Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What games are you most interested in for week 17 (pick two)

• Jets at Patriots

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Steelers at Browns

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Dolphins at Bills

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Arizona at Rams

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Falcons at Bucs

• Packers at Bears

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seahawks - Niners

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Chargers at Chiefs

• other: Saints at Carolina, Cowboys at Giants, etc

• none: I'm looking at free agency and the draft

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Giants fans - and players - need to STFU over Philly pulling Hurts for Sudfeld. You assholes went 6-10. You have zero right to complain about missing the playoffs because of something Philly did.

EDIT: Just saw @Ras-IR Dowling beat me to the punch with the same point. I hadn’t seen his when I made my post but I definitely agree with what he said.

Not sure why you Bradyites are so afraid of the Giants...

If this were the Dolphins tanking to keep the Pats out of the playoffs you'd be livid too...Kudos to Bill for playing to win yesterday. I was hoping the Pats would lose for draft position, but after witnessing the Eagles give up the game and seeing how dejected Hurts was, I realized that tanking sends a bad message to a young team. Also, kudos to Joe Judge for playing to win as well, when he could have secured the 6th overall pick with a loss. There is a reason why the Eagles are a loser organization and the Pats are not.

All they had to do was kneel to win the game.

Teams didn't kneel on the ball at the end of games back then. They started to after that though.

I read something the other day claiming that game was a fix, but I don't believe it. That was a dumb call or a mistake by the QB followed by a horrible bounce.

1.) Is there some reason why so many on TV feel compelled to say "the Washington Football Team" rather than simply saying "Washington"?

2.) Am I the only one that sees the initials "WFT", but by the time my brain deciphers it the initials becomes "WTF"?
1) PC
2) WFT and WTF are synonyms.

If this were the Dolphins tanking to keep the Pats out of the playoffs you'd be livid too...Kudos to Bill for playing to win yesterday. I was hoping the Pats would lose for draft position, but after witnessing the Eagles give up the game and seeing how dejected Hurts was, I realized that tanking sends a bad message to a young team. Also, kudos to Joe Judge for playing to win as well, when he could have secured the 6th overall pick with a loss. There is a reason why the Eagles are a loser organization and the Pats are not.
It's not the Bradyites it's a big segment of this fanbase whenever the Giants are on the schedule. The fear last year when we were playing a weak Giants team...lol. Pats are 2-0 against the Giants in the last 8 years.

This tanking non sense in prospotrts really has to stop. I think the NFL should have a lottery also, like the NBA.
IMHO the unbalanced schedule is a much bigger issue than teams tanking games. A lottery wouldn't fix that problem.

Seeing the way Philthy threw that game is why the NYFL shouldn't be finishing the season with division games. They shouldn't be starting with them either. The perfect fix would be to have the out of conference games as the first and last two. The games would still be important at the end but a team like Philly wouldn't have the ability to control another team's fate in their own division, only their own.

Seriously, little child, give it a rest. I know you're bitter, but you don't need to hijack every single thread I participate in into a discussion of Tom Brady when it has nothing to do with him.
If this were the Dolphins tanking to keep the Pats out of the playoffs you'd be livid too...
No, I really wouldn't. I have always maintained the philosophy that if you need to rely on some other team's help to make the playoffs, you have only yourselves to blame and you have no right to be mad if they fail to come through for you. Miami is beholden to Miami, not New England. Philadelphia is beholden to Philadelphia, not New York.
Kudos to Bill for playing to win yesterday. I was hoping the Pats would lose for draft position, but after witnessing the Eagles give up the game and seeing how dejected Hurts was, I realized that tanking sends a bad message to a young team. Also, kudos to Joe Judge for playing to win as well, when he could have secured the 6th overall pick with a loss. There is a reason why the Eagles are a loser organization and the Pats are not.
LOL..!! That's an awful lot of chest thumping for 7-9. Try not to bruise yourself too much there......

Seeing the way Philthy threw that game is why the NYFL shouldn't be finishing the season with division games. They shouldn't be starting with them either. The perfect fix would be to have the out of conference games as the first and last two. The games would still be important at the end but a team like Philly wouldn't have the ability to control another team's fate in their own division, only their own.
They could still control another team's fate, only in some other division. We'd be having the same conversation today about them not playing hard, whether it was the Giants or the Bengals (for example) that got left out as a result of them losing.

Finishing with division games keeps open the potential of a team catching up to and passing the division leader. It allows more teams to control their own destiny later into the season.

The NFL made this change exactly for this reason a few years ago, the last two games are almost always division games, assuring that both teams would have somethng to play for.

I can see the Eagles not dressing Wentz, because I think they are looking to unload him and they didn't want to risk him getting injuried and them on the hook for his salary. Philly is now offically in salary cap hell! They are $70 million OVER the cap as of right now and Wentz has a $34 million dollar cap number ($59 million if they cut him). They can't cut enough guys to get under the cap. I have no idea how they are going to do it.

