PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Old 2020 thread] NFL Free Agency/Trade Rumors:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would gladly take either one. Either would be a #1 receiver and OBJ in particular would occasionally command double teams and at a minimum would open things up a little for the other WR and maybe even the TE's. If you could get OBJ for a 2nd rounder this year and a fourth next, I think you do it.

#1WRs are so hard to find and will help the QB and other young players develop

Last edited:
I don’t think they’re winning a championship with either obj or Robinson so might as well save that money going into next year.

Looking at options closer to the deadline but if the lions are out of it and we’re still in it by that point maybe inquire about Marvin Jones? Last year of his deal, they’re looking at locking up golladay long term, maybe we could get him for a late pick? I’d feel much better about this than I did last year giving up a 2 for a year and a half of Sanu. (which turned out to only be a few games in hindsight)
The Lions are in a weird spot. Like every other GM ever on the hot seat, at some point Bob Quinn is going to have to ignore what’s best for the Lions and do what’s best for himself. The only chance he has of keeping his job another year is an improved product on the field, so I think he has to keep every single player that helps accomplish that. Trading Jones for a pick doesn’t do any good if he’s just accumulating assets for the next GM.

Looking at options closer to the deadline but if the lions are out of it and we’re still in it by that point maybe inquire about Marvin Jones? Last year of his deal, they’re looking at locking up golladay long term, maybe we could get him for a late pick? I’d feel much better about this than I did last year giving up a 2 for a year and a half of Sanu. (which turned out to only be a few games in hindsight)

Have been looking at the same thing and as @Sciz already pointed out I think the Quinn will be hesitant to trade anyone away. He and Patricia are most probably gone after this season if they don't at least make the playoffs.

The other dimension to add to this is to overlap the teams that start out poorly with those that will be clearly above to close to the salary cap next year.

Unfortunately there are not many opportunities to be had.

The Saints and Eagles will have to shed a lot of contracts but New Orleans is competing this year and the Eagles really don't have any WR that would fit our needs. Jeffrey would just be the Harry role, Desean is in his twilight years and there is no reason to trade Goodwin who was just acquired and is on a team friendly deal.

The Falcons would be next up and they won't trade Julio or Ridley. Which brings you to a bunch of AFC teams that most probably will be in contention for playoff spots with us and won't look to trade and soon you are with the Vikings and Rams that both will most probably be competing this year and that is pretty much it.

The Bears and Robinson would actually match those parameters pretty well. They are slightly below the cap for next year, are about to blow it all up and not at the correct time to give AR a WR1 market. OBJ is a long shot either way as the Browns will most probably not blow it up unless they flop hard this year under Stefanski.

49ers finally get Sanu after the Pats outbid them last year.

49ers finally get Sanu after the Pats outbid them last year.

Lmao so they give a second for Jimmy G we give up a second to outbid their maybe fourth or 5th round pick who knows for slownu.
And then they sign The Turtle the following season. They also drafted Samuel and Aiyuk
Lynch playing chess while BB is playing checkers?
I’m only half serious

Lmao so they give a second for Jimmy G we give up a second to outbid their maybe fourth or 5th round pick who knows for slownu.

Given the longer contract and him not coming off major surgery I would assume it would have been higher than the Sanders package (3rd+4th for 5th + Sanders) but less than a 2nd.

49ers would be absolute fools not doing everything they can to get him or another WR like OBJ.

The one thing that will do Shanahan in is his arrogance.
Yep...and that same arrogance has already cost him two rings...

At the combine Robinson ran a 4.60 sec 40 yard dash. Harry ran a 4.53 sec 40 yard dash. Robinson is slower than Harry - would there be a PatsFans forum meltdown if we traded for a "slower than Harry" receiver? :whistle:
Robinson has > 5 years of NFL production, and not the gravy-training "production" of Mo' Snuze either.

And then they sign The Turtle the following season. They also drafted Samuel and Aiyuk
Lynch playing chess while BB is playing checkers?
I’m only half serious
I remember being livid after the Sanu trade. I called it probably the worst trade by BB and that Sanu may not even be on the 2020 roster. I received about a dozen, dislikes if not more, for that post. I want my likes back (LOL). I should find that post and bump it.

Anywasy, the Robinson trade: doesn't matter what his combine numbers were. He's been in the league long enough to see what he is. Problem is he is looking for more money. If anything, trading for OBJ makes more sense as we know his contract status. The other issue with OBJ is that we don't know who the QB will be next year. He's friends with Newton so this season will be OK but moving forward would be a question mark.

Why would those text messages still be on his phone? I erase those from my supplier all the time, e.g...

You clearly don't understand that Text Messages aren't ever truly erased. The provider has them on file and can pull them up whenever.

I remember being livid after the Sanu trade. I called it probably the worst trade by BB and that Sanu may not even be on the 2020 roster. I received about a dozen, dislikes if not more, for that post. I want my likes back (LOL). I should find that post and bump it.

Just because the outcome goes your way doesn't mean your analysis or reasoning was necessarily correct. It was a pretty good -- even if expensive -- move at a time where the team was unbeaten and needed another target for Brady. Unless you predicted him getting injured and then never catching back up there is not much credit to give here.

Maybe we should call the bengals and see about liberating aj green from their permanent “basement level” penthouse of an organization?

he did not look bad at all on Sunday.

Two guys that are a little less rich than expected:

Alvin Kamara's 5 year, $75 million deal has a $25 million year at the end that he's never going to get. It's really 4 years, $50 million.

Richard Sherman was sent to IR for at least 3 weeks, which will cost him his chance at his $1 million incentive for 90% play time plus at least $187,500 in per-game roster bonuses.

fans WR hysteria is both funny & tedious .. least sustainable position in football

Generally I agree.

That being said I can also see how getting someone that opens things up just by being on the field could be a lot cheaper than normal because of COVID related cap issues. This could make certain players and their skillset suddenly value when in most other years you would not only have to give a big asset but then also pay the market price tax to keep them.

Cooks on his rookie deal -- and even on that fifth year option at around 8M -- would have been worth the money. But certainly not worth whatever the Rams ended up giving him.

After the ride that was the last couple years where BB consistently did things people didn't expect him to do I don't think it is a fools errand to take a look at adding another element to the current offense. The question really is if there is someone out there where all those things (impact on the field, contract, price in terms of trade assets, age..) align nicely and I don't think I see it.

Maybe we should call the bengals and see about liberating aj green from their permanent “basement level” penthouse of an organization?

he did not look bad at all on Sunday.

Forget it. He is on a 18M franchise tag this year. That means even if traded around the deadline he'd still be somewhere around 9M for half a season.

You might be able to get John Ross. But that wouldn't really be any major jump whatsoever.

You clearly don't understand that Text Messages aren't ever truly erased. The provider has them on file and can pull them up whenever.

not if he’s like 60% of Americans and owns a IPhone. That runs through an encrypted data format if it’s iPhone to iPhone and apple will not hand that over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down