PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Old 2020 thread] NFL Free Agency/Trade Rumors:

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was more than serviceable also he said he really didn’t like Brett Bielima.
Said he didn’t treat him like a man or something like that.
But his stopping the run was a big reason they won the super bowl.
That was Bennett.

Pennel went from string to 3rd string here in TC in minutes.

That was Bennett.

Pennel went from string to 3rd string here in TC in minutes.
He also talked about Bielema though and kind of blasted the whole organization out the door.
He would of been a help against the Titian’s that’s for sure.

He also talked about Bielema though and kind of blasted the whole organization out the door.
He would of been a help against the Titian’s that’s for sure.
Hmm. Didn't see that.

Obviously, Belichick thinks that we need lots of help on our punt coverage unit. We should have a lot of punts.

That being said, please understand that almost all our defensive starters have played a lot of special teams in their careers.
Well played sir!
DW Toys

RE: Pennel and Bielema, Bennett said the same thing about Bielema rubbing him the wrong way.

Losing Daly was a big hit, and not only because of on-the-field performance. Daly was a great guy who connected with his players. Bielema is a first-class assh*le who wasn't well-liked at Wisconsin or Arkansas, either. I suspect there's a reason he made a lateral move to NYG as an OLB coach, with Belichick making no effort to keep him around.

Having an engaged and happy Pennel and Bennett likely would've gotten last season's team a 1st-round bye in the postseason, which totally would've changed their prospects in the playoffs.

Poetic justice that Pennel ended up playing under Daly in KC and won a Super Bowl there.

The only guy on that list of "out" who I look at and say, "man, I wish he was still here" is Harmon.

We knew Brady was gone, that ship sailed.

Dorsett, Karras, Roberts, Shelton were all meh.

Collins is so talented but always tailed off over the course of a season.

Ebner I'll miss, but he's getting older and has been fully replaced with Cody Davis.

Gost I'll also miss but given his cap number, again, that ship sailed; they'll draft a kicker high this season.

I was never as high on Van Noy as others are. Perfectly fine player, but good (and not great) in every regard. He was consistently good and that was it. Certainly could have worse players, that's for sure, but his loss won't be a deathblow to the defense by any means. I didn't care much for his personality, either, but that's neither here nor there. The whole boogeyman thing was a bit much for me.

RE: Pennel and Bielema, Bennett said the same thing about Bielema rubbing him the wrong way.

Losing Daly was a big hit, and not only because of on-the-field performance. Daly was a great guy who connected with his players. Bielema is a first-class assh*le who wasn't well-liked at Wisconsin or Arkansas, either. I suspect there's a reason he made a lateral move to NYG as an OLB coach, with Belichick making no effort to keep him around.

Having an engaged and happy Pennel and Bennett likely would've gotten last season's team a 1st-round bye in the postseason, which totally would've changed their prospects in the playoffs.

Poetic justice that Pennel ended up playing under Daly in KC and won a Super Bowl there.

What I don't understand is why Belichick time after time hires assholes like Bielema, O'Brien, and Patricia. Their jobs require good relationships with players, which those 3 have a terrible track record for. Even Belichick, often considered an ******* in his own regard, at least has a history of respecting his players as people. So why does he keep hiring guys who don't see it the same way?

The only guy on that list of "out" who I look at and say, "man, I wish he was still here" is Harmon.

We knew Brady was gone, that ship sailed.

Dorsett, Karras, Roberts, Shelton were all meh.

Collins is so talented but always tailed off over the course of a season.

Ebner I'll miss, but he's getting older and has been fully replaced with Cody Davis.

Gost I'll also miss but given his cap number, again, that ship sailed; they'll draft a kicker high this season.

I was never as high on Van Noy as others are. Perfectly fine player, but good (and not great) in every regard. He was consistently good and that was it. Certainly could have worse players, that's for sure, but his loss won't be a deathblow to the defense by any means. I didn't care much for his personality, either, but that's neither here nor there. The whole boogeyman thing was a bit much for me.

Ever since we got Phillips, I've considered the Harmon move a win rather than a loss. Also think we could have used all 4 of those guys you labeled as "meh", but they're definitely replaceable.

Agree about everyone else though. Van Noy was good, but not $13M/year good.

What I don't understand is why Belichick time after time hires assholes like Bielema, O'Brien, and Patricia. Their jobs require good relationships with players, which those 3 have a terrible track record for. Even Belichick, often considered an ******* in his own regard, at least has a history of respecting his players as people. So why does he keep hiring guys who don't see it the same way?
Maybe they are good at interviewing?

I didn't realize the players regarded Patricia as a d*ck, but yeah, he seems cut from the same cloth as the others in certain ways, although perhaps a bit more amicable with the players.

Shouldn't be a surprise that the defense played hardest and best under Flores, who although a bit of a hardass, was a down to earth guy who seemed humble and valued his players.

I didn't realize the players regarded Patricia as a d*ck, but yeah, he seems cut from the same cloth as the others in certain ways, although perhaps a bit more amicable with the players.

Shouldn't be a surprise that the defense played hardest and best under Flores, who although a bit of a hardass, was a down to earth guy who seemed humble and valued his players.

Agree about Flores. I loved the way the defense attacked with him as DC. The 2019 defense was also awesome though...they’re being unfairly criticized because the offense was so, so putrid. 2019 was the best defense the Pats have ever fielded, adjusted for era. 2018 was great, too, and got better down the stretch. Mostly the same players and a lot of the same concepts.

How the **** was he so useless here and actually serviceable there?

He was way more than serviceable. Certain evals had him as one of the best run stopping DTs in the entire league.

He was way more than serviceable. Certain evals had him as one of the best run stopping DTs in the entire league.

All the replies to this post of mine are focusing on my use of the word "serviceable" while entirely ignoring the purpose of my post, which was to ask why he sucked here and didn't suck at KC.

I decided to include Patricia in that group after Darius Slay's recent comments.

All the replies to this post of mine are focusing on my use of the word "serviceable" while entirely ignoring the purpose of my post, which was to ask why he sucked here and didn't suck at KC.

And you're not comprehending that he didn't suck in NE, in fact he was an excellent player.

And you're not comprehending that he didn't suck in NE, in fact he was an excellent player.

Based on what? He never played a real down of football here, and was awful by every single account of training camp.

Did the Bears need to trade for Foles? Who was trading for him if they didn’t? Hefty pick they gave up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes