PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Number of 2021 Mac Jones Starts

17*

he'll beat Newton in camp when Newton goes 35% on 5-10 yard passes and most of them end up short hopped and Jones is 75% on the same type of passes

*could be more if they make the playoffs

17*

he'll beat Newton in camp when Newton goes 35% on 5-10 yard passes and most of them end up short hopped and Jones is 75% on the same type of passes

*could be more if they make the playoffs
Man. I hope you are right. That would be awesome. I never want to see Cam start another game for us. I would like to see him in the Taysom Hill role when we are inside the 10.

Newton's and Patriots run heavy style of play last year wasn't designed to pick up tons of passing yards. Even when Newton won MVP and led his team to a 15-1 record, it wasn't with crazy high passing stats. He threw for 3837 yards that year with a 59.8% completion percentage. Biggest difference between this past season and that year was the amount of touchdown passes. Newton with same health as last year will do better passing this year since his receivers are a little better and tight ends much better.

I like Mac Jones chances of being better than Cam Newton within the next 1-2 years simply because I am optimistic about Mac Jones and not because I think Cam Newton isn't capable of still being a fairly good NFL starter for the next 1-2 years. Newton's MVP days appear to be over but his days of being decent may not be.
Those were just the WINS and he averaged 154 which is 85 yards a game less than his 3837 season. Thats the difference between the least productive passing game in the league and a decent one so it’s not just the TDs.
Hell if you take out the jete games it’s 114 a game.
Jones is better than newton today, and by a lot. He just needs to get ready.
Decent is a long shot ceiling for newton.

Newton's and Patriots run heavy style of play last year wasn't designed to pick up tons of passing yards. Even when Newton won MVP and led his team to a 15-1 record, it wasn't with crazy high passing stats. He threw for 3837 yards that year with a 59.8% completion percentage. Biggest difference between this past season and that year was the amount of touchdown passes. Newton with same health as last year will do better passing this year since his receivers are a little better and tight ends much better.

I like Mac Jones chances of being better than Cam Newton within the next 1-2 years simply because I am optimistic about Mac Jones and not because I think Cam Newton isn't capable of still being a fairly good NFL starter for the next 1-2 years. Newton's MVP days appear to be over but his days of being decent may not be.
Newton, even in his best years, has always had trouble hitting the broad side of a barn.

Newton, Harry, keane, assyassy, slowjuan and two first round picks for Rogers!

gives jones a few years on the bench to learn!

Those were just the WINS and he averaged 154 which is 85 yards a game less than his 3837 season. Thats the difference between the least productive passing game in the league and a decent one so it’s not just the TDs.
Hell if you take out the jete games it’s 114 a game.
Jones is better than newton today, and by a lot. He just needs to get ready.
Decent is a long shot ceiling for newton.
Even after factoring in Newton's running ability and Jones lacking NFL experience, Jones, as an all around qb, may be better by game 1 but unless he is much better, Jones doesn't have a chance in **** of starting over Cam Newton. Belichick is going to want Jones to really earn the job and he is going to want Jones to succeed once he designates him the starter. If Cam is hurt, even Stidham may start over Jones if Jones isn't looking much better.

Carolina was #1 in points at 500 Cam's MVP season. He threw for 35 TD's that year and led the NFL in TD% on his pass attempts. He literally deserved the MVP while only throwing for 3837 yards. Fans and pundits shouldn't dismiss that. That season showed that Cam can lead a great offense while throwing for less than 3850 yards in a 16 game season. How can he do this? He is a great at running the ball for a QB.

Cam averaged more yards throwing in the losses last year which isn't unusual since you are more more likely to need to throw when trailing. He averaged 177 yards passing per game last year which was 63 yards per game less than his MVP season. I expect that to go up to 210+ yards per game next year. If it stays at 177 he is likely to lose his job before the end of the season since expectations for this season are justifiably higher.

Getting roughly half way between last year and MVP year is realistic if Cam stays fairly healthy and the Patriots offense line and skill position players do as well. He is unlikely to get covid again and he is likely to know the Patriots system at least moderately better. Despite having to learn a new system and being a year older at a time age matters, Brady passed for around ~550 more yards after leaving the Patriots and did so throwing a few less passes. This is some evidence that Patriots skill position players were lousy. Cam had the better offensive line than what Brady has last year in New England but even worse receivers/tight ends on average.

Cam last year had the 2nd highest completion percentage of his career so the whole notion that every other pass was thrown in the dirt just isn't true. Cam has to lower his sack rate and he should be just knowing the offense better and having some upgrades on offense.

Let's fact it with a mediocre defense that couldn't stop the run, Patriots with Cam almost went 9-6 or 8-7 in which the games Cam played. It was actually Cam's running game that on a few plays cost the Patriots. Key late game fumble and failing to bounce it outside vs Seattle in closing seconds. I point this all out to just drive home the point, Cam doesn't need to be throwing for 250 yards per game to win games.

19 starts 19 wine baby

Even after factoring in Newton's running ability and Jones lacking NFL experience, Jones, as an all around qb, may be better by game 1 but unless he is much better, Jones doesn't have a chance in **** of starting over Cam Newton. Belichick is going to want Jones to really earn the job and he is going to want Jones to succeed once he designates him the starter. If Cam is hurt, even Stidham may start over Jones if Jones isn't looking much better.

