PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Network/NFL Films/"Path to Perfection"

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonderry

On the Roster
Reaction score
Hey guys,
after watching last night's, "Patriots Path To Perfection", (WHICH WAS AWESOME!!!) it got me to wondering. . .
After watching it twice, and having it TiVo'd so my friends and I can watch it again before the game today, I began wondering how they pulled it off. Those NFL Films are absolute masterpieces and not easy to put together; the score (music) alone was amazing. But what really got me thinking was the film - it wasn't just film from NFLN cameras; it was the film from all the networks that covered Patriots games this year.

I'm assuming that the NFL has rights to any film shot of all NFL games, and that usually they gather this film at the end of the season and begin making their NFL Film documentaries when the season ends.

What I'm wondering is if any of you have knowledge of this process? of how they make these films? of what the agreements are between the networks regarding rights to the film?

And in particular, consider this: In week 17, NFLN had exclusive rights to the Patriots/Giants game. Obviously, as it got closer, and the stakes were as high as they got, lawsuits threatening, congressmen clamoring, etc., the NFLN then extended the broadcast to every network shy of the Food Network. What was the behind the scenes of this move? What did NFLN gain from this? Is it possible that by sharing the broadcast, NFLN was able to obtain the other networks' footage and that allowed them to produce the Path To Perfection documentary?
Please enlighten!

And GO PATS!!!

pretty sure NFL films has all their own crews that have free access to games and the locker rooms, plus the broadcast rights almost surely give the leageu rights to do what they like with game footage.

hope they play this again soon, my dvr thought it was on at like 2am this morning but it was off by an hour and I only got half hour of the good stuff and then some crap about bob sanders overcoming dwarfism to get dpoty

and then some crap about bob sanders overcoming dwarfism to get dpoty

:rofl:
I saw that crap on Sanders, too. After watching such perfect TV, it didn't matter what they played next, it wasn't gonna match up! But a Bob Sanders, hobbit-makes-good-in-a-tall-world program!?! That was crap! How many times did we hear, "He is who he is because he sacrifices his body". Oh really, that's a unique take on the NFL, wish Rodney had thought of that! :rolleyes:

NFL films uses Panavision cameras, the same ones used to make real movies. I own a few cleaners here in AZ and Mr Sabol (the older one who founded NFL films) is one of my clients. Very nice guy.

And in particular, consider this: In week 17, NFLN had exclusive rights to the Patriots/Giants game. Obviously, as it got closer, and the stakes were as high as they got, lawsuits threatening, congressmen clamoring, etc., the NFLN then extended the broadcast to every network shy of the Food Network. What was the behind the scenes of this move? What did NFLN gain from this? Is it possible that by sharing the broadcast, NFLN was able to obtain the other networks' footage and that allowed them to produce the Path To Perfection documentary?
Please enlighten!
What NFLN got from the triplecast was the chance for some great PR. Did you notice all the anti-cable spots they aired? Anyone watching it over their local channel (because their cable provider doesn't carry NFLN or charges a premium for it) may very well switch over to satellite.

I don't believe the NFL gets any footage from any network because the NFL already claims rights to all content. I'd bet that's written into whatever agreements they maintain. Look at all the old footage they show. Pretty much all of it is original network broadcasts.

Last edited:
There was an article posted the other day ( I believe in the globe) and it had quoted Sabol saying that they have tons of film on the Patriots this year because of the expectations. I think he said they have five different angles for every play they had this year.

Please enlighten!

I think NFL owns all broadcasts, which is why they can show them on replay on NFLN. Technically, a NFL broadcast on another network contains copyrighted material belonging to both the league and to the network -- for example, the graphics and commentators' comments are copyrighted (or at least copyrightable) by the network. But I think the contract between the nets and the NFL gives NFL an exclusive license to any of the nets' copyrighted material.

Bottom line -- NFL owns the entire broadcast, by and large, except the commercials. This is why NFL can replay games but the networks can't.

The show was great but I was craving more footage of BB and TB conversing. After Brady retires, they should make a DVD set comparable to Ultimate Jordan.

The show was great but I was craving more footage of BB and TB conversing. After Brady retires, they should make a DVD set comparable to Ultimate Jordan.

I completely agree! I love those behind the scenes conversations between BB and TB. BB seems really comfortable around TB and vice versa. That relationship is based on extremely high respect and admiration for the other. There is no hugging or slapping happy on the sidelines. It is all business. As Brady once said, their relationship is 90% football and 10% personal just where he likes it! Something special!

Last edited:
Somebody get this online.

What a great program. NFL films is just getting better and better(they were always great anyways).

I watched this and it was, indeed, a great production - at least on par with the 3 Games to Glory DVDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back