PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No RB or WR in first round! Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

F-TheRaiders

Rookie
Reaction score
I am completely against drafting a WR in rd 1. I just don't feel the Value is there. Chad Jackson? Santonio Holmes? Sinorice Moss? I think in last years draft, these guys are, at the earliest, 2nd rounders. As for RB's, There is a little better value, but not much. This d'angelo williams talk has to end. This guy looks like kevin faulk reincarnated. The only RB that intrigues me other than Bush, is Maroney. At 6-1 215 he has more of a every down back. Plus he is fast as S**T.

Bottom line, I would like to see them go for straight value in rd 1 regardless of position. Pick up that guy who slides, similar to Wilfork when he was drafted.

Good Value Pics at #21

Greenway LB Iowa - perfect fit for pats IMO

E. Sims- LB FSU - Next Rodney Harrison? Meanest, Nastiest player in the draft

K. Wimbley- DE FSU- Perfect fit at OLB- has all the measurables, good attitude.

Jimmy Williams DB VT- I feel he will end up being the best DB drafted, jack of all trades...just how BB likes em'

You forgot about Bobby Carpenter...... I like him at 21 aslo. But a good post and I doubt they will go either WR or RB at 21..... No value there. :rocker:

Bobby Carpenter

I like him as well. The only thing is, alot of the reports I have read on him, say that he has recognition issues. I heard he was late alot getting to the ball. But he does seem to fit the Pats LB mold as well.

A little pro-coaching goes a long, long ways..... He won't start for us but he can learn to like Tedy had to......

F-TheRaiders said:
The only RB that intrigues me other than Bush, is Maroney. At 6-1 215 he has more of a every down back. Plus he is fast as S**T.

Never understood that saying...like projectile blasting???

Good Value Pics at #21

I may be the only E. Sims guy here...he is my dream pick for Belichick. A coach like Belichick can redefine the SS position for years to come with this kid.

I am not sure how many fans realize that Sims is to the 4-4 what players like McGinest are/were to the 3-4.

With the same players on the field Belichick will not only switch between the 3-4 and 4-3 but now teams will be diagnosing between 3-4 / 4-3 / 4-4... a nightmare scenario with the game on the line, it will force mistakes at the Patriots mercy when disguised correctly.

F.B.N. said:
I may be the only E. Sims guy here...he is my dream pick for Belichick. A coach like Belichick can redefine the SS position for years to come with this kid.

I am not sure how many fans realize that Sims is to the 4-4 what players like McGinest are/were to the 3-4.

With the same players on the field Belichick will not only switch between the 3-4 and 4-3 but now teams will be diagnosing between 3-4 / 4-3 / 4-4... a nightmare scenario with the game on the line, it will force mistakes at the Patriots mercy when disguised correctly.

Interesting. The Draft Muncher had us taking him in their "Best of the Best"
scenario at 21 although no sites on hailredskins did in Rd 1 or 2. As an OLB he is too short and light (6'0" 230) but as a SS -wow!

I think in last years draft, these guys are, at the earliest, 2nd rounders.

PLEASE....you don't think Chad Jackson is better then Troy Willamson who was taken #7 overall?

man you're nuts

F.B.N. said:

I like the kid, too. But I see Jon Alston in the same value group and can be had much later. Like late 2/early 3. 4.40 speed, same size, strong points are coverage, aggressiveness, smarts, blitzing, hard hitting and tackling. Either one of these kids makes me smile. But to get one at the top of the third and I wouldn't be able to stop grinning.

F-TR, I couldn't agree with you more. Even if a 1st round reciever isn't a bust, there is little value there this year. Besides, and I am now gonna take some wicked shots for this, getting the next TO (with a brain of course) does not help this team much. Brady is by far the best QB in the league. But it isn't for his cannon arm. His accuracy and timing on balls over 25 yds isn't near what it is in closer. Unlike say, Culpepper, who is almost useless as a QB, but when coupled with a tall speed burner, can toss it downtown on a dime with the best of em.
We need smart recievers who are tough, durable, sure handed, fantastic route runners and quick, not fast (see:Bethel). These can be had from mid 3 to anywhere in 4 with good results. Leave the Moss and TO wannabe's for other teams to overpay.

As far as RB's go, this is not a great year for value for them, either. That is not to say we shouldn't think about getting younger at this position. It needs to be done. But not in the first round this year. We would overpay for what in a RB rich year would be a mid second rounder, at best.

shirtsleeve said:
I like the kid, too. But I see Jon Alston in the same value group and can be had much later. Like late 2/early 3. 4.40 speed, same size, strong points are coverage, aggressiveness, smarts, blitzing, hard hitting and tackling. Either one of these kids makes me smile. But to get one at the top of the third and I wouldn't be able to stop grinning.