Carolina was #1 in points at 500 Cam's MVP season. He threw for 35 TD's that year and led the NFL in TD% on his pass attempts. He literally deserved the MVP while only throwing for 3837 yards. Fans and pundits shouldn't dismiss that. That season showed that Cam can lead a great offense while throwing for less than 3850 yards in a 16 game season. How can he do this? He is a great at running the ball for a QB.

Cam averaged more yards throwing in the losses last year which isn't unusual since you are more more likely to need to throw when trailing. He averaged 177 yards passing per game last year which was 63 yards per game less than his MVP season. I expect that to go up to 210+ yards per game next year. If it stays at 177 he is likely to lose his job before the end of the season since expectations for this season are justifiably higher.

Getting roughly half way between last year and MVP year is realistic if Cam stays fairly healthy and the Patriots offense line and skill position players do as well. He is unlikely to get covid again and he is likely to know the Patriots system at least moderately better. Despite having to learn a new system and being a year older at a time age matters, Brady passed for around ~550 more yards after leaving the Patriots and did so throwing a few less passes. This is some evidence that Patriots skill position players were lousy. Cam had the better offensive line than what Brady has last year in New England but even worse receivers/tight ends on average.

Cam last year had the 2nd highest completion percentage of his career so the whole notion that every other pass was thrown in the dirt just isn't true. Cam has to lower his sack rate and he should be just knowing the offense better and having some upgrades on offense.

Let's fact it with a mediocre defense that couldn't stop the run, Patriots with Cam almost went 9-6 or 8-7 in which the games Cam played. It was actually Cam's running game that on a few plays cost the Patriots. Key late game fumble and failing to bounce it outside vs Seattle in closing seconds. I point this all out to just drive home the point, Cam doesn't need to be throwing for 250 yards per game to win games.
You are putting lipstick on a pig. He sucked and using statistics from many years ago when he was a different player than he is now is pointless.
Just watch the film, he stunk. There is no gray area, he was horrible.

You are putting lipstick on a pig. He sucked and using statistics from many years ago when he was a different player than he is now is pointless.
Just watch the film, he stunk. There is no gray area, he was horrible.

Below average NFL starter last year? Sure. Sucked? I simply do not buy that since I have seen too many sucky Patriots quarterbacks over the years.

The stats supported the point that Cam Newton shouldn't be judged by the same standards as most quarterbacks. Only a few NFL qb's having his running ability. He has never been a player that threatened to throw for 4500 yards...even in his MVP year below 4000. He went 7-8 with a covid depleted team that didn't even have Edelman for most of the year or an NFL caliber tight end and shortened off-season while getting covid himself. That is easily a gray area.

anybody wanna ask Rung666 what he thinks about Cam Newton? I don't think we have enough input from him on this subject yet.....
d54202bf40aaa543551426ded0d4fa46--jesus-facepalm-church-quotes.jpg

Below average NFL starter last year? Sure. Sucked? I simply do not buy that since I have seen too many sucky Patriots quarterbacks over the years.

The stats supported the point that Cam Newton shouldn't be judged by the same standards as most quarterbacks. Only a few NFL qb's having his running ability. He has never been a player that threatened to throw for 4500 yards...even in his MVP year below 4000. He went 7-8 with a covid depleted team that didn't even have Edelman for most of the year or an NFL caliber tight end and shortened off-season while getting covid himself. That is easily a gray area.
You do realize that outside of one season he is a below .500 qb with one playoff win in 9 seasons right?
The numbers don’t show he shouldn’t be judged the same, they show those number add up to not being a good QB
He was worse last year than any other year in his career.
You should go back and watch the games from last year. Forget about twisting yourself into a pretzel to find an argument that suck wasn’t suck based upon 7 year old stats that belie the rest of his career and watch the plays.
i know you couldn’t have because if you had you wouldn’t be calling him this incredible runner as if it was 7 years ago. He looked like a slow lumbering fullback.

Pff said patriots receivers had decent separation last season, yet newton failed to deliver decent passes!

do we really think a full offseason is going to teach newton how to deliver passes to open receivers?

if that is true, why hasn’t any other team stepped forward in two offseasons to sign this clown?

Pff said patriots receivers had decent separation last season, yet newton failed to deliver decent passes!

do we really think a full offseason is going to teach newton how to deliver passes to open receivers?

if that is true, why hasn’t any other team stepped forward in two offseasons to sign this clown?
I honestly wish he hadn't dropped his asking price last year.

Then ignore the 6-9 unless you have an overwhelming need to argue. Lets go with " I think 4336 yds, 31 tds and 10 interceptions is an exceptional year for a QB" and leave it at that.

If Ring 6 is Andy Johnson then yes, he has an overwhelming need to argue. You could say it’s his only interest in life.

I’ll go with 10, not including playoff games.

If Ring 6 is Andy Johnson then yes, he has an overwhelming need to argue. You could say it’s his only interest in life.
Maybe he is but he's right on both points. Cam sucked last year. And a 6-9 season would suck regardless of those hypothetical stats. You can't say "The world is burning but you have infinite ice cream", have Ring 6 disagree with you because the world burning would suck, and then turn around and call him argumentative and say "Fine ignore the part where the world is burning." It's a little bit stupid

Here's a question. Should we expect the same as what Miami got from Tua last year. Similar Patriot styles right?

Mac Jones vs Tua Tagovailoa​

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back