PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No bag of tricks yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

pheenix11

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
When we were down last year in the playoffs, Belichick & McDaniels reached deep into their bag of tricks with the double pass and the ineligible receiver formation. Things were getting desperate yesterday and I kept expecting to see something we haven't seen before but we didn't get anything unusual.

I kept holding out hope that they had something up their sleeve. Were any of you surprised at the lack of trickery? With the way things were going seems like it would have been a good opportunity.

I would have loved to have seen the old Kevin Faulk direct snap on the 2 point conversion for example.

Yes, the lack of creativity was very concerning, particularly on the 2 point conversion attempt. That was pathetic.

I would have to imagine that the poor play of the OL and overall scheme from Wade Phillips had a big part of limiting what we could do. I did expect something similar to the reverse that Martavius Bryant had so much success with, however.

Once again, the "drop 8" into coverage (many times, particularly on 2nd and 3rd downs) and dare us to beat them with our running game failed, which seems to be the blueprint when you're able to get any kind of pass rush whatsoever. That has been our kryptonite for sure.

Well they wasted the fake pass to Brady in the Philly game. The earlier 4th down pass to Edelman had a bit of trickery to it and that didn't work.

It's hard to start doing double reverses, flea flickers, double passes when the Broncos had men in the backfield from the snap. They would have most likely resulted in losses/turnovers then anything positive. If you can't execute the fundamentals then it is very dangerous to try some gadget type plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back