PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLfans First Mock

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The first public mock of the year. GMs for all 32 teams, picks made in chat room (3 rounds).

http://www.nflfans.com/x/showthread.php?t=7631

21 - Tye Hill, CB, Clemson
52 - Chad Jackson*, WR, Florida
75 - Parys Haralson, OLB (3-4), Tennessee
86 - Donte Whitner*, SS, Ohio State

I was looking OL for third round, but there wasn't really anyone available, and we have alright depth right now.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Well I would like a head hunter for the secondary but thats just my preference I think Hill is ok but would not be my first choice especially with bigger corners out there.

broadwayjoe said:
Well I would like a head hunter for the secondary but thats just my preference I think Hill is ok but would not be my first choice especially with bigger corners out there.
Hill has done exceptionally well at the combine, and likely won't even last until our pick, so I was happy he fell. Also, I was able to nab Whitner in the 3rd, who is the hard hitting playmaking type.

i really like this mock so far. WE could possibly take out the OLB and sub in a an OG, OT or HB there. I would love to have hill and whitner in the secondary next year. Those two could make a lot of plays

You know something? I'm not sure I like anybody at #21. (Hill is a tremendously fluid athlete but lags in technique and especially ball skills, which doesn't sound to me like a Patriots pick.)

Here are a bunch of guys from your round 2 & 3 who I think would make nice Patriots. Nobody from 21-32 leaps out at me as vastly superior to them:

35 N.Y. Jets - OT Winston Justice, USC
37 San Francisco - CB Ashton Youboty, Ohio State
38 Oakland - SS Darnell Bing, USC
40 Detroit - OG Davin Joesph, Oklahoma
42 Buffalo - OT Daryn Colledge, Boise State
44 Baltimore - CB Richard Marshall, Fresno State
47 Atlanta - WR Maurice Stovall, Notre Dame
50 San Diego - OT Andrew Whitworth, LSU
51 Miami - OLB Bobby Carpenter, Ohio State
56 N.Y. Giants - OC Nick Mangold, Ohio State
61 Denver - SS Bernard Pollard, Purdue
67 Green Bay - CB Alan Zemaitis, Penn State
72 Arizona - RB Joesph Addai, LSU
76 Philadelphia - WR Mike Hass, Oregon State
82 Miami - FS Pat Watkins, Florida State

I realize this wasn't an option in your mock, but I'm thinking trade down unless a Wilfork-style surprise falls in your lap.

patchick said:
You know something? I'm not sure I like anybody at #21. (Hill is a tremendously fluid athlete but lags in technique and especially ball skills, which doesn't sound to me like a Patriots pick.)

Here are a bunch of guys from your round 2 & 3 who I think would make nice Patriots. Nobody from 21-32 leaps out at me as vastly superior to them:

I realize this wasn't an option in your mock, but I'm thinking trade down unless a Wilfork-style surprise falls in your lap.

I totally agree with what you are stating very good listing there also.

I promise BB wont draft Tye Hill

Hill is an outstanding cover corner, who can run with receivers. He's great, and will go in the first round, no doubt at all. But he is not a physical player, hard hitter who'll put his nose into a TE's hip and get him to the ground in the open field. Hill is a finesse guy with speed. When I think of Wilson, Samuel, Gay and the BB defensive backs, they're all great open field tacklers who like to pop a guy. Hill does not fit the mold for the Pats.

patchick said:

I'm with you, chick. I like a lot of these players, too-- in particular Youboty, Marshall (from Fresno), Carpenter, Hass and Addai.

But what's up with all those OTs on your list? With Light, Kaczur and Gorin, we're stacked. And if Ashworth re-signs, we certainly dont need another Day One tackle on the roster.

I'm a bit hot and cold on Stovall. In a word: unreliable.

Not sure about Pat Watkins. Seems more like a physical freak than a player. At 6'4, 200# is pretty spindly. I'd rather have a guy 5'10, 200# who can take your head off-- and Pioli tends to focus on that type of player too.

rookBoston said:
Hill is an outstanding cover corner, who can run with receivers. He's great, and will go in the first round, no doubt at all. But he is not a physical player, hard hitter who'll put his nose into a TE's hip and get him to the ground in the open field. Hill is a finesse guy with speed. When I think of Wilson, Samuel, Gay and the BB defensive backs, they're all great open field tacklers who like to pop a guy. Hill does not fit the mold for the Pats.
Actually... despite his size, he has shown he can play physical, and match whatever the receivers strength is in his coverage throughout his career and particularly in Senior Bowl practices where he has been unbeatable. He is by no means great in run support, but he's not terrible either, and I don't think just because of that BB will pass him by. I definitely would like to see him in Patriot blue next year, and since this mock had no trades, there really was no one else there I was interested in (Winston, Scott, Holmes, Ryans, and Maroney were my other options if Hill went to one of the teams right in front of me).

rookBoston said:
I'm with you, chick. I like a lot of these players, too-- in particular Youboty, Marshall (from Fresno), Carpenter, Hass and Addai.

But what's up with all those OTs on your list? With Light, Kaczur and Gorin, we're stacked. And if Ashworth re-signs, we certainly dont need another Day One tackle on the roster.

I'm basically looking for one more quality player for the right side of the line, with the assumption that Kaczur can play either tackle or guard (unproven, I know) and that Neal is gone.

The more I look at it, the more this draft shapes up to have a hole in the bottom of the first round. Last year, the hole was at the very top -- no such problem this time around. But there's a remarkable concentration of comparable talent that starts in the teens and runs into round 3. If the Pats could manage to trade out of #21 and maneuver around to yield a first day along the lines of...

CB Richard Marshall
OLB Bobby Carpenter
WR Mike Hass
RB Joseph Addai
+ best available OL

...that would fill a lot of holes in a hurry.

Tye Hill got beat on the first touchdown of the game by Sinorice Moss. Sure, it was only one play, but it was a big one. Seeing him get beat by the only WR smaller than him definitely didn't leave me too impressed. He even tripped and fell trying to keep up with Moss. One time during warmups Will Blackmon was standing next to Hill and I couldn't believe how much bigger Blackmon looked. Plus Hill doesn't offer the duel threat of being a KR as well. Not a bad pick, I am just not a big fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back