or Nelson. Berrios will be in the mix. There will likely be a couple of UDFAs in the mix. There will be trades and camp cuts to ponder. As usual, there will be lots of movement at the position.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  9. signbabybrady

Ratings:
    +9,931
    I don't think your giving our trio from last year enough credit. And please enlighten us to these external influences that can't be quantified and accounted for? On second thought don't. I'm going to bed. And there will be better things to discuss in this thread tomorrow.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  10. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20,331
    Aside from being a Jet, why are people down on Bell? Is it because he sat out, last year? I understand that he gambled on the market and lost in the sense that he would’ve been the highest paid RB in the game had he hit the open market, last year, but are people really debating whether or not LeVeon Bell is a top 5 RB?

Unless he comes back as a shell of his former self, the Jets got themselves a quality bell cow RB. Lucky for us, they still suck in most other areas.

11. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +45,721
    Silly notion. Nothing I said minimized last year's group. It's not news to anyone that Michel ran but didn't catch, that White's not a good runner, or that Burkhead is a Swiss Army knife who gets nicked up and who's 3rd in the pecking order. It's also not news that White's an excellent receiving back, that Michel ran hard and effectively when healthy, or that Burkhead functions well in the hybrid role.

I already listed some.

12. signbabybrady

Ratings:
    +9,931
    I guess I did miss that you listed some of examples did I mention I'm headed to bed. but nothing you mentioned can't and wasn't quantified through my time watching all these guys play.

13. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +45,721
    That's obviously not true.

14. LJRomanoff

LJRomanoff Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +784
    That assumes a lot about a guy who hasn't been on the field in over a year.

15. ausbacker

ausbacker TB12 PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,664
    Watching James Conner's performances sowed the seed of system doubt in the market.

16. venecol

venecol PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,611
    2018 Patriots Receivers
    Player: REC (% REC) SAME/NEW (2018 REC)

White: 86 (23%) SAME
    Edelman: 74 (20%) SAME
    Gronk: 47 (13%) SAME
    Gordon: 40 (11%) SAME
    Hogan: 35 (9%) Mo HARRIS (28)
    Dorsett: 31 (8%) SAME
    CP: 21 (6%) ELLINGTON (31)
    Burkhead: 14 (4%) SAME
    Develin: 12 (3%) SAME
    Michel: 7 (2%) SAME
    Hollister: 4 (1%) SAME
    Allen: 3 (<1%) M. LACOSSE (24)
    Hill: 1 (<1%) BOLDEN (3)

Looking at the above strictly based on receptions, the new FAs improve last years numbers. Patriots don't need flashy WRs (they don't have any) to achieve their goals. FB/RB/TEs caught >46% of Brady's passes in 2018.

May be one reason why A- type WRs that are divas and want stats don't want to play in NE. They probably know they won't get the receptions they are looking for. This on top of the fact they will have to work twice as hard and "buy into" the system.

Only real benefit is 95% chance of making playoffs and good chance of getting a ring.

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. Patsgofor4

Patsgofor4 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +775
    What do Pennel, Brooks, Harris, Ellington and Lacosse Sportif have in common? None of them negatively impact the Pats in the draft compensation formula, for a variety of reasons (cut, option declined, non-tendered). I believe that Bolden would be the only potential exception, however, the Pats may have structured his salary such that he falls below the compensation minimum (like Jeremy Hill last year).

If you are convinced that this is just some strange coincidence, please turn in your Pats fan card and join JetFan79 in rejoicing the Bell signing, prior to another sub 500 season.

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
  18. venecol

Ratings:
    +3,611
    In 2018:

Hogan / CP / Allen / Hill: 60 receptions

Harris / Ellington / LaCosse: 83 receptions

Seems like we replaced JAGS with better JAGS. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. venecol

Ratings:
    +3,611
    Dov Kleiman (@NFL_DovKleiman) Tweeted:
    New #Giants WR Golden Tate posted his version of the Jerry Maguire scene: "Show me the money!" Dov Kleiman on Twitter

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. TommyD4207

TommyD4207 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6,437
    Difference is, Baker Mayfield is an actual NFL QB, set the rookie record for TDs in a season.

Darnold sucks, and you know it.