PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No one has even noticed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laffy Taffy

Banned
Reaction score
That Russ Hochstein is handling the shotgun snaps better than anyone could ever have expected. When Koppen went down, I expected a huge dropoff and many bad snaps in the shotgun, but way to go Russ!

Laffy Taffy said:
That Russ Hochstein is handling the shotgun snaps better than anyone could ever have expected. When Koppen went down, I expected a huge dropoff and many bad snaps in the shotgun, but way to go Russ!

Hear! Hear!

Not merely the shotgun ... but the entire performance at that position ... shows zero degradation. Russ has made himself a very valuable part of that O-line.

I'd even let him be director of the next Visa commercial! (But how is he in a dance line?)

Hochstein could not make Tampa's roster (I believe he was on their practice squad when we picked him up). Tampa's starting offensive line has had its moments, but pretty much had been inadequate for the time period leading up to the Patriots taking him. That being said, its amazing that he could come in here and make an impact (no sacks) in the superbowl and then step in and play center this year with reliability. Everyone (national media) talks about the Patriots injuries in the secondary, but look at our offensive line. What would you have said at the begining of the year, if you knew we were going to start two rookies and Hochstein at center going into the playoffs.

ya

gotta love those huskers! If there is one thing that nebraska has done well over the years, it's the o-line. (up until bill calahan took over :rolleyes: )

scout said:
Hochstein could not make Tampa's roster (I believe he was on their practice squad when we picked him up). Tampa's starting offensive line has had its moments, but pretty much had been inadequate for the time period leading up to the Patriots taking him. That being said, its amazing that he could come in here and make an impact (no sacks) in the superbowl and then step in and play center this year with reliability. Everyone (national media) talks about the Patriots injuries in the secondary, but look at our offensive line. What would you have said at the begining of the year, if you knew we were going to start two rookies and Hochstein at center going into the playoffs.

That's Dante Scharnecchia's coaching.

Willie55 said:

Yea if we wanna talk about not getting a lot of credit outside the pats clubhouse. Dante is the man.

Laffy Taffy said:
Heh, T-shirt, ain't it a treat to watch the young ones grow up wise in the ways of the world? :D

Warren Sapp must be rolling over in his grave,,,,Oh yea, it's his team that's dead.:D

Willie55 is dead on...it's Scar's coaching

Russ is a director now ....

scout said:

Russ was a 5th round draft pick and spent his first couple of years at Tampa Bay after being with run only Nebraska. He couldn't pass block and had to learn how. It took some time; and that was the knock on him by Sapp who scrimmaged against him as a rookie. But he CAN run block.

Has anyone noticed that our running game improved when he started. A lot had to do with getting our RBs back healthy,but Russ deserves an accolade or two for doing his part.

Good point Laffy Taffy. I'm sure Warren Sapp must be loving it.

credit to Dante Scarnecchia

i agree that we have not lost anything now with Hochstein at center instead Koppen but i think that the OL coach Dante Scarnecchia is making a tremendous job.

it is incredible that with Hochstein at center and 2 rookies (Mankins and Kaczur) on the offensive line we are playing so well.

amazing.

he has to be a very good coach.

but credit to the players too, of course, Russ included.

nice job.

scout said:

Excellent observation. I think there was a time at mid-season where the offensive line was struggling mightily to find continuity and that ability to play as one whole collective, but I think they've gotten much better at it as the season has progressed, even as parts of the line have been reshuffled and new guys have stepped in. It's a testament to Dante, and really moreso to those players that are out there. They've done an amazing job in the face of extreme adversity.

Last edited:
Actually, I was thinking that same thought recently. To be more specific, it occurred to me how well he could shot gun after last playing center in high school and Woody could never seem to master it. I was a Woody fan, but I just couldn't understand why he couldn't get it.

Well as far as I am concerned if we don't notice the O-line then that is a good thing because O-lineman do not usually get singled out unless they just screwed up. I was very worried when he took over at center but he has been very good. He is like a utility infielder for our line. I am not sure I have seen a drastic improvement in the running game as someone else mentioned but I have seen improvement in the overall line play except for Gorin Monday night.

I can not imagine what this team would be able to accomplish if it didn't lose any key players for an entire season. Hell even if we just lost 1 or 2 key guys, they would give the undefeated season a serious run.

scar is patriots MVC

Willie55 said:
that guy is unbelievable. he's coached on both sides of the ball AND special teams. wherever he coaches, the unit looks cohesive and it seems that they perform above their talent level.
with the patriots, numbr of players seem to get better every year. i find that unusual. givens, branch, warren, wilfork, hochstein, neal, even gorin seem to be performing at a higher level that they did in their 1st year with patriots.
it's great to watch, year-to-year.

Arizona Patsfan said:
Russ was a 5th round draft pick and spent his first couple of years at Tampa Bay after being with run only Nebraska. He couldn't pass block and had to learn how. It took some time; and that was the knock on him by Sapp who scrimmaged against him as a rookie. But he CAN run block.

Has anyone noticed that our running game improved when he started. A lot had to do with getting our RBs back healthy,but Russ deserves an accolade or two for doing his part.
Not only the running game in general, but the QB sneaks behind Hochstein have been awesome. Consistently 2-4 yds. There was some talk earlier in the yr that it might be hard to sign Koppen. Russ's play might make that a little easier to take, if it should come to pass.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back