PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nice Article on Cowart ... really like this kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there's 2 distinct categories of DT in there you need to have balance between. Pennel and Shelton are your classic run stopping NT types, whereas Guy, Butler, and Cowart are penetrating DT/3 man front DE types.

Really, Guy fits both categories, so it's good to have him. I also agree about Shelton being in at the moment. So it's hard to say whether we truly need Pennel. I'm still hesitant to leave him off my roster right now.

At the other position I see Butler as only being viable in passing situations as he has been used in his career to date. Cowart has flashed for sure and no question the talent is there, but I wouldn't say he's earned much of anything yet. So it would be hard to justify keeping both of these guys even though one can back the other up.

I'm going with Guy, Shelton, Pennel, Butler for now, but something tells me we find a way to keep Cowart.
Actually I think Shelton was a penetrating DLman who had difficulty with 2 gapping when he came here and thus were the very mixed results we saw last season. THIS season, thus far, he has been a lot better. By all apparent reports he has surpassed Pennell as the primary middle guy.

Here's the thing. It looks more and more like we are going back to the 3-4 as a base defensive alignment. But that being said, I think defensive alignments are going to be a LOT more "fluid" than they have in the past. So trying to figure out roster cuts by positions is going to be more difficult this season. That's why you see good players like Wise being projected as a cut, simply because he is viewed as not being a 3-4 DE in the standard prototype of what a 3-4 DE should be (think Richard Seymour). I'm not sure if that prototype holds up with the different type of 3-4 Bill is building this season.

Regardless of how Bill views his DL, I think Cowart makes the team. Too much potential to let him slip away, even though he's probably about 2 years away from reaching his potential. However if he DOES reach it, it could be awesome.

Butler is the vet, who I think will be the interior guy that gets let go. He was decent as a player, especially as a UDFA, but he hasn't shown any of the burst he had they got him noticed his first 2 years. Has he even had a tackle this preseason?

Pennell has been a real disappointment in the practice games. Nothing he has done has impressed. He's doing nothing against 3rd stringers. Seems odd to compare that with the guy who was dominating at TC against starters less than 2 weeks ago. Very strange development.

Actually I think Shelton was a penetrating DLman who had difficulty with 2 gapping when he came here and thus were the very mixed results we saw last season. THIS season, thus far, he has been a lot better. By all apparent reports he has surpassed Pennell as the primary middle guy.

Here's the thing. It looks more and more like we are going back to the 3-4 as a base defensive alignment. But that being said, I think defensive alignments are going to be a LOT more "fluid" than they have in the past. So trying to figure out roster cuts by positions is going to be more difficult this season. That's why you see good players like Wise being projected as a cut, simply because he is viewed as not being a 3-4 DE in the standard prototype of what a 3-4 DE should be (think Richard Seymour). I'm not sure if that prototype holds up with the different type of 3-4 Bill is building this season.

Regardless of how Bill views his DL, I think Cowart makes the team. Too much potential to let him slip away, even though he's probably about 2 years away from reaching his potential. However if he DOES reach it, it could be awesome.

Butler is the vet, who I think will be the interior guy that gets let go. He was decent as a player, especially as a UDFA, but he hasn't shown any of the burst he had they got him noticed his first 2 years. Has he even had a tackle this preseason?

Pennell has been a real disappointment in the practice games. Nothing he has done has impressed. He's doing nothing against 3rd stringers. Seems odd to compare that with the guy who was dominating at TC against starters less than 2 weeks ago. Very strange development.

If Shelton came here primarily with experience as a penetrating DT, someone had a terrible idea about how to use a 350 lb guy. Not doubting it though. Plenty of stupid ideas get the greenlight in the NFL, especially in Cleveland.

I agree that Butler could be the one to lose his spot to Cowart. Sounds like he hasn't really progressed in year 3 and we already knew he was one dimensional. Pennel is also doing everything in his power to lose a spot.

We might claim a DT off waivers in early September, or even trade for one.

I think cowart biggest issue was his scheme in college it didn’t really showcase the abilities he has.

I'm stunned at how misused he was in college. Like being the best at peeling apples in high school and getting recruited only to peel oranges in college.
Let's not completely absolve Cowart from his share of the blame for not maximizing his natural gifts while in college(s), either.
He's no longer on the free scholarship ride, so maybe these last 4 months have been an awakening for him and he now knows that, in the words of Mike Mayock, if he isn't all in, he will soon find himself all out, including of an NFL check.
If Cowart's self-motivation level equaled Adam Butler's, he would not have been available at the end of the 5th round in the first place; and in the second place, Bill might just have found himself a very...Very...interesting chess piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down