PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OC Bill O'Brien news, speculation & opinions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If BOB goes back for a 2nd interview tomorrow with Penn State. He is good as gone, IMO.

I think we only really care how he fares for the rest of this season and what impact all of this has on that. Let's face it, 90% of this board has wanted him gone more often than not anyway... I won't miss him too much. Brady clearly runs and carries this offense, I have no idea why teams (particularly NFL ones) would want him.

If BOB goes back for a 2nd interview tomorrow with Penn State. He is good as gone, IMO.

McDaniels starting to look like a very real possibility. I've seen reports that Fisher is the favorite to be the next Rams HC, and that he would not keep McDaniels around. And hey, Brandon Lloyd said he's following McDaniels...:cool:

Re: Bill O'Brien is staying with the Patriots

I still don't understand the students part. He molested kids, not 18-22 year olds. And no, you can't toss someone off your payroll for what happened in 1998. The guy is a tenured employee. What are you going to toss him for? Showering with a kid after police and child protection services thought there was nothing there?

As for the rest, that's just PSU playing the public relations game.

You ask why the NCAA needs a legal penalty? Because the NCAA has rules. Every time in its entire history that it has issued a punishment, it's been for a violation of the rules.

---------

OSU players broke NCAA rules against receiving reimbursements and benefits. Jim Tressel broke the NCAA rules when he was caught covering up the scandal and then lying about it when questioned by the NCAA. In other words, OSU broke the rules.

All I asked was, what NCAA rule did PSU break?

The protection of all of the students at Penn State University, which includes all of the student athletes and anyone associated with the school in general should obviously be the number one priority of the school (which includes the coaches)---not molesting children or having young students in their hotel rooms....

What is so hard to understand?

THE UNIVERSITY DID NOT PROTECT ITS STUDENTS by having a child molestor as one of their coaches; worse off they all knew about it many yrs ahead of time and could have prevented any further cases.

I stated what the NCAA themselves claimed as far as what "rules" the University broke.

Again, how in the hell would the NCAA look if ZERO sanctions were found against the biggest scandal in the history of any schools or infractions.

Most feel as though there will be very harsh punishments, some are even calling for the death penalty (which would never happen in today's society).

You and I agree that there should not be "harsh" punishments, but I do believe that they will find them wrong of using improper judgment, and failing to carry out the proper institutional control.

If you don't think the NCAA will find something, you are extremely naive. It would be the biggest backlash that you'd ever see in your life.

Last edited:
McDaniels starting to look like a very real possibility. I've seen reports that Fisher is the favorite to be the next Rams HC, and that he would not keep McDaniels around. And hey, Brandon Lloyd said he's following McDaniels...:cool:

While I'd be all for the return of JMcD, I somehow doubt the return of any of our old coaches, and feel that this is just wishful thinking a la Romeo, Weis etc.

Stranger things have happened, but I would disagree that JMcD is looking like a "very real possibility." At least at this point. There hasn't been any evidence whatsoever to support that--at least at this juncture anyway.

While I'd be all for the return of JMcD, I somehow doubt the return of any of our old coaches, and feel that this is just wishful thinking a la Romeo, Weis etc.

Stranger things have happened, but I would disagree that JMcD is looking like a "very real possibility." At least at this point. There hasn't been any evidence whatsoever to support that--at least at this juncture anyway.

SMY mentioned it on this site's podcast not too long ago. She said there's no bad blood and made it sound like someone inside the organization saw it as a reasonable possibility.

I'd be all for it, but there's been mention of him going to the Chiefs and teaming up with Romeo and Pioli.

SMY mentioned it on this site's podcast not too long ago. She said there's no bad blood and made it sound like someone inside the organization saw it as a reasonable possibility.

I hope you're right, Sciz.

Personally, I would be all for it. The only questioning I've ever had with McDaniels is the "supposed" inability to agree on an adjustment plan in SB 42. Other than that, I think he did a fine job.

BoB is gone folks!!!!

