PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OBJ to Pats—what do we think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aluminum seats

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Took a look but didn’t see a thread about this, maybe I’m missing it. What do we think? Guy is a top talent, I’m sure Brady and Belichick could easily get him to knock off the flakiness, and the Pats wide receiving corps is pretty much on the brink of disaster at this point. Contract seems reasonable, and will probably take a first and something else in trade, which doesn’t seem prohibitive. Thoughts?

Our offense was less effective with Gordon and Brady trying to force every ball to him than the balanced run/pass we got later after Gordon was gone.

Even the last year of Moss was the same problem. I don't want some star athlete who can out jump/muscle the Corners since then Brady starts feeding them the ball. I'd rather the scheme is working.

Our offense was less effective with Gordon and Brady trying to force every ball to him than the balanced run/pass we got later after Gordon was gone.

Even the last year of Moss was the same problem. I don't want some star athlete who can out jump/muscle the Corners since then Brady starts feeding them the ball. I'd rather the scheme is working.

I agree but 2 things need to be considered

1) Gordon was acquired during the season and no off-season/training camp with NE
2) Pats changed their identity post Gordon and didn't just replace him with Dorsett. If Michel would have been healthy the whole time during the time Gordon was with NE and the Patriots would have went, run-heavy, PA approach I think this would have been at least just as successful if not more.

I am sure Brady and OBJ want it. I don’t see it happening.

Some points as to why not to laugh at the idea of acquiring an elite WR this offseason:

• The FA WR market is inflated with middling WR2s receiving 8 million per season. There is better value in acquiring an elite WR with cap hits post trade in the 10-12 million range.
  • BB has tried to & acquired higher caliber WRs in the last couple of seasons. In 2016 he tried to trade Jamie Collins for Deandre Hopkins & in 2017 traded for Brandin Cooks. If Cooks was a better fit here, I don’t doubt that he would’ve resigned him longterm here in the 13-14 million range.
  • The team has 12 draft picks with WR as their #1 need (pending Gronk’s decision).
  • Regarding Odell, he fits the Patriots like a glove on the field. He is one of the toughest WRs to cover over the middle & has the deep speed to keep the safeties back. He has some Edelman & Cooks qualities in one.
As luuked has pointed out, AJ Green makes the most sense from a logical standpoint. If the Giants stupidly want to trade Odell & absorb a lot of dead cap in the process the Pats will gladly listen.

If we had Gordon and Odell though we’d have two massive deep threats that would split the secondary. Imagine Edelman open on every play and Gronk one on one

The Giants would be eating that entire singing bonus. They’d need an enormous amount of assets to offset that.

OBJ is a bit emotional, but he's not the social media obsessed, narcissistic locker room cancer that he's sometimes portrayed as. He's no AB in that respect. He is extremely driven, wants to win and from all reports his teammates love him.

And he loves Tom Brady.

I agree but 2 things need to be considered

1) Gordon was acquired during the season and no off-season/training camp with NE
2) Pats changed their identity post Gordon and didn't just replace him with Dorsett. If Michel would have been healthy the whole time during the time Gordon was with NE and the Patriots would have went, run-heavy, PA approach I think this would have been at least just as successful if not more.

Yes because noone thinks Dorsett is outmuscling for the jump ball. But a lot of people believed, including Brady, that Gordon would win the jump ball and we kept getting a lot of 50% throws to Gordon where he was clearly covered in the hope he would outmuscle and win the jump ball. And sometimes he spectacularly did, but we also got interceptions and we got missed opportunities to other receivers.

Robert Meachum Chris Conley and Jamison Crowder.
Let's upgrade the receivers with plenty of cap to put on the Lines.
We could completely reload the roster with those 3 and Edelman with Gordon when he's ready.
That be a sick 5
However in BB we trust
I'd rather not cough up more than a third fir OGB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing