SOURCE:Providence Journal

SOURCE:Boston Sports Journal

SOURCE:USA TODAY

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
World Champs!
Tom Brady and the Patriots won their sixth championship on Sunday night after a tough defensive battle over the Rams.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Official 2019 free agency watch thread

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by festy1986, Feb 5, 2019.

1. festy1986

festy1986 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,542
    Great season guys, likely my most satisfying feeling as a fan since 01. Congrats to the Pats.

The way too early but must needed thread on free agency is now open who are you looking to take a chance on? Are we gonna be players? Do we lock down flowers and fix any of our needs in the draft or after cut season?

Here's a top 100 of free agents
    Top 100 - 2019 NFL Free Agents List | NFLTradeRumors.co

• Like Like x 1

2. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,035
    3 patriots in the top 5o (Flowers, Brown and McCourty)

and

in the next 50 (Shelton, Brown and Patterson)

3. TommyBrady12

TommyBrady12 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +14,459
    Focus on Flowers, Patterson, and Brown and see if there is any more $ left for 2nd-tier UFAs. In other words, the usual approach...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ZoisKing

ZoisKing Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +920
    Definitely want Patterson back.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams Niko! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,959
    The Pats are the only one of his teams to utilize his special skill set. I would be amazed if he didn't resign with the Pats. Another year in the playbook, he would be a valuable asset, plus his KO return skills, he almost busted the opening KO of the SB, still can't believe he didn't try to truck or at least juke the kicker.

I think they should franchise Flowers if they can't get a deal, He is that good.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +25,018
    Patterson is somewhere between Tier 2 and Tier 3. Either he agrees to a cheap contract (2m-2.5m APY) or he is gone. His snap count and impact over all games does not justify anything more than that.

Not sure he will be a huge priority.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +44,579
    Why would anyone want M. Brown or Shelton back, unless we're talking minimum, or near minimum, money?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  8. Patstastic

Patstastic Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +344
    On the Rich Eisen Show today, Curran said the afterglow of this win is going to give way to huge business decisions. Started talking free agency, and how the Patriots need to improve in certain areas. Yet if the Pats had lost the SB, the media would be killing them for weeks on end for every wrong decision they made. Can't win with the media in Boston it seems.

As for the future, Hogan is gone. D McCourty will re-structure his contract or retire. If Gronk retires, they need to draft/sign a tight end. Need a deep threat receiver.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +44,579
    This team has needs (or, for those who want to get pedantic, areas where significant improvement needs to be thought about) all over the place, which is one of the things that makes it winning the SB so satisfying. Disregarding STs:

QB
    TE (even if Gronk returns)
    WR
    DT
    DE
    LB
    S
    CB (Unless they're damned sure that Dawson's going to be a player)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. UFGatorPat

UFGatorPat 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +971
    I couldn't see him justifying much more anywhere. You don't get KO opportunities very often & to your point, his impact is minimal, probably less on most teams. He may have a chance to expand it somewhat here, but probably not much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. mgteich

Ratings:
    +7,035
    We have 2 serious needs.

I would also put re-signing BROWN at OT as a key issue. Counting on Wynn as a starter with no backup seems wrong, and not the belichick way. If Brown isn't signed, Belichick will end up spending considerable resources for someone else.

DEFENSIVE LINE - OUR FRONT FOUR (role players are fine, and solid)
    FLOWERS - an awesome DE
    Clayborne - an overpriced DE
    SHELDON and BROWN - overpriced DT's in 2018 [I think that we'll keep one]

RECEIVERS
    Edelman - AWESOME and coming back
    Berrios - likely to be Edelman's backup in the slot
    Hogan - ineffective
    Dorsett - not used; should come back unless there is a personnel problem
    PATTERSON - worth more to us than anyone else
    Gordon - will not be re-signed [we need a replacement]
    [Gronkowski] - if he retires, we have an even greater need in the receiver corps