They could still control another team's fate, only in some other division. We'd be having the same conversation today about them not playing hard, whether it was the Giants or the Bengals (for example) that got left out as a result of them losing.

Finishing with division games keeps open the potential of a team catching up to and passing the division leader. It allows more teams to control their own destiny later into the season.
I think teams would be less likely to tank and wouldn't have such a strong influence on their own division if they were playing the other conference.

Philly had the opportunity to tank and knock out the Giants.
Pittsburgh had a chance to tank and let Cleveland in as their opponent.
Were those things done on purpose?

I think teams would be less likely to tank and wouldn't have such a strong influence on their own division if they were playing the other conference.

Philly had the opportunity to tank and knock out the Giants.
I do not believe for a single second they tanked in order to knock out New York. Philly simply wanted better draft position. They were either going to win and knock out Washington or lose and knock out New York.
Pittsburgh had a chance to tank and let Cleveland in as their opponent.
Pittsburgh clinched the playoffs so they rested their starters. That is an extremely common strategy. KC did the same thing, only the KC-LAC game had no playoff ramifications, so no one is talking about it.

I do not believe for a single second they tanked in order to knock out New York. Philly simply wanted better draft position. They were either going to win and knock out Washington or lose and knock out New York.

Pittsburgh clinched the playoffs so they rested their starters. That is an extremely common strategy. KC did the same thing, only the KC-LAC game had no playoff ramifications, so no one is talking about it.
Whether on purpose or not, those situations wouldn't occur if teams were playing games outside their division.

I actually don't care if teams are tanking for any reason, as long as my team isn't the one losing on purpose. That's for losers.

Wow, if your a Giants fan you have to be screaming at Peterson here. Suddenly he inserts Nate Sudfeld down by 3 in the 4th quarter.

and he throws a pick, at least it was a glorified punt
I have to give a tip of the ol' hat to Peterson. Inserting Sudfeld gave me the points I needed to win my FF championship.

Whether on purpose or not, those situations wouldn't occur if teams were playing games outside their division.
Of course they would. You will always have teams on the final week of the season who need other teams to lose and sometimes those teams will be playing opponents who are either tanking or simply resting starters.

I can see the Eagles not dressing Wentz, because I think they are looking to unload him and they didn't want to risk him getting injuried and them on the hook for his salary. Philly is now offically in salary cap hell! They are $70 million OVER the cap as of right now and Wentz has a $34 million dollar cap number ($59 million if they cut him). They can't cut enough guys to get under the cap. I have no idea how they are going to do it.

Yeah, the Eagles are in a crazy bad situation. I was fooling around with their numbers a little bit and they could theoretically have to designate all of these players as post-June 1 cuts - just to get to about zero cap available.

DL Fletcher Cox ($16 mil)
WR Alshon Jeffery ($13 mil)
Brandon Graham ($13 mil)
DE Derek Barnett ($10 mil)
DT Malik Jackson ($10 mil)
WR DeSean Jackson ($9 mil)

Then you still have to sign their replacements, so add TE Zach Ertz ($8,250,000) to have a bit of money for the 2021 season.

If you attempt to extend/renegotiate instead, the player's agent knows full well Philly's cap position and will hold out for a great deal - meaning the Eagles could be right back in the same position in a year or two.

I wouldn't be surprised if Philadelphia goes 0-16 next year.

All the networks are all very excited about three game$ both Saturday and Sunday.
That's never going to change going forward.

In the past I always loved the divisional round, because you usually had 1-4 and 2-3, plus 1-4 and 2-3 the next day.
Four great games featuring the eight best teams, as opposed to just two games for the conference championship weekend.

Not sure how to feel about this change with six games (the new wild card format).
It's watered down with a #7 out of 16 getting in - but three consecutive playoff games on back-to-back days is enticing.

I like the two team BYE. Don’t fix what’s broken.

Of course they would. You will always have teams on the final week of the season who need other teams to lose and sometimes those teams will be playing opponents who are either tanking or simply resting starters.
But they won't be playing each other and choose who gets in from their division or conference.

Yeah, the Eagles are in a crazy bad situation. I was fooling around with their numbers a little bit and they could theoretically have to designate all of these players as post-June 1 cuts - just to get to about zero cap available.

DL Fletcher Cox ($16 mil)
WR Alshon Jeffery ($13 mil)
Brandon Graham ($13 mil)
DE Derek Barnett ($10 mil)
DT Malik Jackson ($10 mil)
WR DeSean Jackson ($9 mil)

Then you still have to sign their replacements, so add TE Zach Ertz ($8,250,000) to have a bit of money for the 2021 season.

If you attempt to extend/renegotiate instead, the player's agent knows full well Philly's cap position and will hold out for a great deal - meaning the Eagles could be right back in the same position in a year or two.

I wouldn't be surprised if Philadelphia goes 0-16 next year.
As long as they're having fun all will be okay.

But they won't be playing each other and choose who gets in from their division or conference.
Why does that make any difference? The Eagles could just as easily been playing Miami last night and the exact same thing would have happened.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back