Confirmed Chris Mortenson

ESPN's Chris Mortensen and the Boston Herald's Ian Rapoport report Patriots OC Bill O'Brien and Penn State have reached an agreement that will make O'Brien the successor to Joe Paterno as head coach.

Penn State plans to make the announcement on Saturday. Charlie Weis waited until the end of the playoffs before leaving for the Notre Dame, so precedent suggests O'Brien will stick around for another month. He had earned kudos of late for his creative play-calling in taking advantage of mismatches to free Aaron Hernandez, Rob Gronkowski, and Wes Welker. O'Brien will have his hands full rebuilding trust in the Penn State program in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky scandal. It will be interesting to see if the Pats turn back to Josh McDaniels as O'Brien's replacement.
Patriots Offense - New England Patriots - 2012 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com
Filed to ESPN: Penn State plans to make official announcement Saturday that Patriots OC Bill OBrien is new head coach #ESPN #NFL32
https://twitter.com/#!/mortreport/status/155121947011858433

I don't like the distraction of him leaving during the playoff run,
I really want a Mcdaniels or a Martz as our offensive coordinator,
I prefer Mcdaniels.

I prefer Mcdaniels.

If Martz becomes this team's O.C., I give it 3 weeks before Brady kills him.

I prefer Mcdaniels.

The Pats have been EP since I can remember. It would make absolutely no sense to bring a Coryell system in.

Re: Bill O'Brien is staying with the Patriots

What is so hard to understand?

THE UNIVERSITY DID NOT PROTECT ITS STUDENTS by having a child molestor as one of their coaches; worse off they all knew about it many yrs ahead of time and could have prevented any further cases.

It's illogical. That's why it's hard to understand. Students at PSU are not 10 years old. 20 year old students were no more threatened by Sandusky than faculty or janitors.

I stated what the NCAA themselves claimed as far as what "rules" the University broke.

The NCAA never claimed they broke any rules. The NCAA simply said they would look into whether there was a lack of institutional control.

, how in the hell would the NCAA look if ZERO sanctions were found against the biggest scandal in the history of any schools or infractions.

I'm not getting you. You think the NCAA should ding PSU, even though the school broke no rules, because the NCAA should care about its reputation? Lotsa faith in bureaucracy there, when the bureau becomes more important than the entities it oversees. I don't think other schools are going to say, "Hey, Penn State got away with raping kids. Now everyone is going to start raping kids!!!"

No.

If you don't think the NCAA will find something, you are extremely naive. It would be the biggest backlash that you'd ever see in your life.

This is hyperbolic. The NCAA hasn't even launched an investigation. They're conducting an inquiry.

Read these articles:

Penn State asks NCAA for an extension to respond

In the letter, Emmert admits that there is no specific bylaw that would oversee the type of case that has allegedly occurred in State College. But he cites articles of the NCAA manual that include school presidents' responsibilities for all aspects of an athletic department and that of unethical conduct.

"It is clear that deceitful and dishonest behavior can be found to be unethical conduct," Emmert wrote. "Surely, the spirit of this bylaw also constrains behavior that endangers young people."

Emmert says that PSU has not violated a specific bylaw. He then says that they can ding PSU for unethical conduct. As I said, if the administrators are found to have committed perjury or acted unethically, then the NCAA can sanction them. But the pretrial testimony so far shows they did not act unethically. It's almost a slam dunk that the administrators will get off. As for Paterno, the AG praised his behavior and responses to the mess. Personally, I don't agree, but when it comes to ethics, he did not violate any ethical clause.

Here's some commentary on the inquiry:

NCAA investigating Penn State scandal - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

Here are more interesting quotes:

The NCAA in the letter asked Penn State to respond to various questions, including:

• How did Penn State exercise "institutional control over the issues identified in and related" to the grand jury report? Did the school have procedures in place that were, or were not, followed?

Yes, the school had procedures in place. They were followed.