• Like Like x 2
  12. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams Niko! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,959
    Watching the parade today, I actually saw members of the 2018 draft class (not named Sony), Berrios, Dawson, Wynn, Bentley, Izzo, and Sam all should be healthy. So that is 6 roster spots, and they have 12 more picks coming up. That is a ton of influx of young talent.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  13. mgteich

Ratings:
    +7,035
    I agree with regard to QB, TE, and the DL (the front four are all free agents or overpaid.
    =====================
    "significant improvement needs to be thought about"

CB
    Gilmore, Jackson, McCourty, Jones

So, we need significant help if the team isn't SURE of Dawson or Crossen? Do we need 5 players that can start, or perhaps six. Sure, we always need youth. However, with the re-signing of Jones and McCourty, only the top four should get any reps, absent significant injuries. But, OK, we can draft someone to compete to be our #5 or #6 CB.

S
    Sure, we always need a safety for the future. He can compete with Obi for a roster spot.

LB
    Yup, let's bring in a top draftee to start in 2018 or 2019. For me, I like what we have in Hightower, Van Noy, Roberts and Bentley. Hopefully, we re-sign Simon. If not, we will indeed need a draftee.

• Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  14. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +25,018
    That depends on how Wynn was evaluated internally before the injury. He was there for the majority of the offseason and preseason work. If he impressed and confirmed what the coaches thought they were getting given where he was picked I can see us rolling with Wynn and someone on the level of Waddle as a backup.

The injury itself is not that concerning to me because it is not something rare. They can project it with several checkpoints to see how he is doing already now.

If he didn't show enough then most probably you are right and they will have to get someone with a higher floor just in case.

• Love Love x 1
  15. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +44,579
    If McCourty comes back, he's old enough that you could see him declining and becoming a lesser player, and they have to take that into account. More importantly, if Dawson isn't a sure thing, they at least need to bring in someone to compete against Dawson. As for Crossen, we saw him play. Unless there's something we all missed, there's no way the team can be SURE of him. So, you're looking at a possibly declining McCourty and 2 question marks in Dawson and Crossen. So, yeah, IMO, they need to look at adding legitimate prospective CB improvement unless they're sure Dawson's going to be ready to make an impact.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  16. UFGatorPat

UFGatorPat 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +971
    Dawson may factor more at S than CB, we just don't know it yet, or may take more years to evolve into that.

I don't know if he's got the leadership & quite the football smarts to replace DMac, but similar skill set, size etc. Not quite the sure tackler but a better ball hawk.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 50-yard-line

50-yard-line In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4,962
    Didn't I see a stat showing that Clayborne was near the top in pressures/attempt in the NFL? I'm not sure that BB ranks him as overpaid as many of the posters here do. I wouldn't be surprised to see them extend him out another year to lower the cap hit, as they did with Amendola.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. ScottishPatriots

ScottishPatriots In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,587
    So many teams with so much money to spend it's going to be very difficult to get Trey back, it's too late to get him signed now before he'll go see what his market is.

19. PatsFan2

PatsFan2 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +4,663
    I want WR Adam Humphries with either Tate or Beasley. Good bye and good night Hogan and Dorsett.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 50-yard-line

50-yard-line In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4,962
    Biggest ? to me are the McCourtys. If they can extend DMac and sign JMac to keep them at relatively the same cap hit as this year, that's a huge win. If they lose only JMac, they can cover that with JC and JJ somewhat, but unless Dawson or Crossen have shown them something, they might take a bit of a hit there.

If they lose both, they have a lot of work to do.

Were it me, if a deal with Flowers or Trent Brown didn't pan out, someone would be getting tagged. If one came to a deal, the other might get tagged!

I would like Shelton or Brown back, but not anywhere near the option price-tag of 7+m.

WR looks like the easiest upgrade to me. Not sure what happened to Hogan this year, but he wasn't he same guy at all.

How great is it to win a SB, know that most will remain intact, and know exactly where you can improve?

• Like Like x 1