PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

N'Keal Harry (lack of) Progress Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's great that he's so chipper and all, but even now he's no better than mediocre. People who when they make VERY modest gains get all giddy rarely progress past that giddiness. They settle for what once upon a time made them feel good about themselves. Do you recall Edelmann ever getting all chirpy over his progress over the years? Harry'll be cut or included as a whatever throw-in in a trade by December, and that's a good thing.

Thelonious the erroneous strikes again.

Have to give him more games but it just seems like he’s lumbering out there on every route. It would be nice if he can make some catches early in the game this sunday. Think about how they have tried to get him the ball. I’m gonna wait to see what he can do the rest of the way. He will always be measured with the likes of the others that went after him. AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel, DK Metcalf etc.

Didn’t like the pick then, still don’t like it, but will hope for the best and hang my hopes on the fact that he’s still only 22.

I'm all of a sudden seeing a toughness that I didn't see last season or even in the LOLphins game. He has taken some big hits and has held on to the ball. I even saw him jawing at a defender in the Raiders game. I like it. Also, his route running is getting better every time I see him. While I still want to see more from a first round pick by this point, I will say there definitely seems to be more promise showing in his game.

anyone have highlight of his catches from Raiders game I didnt get to watch the game (work) but guys on radio were talking about one particular catch that was his "Best of the season" so just was curious what it looked like

thanks

anyone have highlight of his catches from Raiders game I didnt get to watch the game (work) but guys on radio were talking about one particular catch that was his "Best of the season" so just was curious what it looked like

thanks
I suspect the referenced catch was a short sideline pass to Harry who proceeded to run over multiple would-be tacklers and gain extra yards. This play showed his size / strength advantage vs DBs. It had a Gronkonian feel to it.

At this point we shouldn't expect him to get separation against DBs. But I do think he can be the type of player who can catch the ball in traffic. Similar to Anquan Boldin who kept chains moving and always made clutch catches.

Yeah, that's not it at all. I mean, it's not even in the same country as "it".

My question is a serious one. I notice that chose to insult me rather than answering it.

Whatever you might think Harry's going to become, be it a HOF level WR, or a complete bust, or something in between, right now he plays like an undersized TE. So, the question is: what are the strengths in that scenario, as you see them, and how do they fit this particular team better than a real WR at the position?

Let me start you off with one possible piece of an answer.

One strength might be, say, blocking at a level above and beyond what you would normally expect of a WR. If you consider that a strength of Harry, you might say that's a real plus on an offense where the game plan is going to involve a lot of running.

Now, perhaps rather than tossing out lame-ass pot shots, you could address the actual question.

I don't have time for a comprehensive answer, nor access to much film, but I think we saw a few signs over the last few games that show he can be an inside/outside player with some promise in this offense. As you noted, he's been a good blocker. He had several excellent crackback blocks that sprang outside runs. He's competed hard on numerous snaps where he didn't receive a target, whether it was blocking or running off coverage for others.

Can he succeed as an outside receiver? Yes, probably. I don't know that he has the raw speed to consistently threaten deep, but that can be mitigated by suddenness, footwork, and body positioning. His concentration/hands show progress. His releases are more violent, and he's starting to use his size to his advantage. He's got room for further improvement (he's only played in 10 career games, I believe, and he's actually younger than several of the rookies from this class).

I wish I had replay available so that I could highlight several of his routes. I noticed him open a few times on Sunday, but the ball went elsewhere for whatever reason. He's going to get chances, though. With all of the injuries, his volume of targets should stay relatively high.

His comebacks are getting cleaner/sharper, although he could still stick his foot in the ground with a bit more authority.

His bread and butter should be slants, posts, fades, comebacks, crossers, etc, which fit in just fine with what the Patriots have asked from X receivers in the past. If he can also make things work in the screen game and get some designed open field runs, then I don't see why he can't be a good part of the puzzle. He may never evolve into the alpha of the pack, but I think he'll be a good contributor by year's end.

Given Edelman's health, I still think we need another receiver, preferably a strong route runner with some suddenness and speed to keep defenses from cheating up and playing everything underneath.

At this point we shouldn't expect him to get separation against DBs. But I do think he can be the type of player who can catch the ball in traffic. Similar to Anquan Boldin who kept chains moving and always made clutch catches.

Anquan was an aspirational comp a lot of people put forward at first. I've not yet seen anything in Harry that makes me think "80+ catches and better than 11 ypc, legitimately and for a stretch of years" or anything even close to that but, as I said last year, the kid started off his career by missing half a season, and he's got to play catch up.

Anquan was an aspirational comp a lot of people put forward at first. I've not yet seen anything in Harry that makes me think "80+ catches and better than 11 ypc, legitimately and for a stretch of years" or anything even close to that but, as I said last year, the kid started off his career by missing half a season, and he's got to play catch up.

Your right, Deau. The fact that he already has 15 catches in 3 games is a sure sign he won't be an 80+ catch receiver.. OH.. Wait.. quick math.. 5.3333 * 15 = 80... Well Damn...

Anyone seen the Jakobi Meyers progress thread?

Can't be. I read the threads here, so you can't fool me. Jakobi's problems began and ended with Brady.

how exactly did his problems begin and end with Brady?

how exactly did his problems begin and end with Brady?

You don't remember those threads? According to posters, Brady was being a big meanie to the rookies and wouldn't throw them the ball. He was holding them back.

Well, so far this year, it's 3 games, 22 snaps, and 1 target for Jakobi with Cam under center.

You don't remember those threads? According to posters, Brady was being a big meanie to the rookies and wouldn't throw them the ball. He was holding them back.

Well, so far this year, it's 3 games, 22 snaps, and 1 target for Jakobi with Cam under center.

hard to throw to a guy running the wrong route and not able to create separation!

Watch Harry manhandle Ferrell on the run by JJ (first play of the video). Most of the haters don't want to acknowledge this part of his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back