• The NCAA also wants to know if "each of the alleged persons to have been involved or have notice of the issues identified in and related" to the grand jury report behaved according to the school's policies on honesty and ethical conduct.

This remains to be seen. Both the AD and head of campus police have been charged with perjury. If they are found guilty, then the NCAA can rule they did not behave ethically and therefore, the school can and will be sanctioned.

Scott Tompsett, an attorney who has represented institutions and individuals in NCAA infractions investigations for more than 20 years, told ESPN.com's Joe Schad the NCAA's actions are without precedent.

"In my opinion, this is without precedent, outside the legislative intent of the bylaws, and it sets a dangerous precedent for the NCAA because it can be a slippery slope," Tompsett said. "The NCAA has exercised authority over the recruitment of prospective student-athletes, the eligibility of student-athletes and practice and competition. This inquiry is far outside those areas."

Some other voices:

NCAA unlikely to punish PSU - New York Daily News

“I don’t think they’ll touch it legally, I’d be shocked,” said professor Warren Zola, who teaches business of sports and sports law at Boston College’s Carroll School of Management.

“No student-athletes are involved, for now, and nothing benefitted the teams of the institution for a competitive advantage.

“You and I may have a different interpretation on lack of institutional control, but under the NCAA’s, I don’t see it. The only thing I could see, if convicted, would be placing a ban on individual coaches.”

Here's the real kicker:

Penn State asks NCAA for an extension to respond

PSU basically says to the NCAA, we have nothing for you yet. When Louis Freeh completes his report (which has been authorized by the BOT and PSU, har har) you will be allowed to read it. And what's Emmert's response? "PSU has been extremely collaborative." In other words, there will be a whitewash, unless the two are found guilty of perjury.

I hope you're right, MM--but I'm not seeing it. Neither is about 90+% of the world.

We are not going to agree on this one, and that's fine--and sometimes common here.

I think you are underestimating the errors and public outrage, and you think I am overestimating them.

When parents pay approx. 10k (in state) per semester for their kids to attend a school, they want them protected first and foremost. When people began to realize that the school and coaching staff knew about the molestations many yrs ago, the first thing they did was cry "That could have been my kid."

Again, the NCAA will have to respond in some fashion...it's the ethical and right thing to do.

You don't agree and that's fine with me. To be honest, I don't necessarily agree with the firing of Joe Paterno. I believe that his reputation should have been enough to carry him over another 3 wks until the season was done, and his contract was up--but that's beside the point.

Even if it is deemed a "slap on the wrist," the NCAA will have to punish them with violations on some level...their hands are completely tied, and I am surprised that you do not see it that way.

If you are trying to tell me that they will not be punished for at least "failing to monitor/lack of institutional control" etc then you are borderline delusional, but that is your opinion and I support and respect it.

Last edited:
If Martz becomes this team's O.C., I give it 3 weeks before Brady kills him.

Nah.

He'd be dead at the hands of GRONK and Hernandez within 3 days. :p

Last edited:
Brandon Lloyd is on record saying that he want's to follow Josh McDaniel.
He is a unrestricted free agent.

Rams' Lloyd will follow McDaniels

I would love to see both Josh McDaniel and Brandon Lloyd in New England
in 2012.

He excels in our type of system.

Last edited:
I prefer Mcdaniels.

I don't like the distraction either, but by this point in the season everything should be pretty set with everyone on the same page.

Going back to the 2004 season, it seemed to work out alright with Weis in the playoffs. That's at least one way to look at it.

Brandon Lloyd is on record saying that he want's to follow Josh McDaniel.
He is a unrestricted free agent.

Rams' Lloyd will follow McDaniels

I would love to see both Josh McDaniel and Brandon Lloyd in New England
in 2012.

He excels in our type of system.

Yeah, sure...bring them both in. I think he's just as good, if not a better candidate than anyone else.

The Pats have been EP since I can remember. It would make absolutely no sense to bring a Coryell system in.

Pardon my ignorance, but who's EP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back