Ahhh....yes...something like this:
auerbach_red.jpg

I hope we go LB with our first pick. Especially if it is Manny Lawson or Chad Greenway. If they are gone then Carpenter or Wimbley would be ok as well, though I would like to trade down a few picks for them. But I wouldn't have a problem with a RB or WR. Both could immediately help our team. Williams and Maroney would both have success here, especially Williams as a KR and backup RB. Ever since his freshmen year I thought Santonio Holmes was a player that would fit our system. He would be one of the few rookies who could start for us right away. As far as Chad Jackson goes, the dude has amazing hands, great speed, and great open field ability. Brady is the best QB in the league at getting his players the ball, and imagine if we had a player that had the ability to take it to the house everytime he got his hands on it? I would prefer a LB, but I definitely wouldn't be dissapointed if DeAngelo Williams, Laurence Maroney, Chad Jackson, or Santonio Holmes had their name called when it is our pick.

F-TheRaiders said:
I am completely against drafting a WR in rd 1. I just don't feel the Value is there. Chad Jackson? Santonio Holmes? Sinorice Moss? I think in last years draft, these guys are, at the earliest, 2nd rounders. As for RB's, There is a little better value, but not much. This d'angelo williams talk has to end. This guy looks like kevin faulk reincarnated. The only RB that intrigues me other than Bush, is Maroney. At 6-1 215 he has more of a every down back. Plus he is fast as S**T.

Bottom line, I would like to see them go for straight value in rd 1 regardless of position. Pick up that guy who slides, similar to Wilfork when he was drafted.

Good Value Pics at #21

Greenway LB Iowa - perfect fit for pats IMO

K. Wimbley- DE FSU- Perfect fit at OLB- has all the measurables, good attitude.

Jimmy Williams DB VT- I feel he will end up being the best DB drafted, jack of all trades...just how BB likes em'

Nice Value picks. but i wouldn't be disappointed with D'Angelo Williams either. Sure, he could be the next kevin faulk. But he could also be the next Emmitt Smith. Wouldn't you be kicking yourself if you passed up the next Emmitt Smith? Of course, only time will tell but i think that Williams has potential to be really good. I'd also be happy with any of your value picks too!

chowder said:
Nice Value picks. but i wouldn't be disappointed with D'Angelo Williams either. Sure, he could be the next kevin faulk. But he could also be the next Emmitt Smith. Wouldn't you be kicking yourself if you passed up the next Emmitt Smith? Of course, only time will tell but i think that Williams has potential to be really good. I'd also be happy with any of your value picks too!

I think BB would go for Chad Jackson, he has talent. Doubtful he goes for a running back. Dillon has a 7M cap hit to cut him (although we have the room). The rookie would just sit for a year for the most part.

mcbee said:
Dillon has a 7M cap hit to cut him (although we have the room). The rookie would just sit for a year for the most part.
Sit for a year is what a lot of rookies do. He would spell Dillon, and learn. THe time to draft a RB is the year BEFORE you need him, not when you need an opening day starter.

F-TheRaiders said:
I am completely against drafting a WR in rd 1. I just don't feel the Value is there. Chad Jackson? Santonio Holmes? Sinorice Moss? I think in last years draft, these guys are, at the earliest, 2nd rounders. As for RB's, There is a little better value, but not much. This d'angelo williams talk has to end. This guy looks like kevin faulk reincarnated.
DeAngelo Williams will likely be a steal for whoever gets him, since most teams won't be looking at RB in round 1, until the end of the round (after us). Sure, he's not big. Neither is Barry Sanders. Or Warrick Dunn.

Chad Jackson is going to be a very good WR.

Bottom line, I would like to see them go for straight value in rd 1 regardless of position.
I think drafting purely on best player regardless of position on day 1 is a very bad strategy, and don't believe for a minute that BB would do it. On day 2, sure. But in day 1 you also consider your needs.

Pick up that guy who slides, similar to Wilfork when he was drafted.
Wilfork was picked both because he was good value, and NT was a HUGE need for us, having lost Washington.

Please not Chad Johnson. He has busteroonie written all over him. I think his upside is something like... Ashlie Lelie.

And, please not Maroney. I wont mention White, because I think he's no longer a consideration after demonstrating he doesn't have the offseason fortitude to keep in shape.

I might be tempted to look in Deangelo's direction... but it would be far better to trade the pick away to a team who really wants a RB, and focus our attention were it needs to be: Linebacker.

Greenway or Carpenter. It gets a little boring, but I'm sticking to my guns.

You know, the more I think about this years draft the more I realize the Patriots are in a really good position to draft the players and positions they want as apposed to drafting strictly to fill needs...... Think about it. What are they desperate for? Key word being desperate. Nothing. 11 picks to get younger, faster, better. Things could be a hell of lot worse huh! So the buring question becomes who and what positions do they want? WR doesn't seem to fit in here on day 1, neither does RB....... 2 weeks to find out......I say defense, defense, defense and O-line :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes