SOURCE:CBS Boston

SOURCE:CBS Boston

SOURCE:ProFootballTalk.com

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
World Champs!
Tom Brady and the Patriots won their sixth championship on Sunday night after a tough defensive battle over the Rams.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Official 2019 free agency watch thread

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by festy1986, Feb 5, 2019.

1. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,028
    OK, So we have
    Gilmore, McCourty, Jackson, and Jones
    Chung, Harmon, McCourty
    Ebner (special teams)

To me that's a great 7. But yes, we do need new players for the future, and backups in case of injuries. We now have Dawson, Crossen and Obi. Sure, we can always use youngsters competing for future spots, who might turn out to be a contributor as a rookie (like Jackson and Butler before him).

As an aside, sure thing or not, Dawson will make the 53, and be given a chance to develop. At least that has been Belichick's way for 18 years.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019

2. Snooky97

Snooky97 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2,138
    Hogan is gone for me, he’s been far to inconsistent this season. The Super Bowl performance from him was non existent.

Dorsett is a guy I’d like us to keep, he’s not a #2 but he’s definitely a strong #3 and he also has Brady’s trust as well as solid hands.

TEs - Allen needs to redo his contract he will not be on this team with his expected cap hit for the new season. I’d give him a 5 year contract 15m contract

If we loose Gronk then I’m okay with it, he’s done so much for this team and has put his body through hell for us and I’d hate to see him hurt himself even more. If he wants to stay then I have no problems with it but I think the contract will be looked at.

WRs/TEs - we need some guys that can get open against Man coverage as the Super Bowl Shown is all, it’s only Gronk or Jules that we’re open. We need to get two outside guys that can beat man coverage.

TEs - The draft is filled with talent. I’d love us to double dip at the position if the board goes the way I hope and guys get over drafted and TEs fall! We could be looking back at the 11” offense possibly

I’d like us to keep Simon - reminds me of Ninko/Vrabel does everything solid and is a pure team guy too.

D-Mac - hopefully he won’t retire but he will need to redo his contract, he’s not worth 13.3m of the cap. He’s the one guy I worry about the most for us trying to replace.

Trey Flowers - give him a 13-15m a year and make sure there’s incentives to increase the money he can earn

Trent Brown - If they can get him to sign a reasonable contract, again with incentives then they should.

Malcom Brown/Danny Shelton - keep whichever guy is cheaper, or we go via the draft there’s plenty DT in this years draft that could be an improvement.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +44,531
    Falcons set to release Robert Alford

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +44,531
  5. TommyBrady12

TommyBrady12 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +14,425
    If Flowers is gone, who do you sign to replace him? Frank Clark, Ziggy Ansah, or Brandon Graham could be possibilities...

6. Snooky97

Ratings:
    +2,138
    Frank Clark should be franchised by the seahawks if they can’t get a long term deal sorted.

Ansah would be interesting but major medical issues.

Brandon graham - haven’t seen a lot of him if I’m honest, but he’s more than likely the more reasonable one.

If I had my choice it would be Frank Clark

7. ChrisR2223

ChrisR2223 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +8,862
    Gillllllllllllllllllllll
    I got to meet and hang out with Graham great guy
    Not a Pats fan.

8. scott99

scott99 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4,758
    Jared Cook please, if Gronk retires.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +5,571
    Think Ansah is getting the tag

10. mgteich

Ratings:
    +7,028

11. mgteich

Ratings:
    +7,028
    I love Gronk. But Gronk was NOT open. The rams made sure of that.

12. mgteich

Ratings:
    +7,028

13. mgteich

Ratings:
    +7,028
    DMac
    Cap space is irrelevant. It is just accounting for previous compensation. He will make $9.5M for his services in 2019. If the patriots think that he isn't worth that, he should be traded. There will be lots of interest. The BOTTOM LINE is that there is no reason for him to play for less for the patriots. He has a contract, a reasonable one.

Flowers
    We cannot GIVE HIM $13M-$15M a year. That is likely to be far less than other will pay. At that range, there will be a half dozen teams bidding more.

Brown
    I'm not good at evaluating compensation for LT's. However, Miguel estimates $10M AAV. I think that this is reasonable, and that we should want to pay that. I suspect that this will not be enough to secure his services.

14. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10,291
    The broken record.. "we need a deep threat"..

NO. We don't NEED a deep threat. The Patriots won 3 SBs without having a bonifide "deep threat". What "deep threat" did they have in 2014? In 2016? In 2018?

What the Patriots NEED are receivers who can create windows and have the QBs confidence to catch the damn ball when it's thrown to them.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
  15. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10,291
    Always love when Deus says that, essentially, almost the whole team needs to be upgraded despite them having just won the SB..

Reality is this.
    The Patriots have 5 players from their 2018 draft class returning from injury.
    OT Isaiah Wynn, LB Ja'whaun Bentley, LB Christian Sam, WR Braxton Berrios, TE Ryan Izzo

Bentley had won the starting MLB job before his injury..

The Patriots have 12 draft picks in the upcoming draft.

That's 17 players right there.

Not to mention that the Pats also have guys like Kamalu, Melifonwu, and Dawson. And contrary to Deus, it's not a bad sign if Dawson doesn't have the ability or consistency yet to take snaps from Harmon, DMac, or Chung. Most people felt he was a bit of a project to fit into the Pats defense.

QB - Had just read an article that Etling has made huge progress. That he had taken the page out of Brady's book about being one of the first in. About working on his footwork. About watching tons of film. About asking TONS of questions. It will be interesting to see how that work plays out. I could see them drafting someone in the later rounds and having them fight it out for #2.

As of this moment, WR, DT, CB are the 3 major areas when the Pats have holes.

For 2019:
    WR: Edelman, Berrios (I), C. Hollister(I), D. Patterson, D. Andrews(I)
    DT: Guy, A. Butler, Kamalu, Herron
    CB: Gilmore, J. Jackson, Crossen, A. Howard.

For DT, they need someone as an anchor. Probably going to have to add that person via the draft. I liked the bits that I saw of Kamalu. I think that he could be a great 3rd down inside pass rusher.

For WR, they need outside guys who can create windows and catch the damn ball. None of this tippy crap we saw from Hogan..

For CB, I'd love for them to bring back JMac for a year. I think that he'd been an excellent guy to have come off the bench to spell either Gilmore or Jackson or in multiple receiver sets. Jonathan Jones(RFA) should be back which would give them 2 deep for coverage of slot receivers.

TE: May or may not be a hole. The team really liked Izzo in TC and I think he'd have made the team if not for his injury. The team may move on from Hollister since he can't seem to stay healthy. I think the team really likes Stephen Anderson as well.

DE: Wise, Rivers, Davis, Clayborn. They need Trey Flowers back. Plain and simple. Next season is the make or break season for Rivers. Davis, imho, should be cut/traded. He doesn't have what it takes to be a Patriots DE. Simon and Flowers are UFA. I'd love to see another young guy besides having Flowers back..

LB: Hightower, Roberts, Van Noy, Bentley, Sam, Munson. An ALL-PURPOSE LB who can cover TEs, stop the run, and rush the passer would be great. Unfortunately, those types are usually off the board in the top 10.. Pats are drafting 32nd..

S: DMac, Chung, Harmon, Melifonwu, Dawson - I've said that Dawson was going to be moved to safety since he was drafted. I still believe that. The Pats only went with 3 safeties dressed all year except for 2 games when they also dressed Melifonwu. I kept DMac here though, in my heart of hearts, I can see him retiring. He was the only one who talked about giving it serious consideration. If Dmac retired, then I could see a need, but much depends on what the Pats coaching staff have seen out of Dawson..

• Winner Winner x 3
  16. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +44,531
    Matt Bryant says Falcons are cutting him

17. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +25,007
    If we don't sign Flowers than players like Graham, Ansah or Clark will be similarly out of the price range that BB is fine with.

18. Patstastic

Patstastic Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +330
    I guess..

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  19. Snooky97

Ratings:
    +2,138
    Which is why I don’t mind paying flowers 13m especially with the cap always rising

20. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +25,007
    I don't get how Brown ends up with 10m AAV if Solder just signed a contract last year that guarantees him 34.8m for the first two years essentially (with an out afterwards).