PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Old 2020 thread] NFL Free Agency/Trade Rumors:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Methinks you might not be right. Their interior line is pretty good, but one tackle is a 34 year old free agent and the other sucks.

It was talked about amongst the pundits and on here.

What are your predictions for those teams’ records in 2020 ?
Not good, Detroit may surprise. Point is players are bailing, some for $$, others to be starters, but going to MIA when you could stay at NEP is amazing to me.

Not good, Detroit may surprise. Point is players are bailing, some for $$, others to be starters, but going to MIA when you could stay at NEP is amazing to me.

In Karras' case, it might mean that Andrews is expected to be back and Karras wants to start.

Exactly, you make a series of good points. If the Patriots had huge cap space would anyone really want to give these players that have signed with other teams the same contract to stay with the Pats? No. I'd have liked KVN to keep playing for the Patriots but at $15 mil per season he doesn't have the impact for that type of money yet he is still a very good player.

Investing the money in Thuney is the smart move, either we continue to have the best Guard pairing in the NFL or we trade him for a decent pick and open up more cap space.

IMO and it might be lousy! They have a player who after Gilmore and Thuney is the most expensive player we have in Hightower. Is he really the #3 most valuable player on this Team?

I am not saying he is bad. He is a very good player who could fetch us more via the Trade route than his present value to this Team today.

This is kind of like the Richard Seymour deal only he is not pissy about his money because he got his.

Hers's another thing that bothers me. BB is 69. Yes, he loves it but his sons are important to his coaching days. All things being equal, he might stay for what two? three? more years? Then it might be Josh's time. Why on earth would he want to put all of his chips in on Stidham or a new Rookie QB like a Fromm?

He doesn't want mediocrity in his last few years but this is like the Bernie move in Cleveland when he pulled the plug on him.

I see him now more determined to show the world that he can win without Brady. No one mentions the job he did with Castle who might not be as talented as what he can still get for 2020.

Some thoughts using Hightower and his $12mm CAP:

Perhaps trade Hightower to the Raiders for Carr? This would be the best possible scenario for the Pats I believe.

Nick Mullens was very good when Jimmy G. went down. 2277 yards and 13 TD's in only 8 games with a mediocre Team that year. Would you trade Hightower for Mullens who has a low CAP and move Hightower's big number? Wouldn't Lynch like Hightower?

I will get torched for this but Hightower for Mitch Trubiski? Is he a Josh reclamation project? Still on his rookie deal. In 2018, Trubisky was No. 3 in total quarterback rating (QBR), trailing only Drew Brees and Patrick Mahomes. I was shocked too. Trubisky led all quarterbacks with 50-plus yard completions, by air distance, in 2018, with six
Could the Bears use Hightower?

In the end, I might hold my nose for Cam Newton. A healthy Newton is still scary. Like TB, there were years at Carolina where he had no receivers and was still competitive. I DON'T like him. To use a BB phrase, he gives us the best chance to win.

Maybe Stidham is the answer but I think the Pats are whistling in the graveyard if they think he gives them the "best chance to win". Hope I am wrong.

Another thing that is B.S. "Well the Pats will take their time". You have the reats of FA remaining and the Draft on it's way, so what you do this second on a QB makes all the difference.
DW Toys

Last edited:
IMO and it might be lousy! They have a player who after Gilmore and Thuney is the most expensive player we have in Hightower. Is he really the #3 most valuable player on this Team?

I am not saying he is bad. He is a very good player who could fetch us more via the Trade route than his present value to this Team today.

This is kind of like the Richard Seymour deal only he is not pissy about his money because he got his.

Hers's another thing that bothers me. BB is 69. Yes, he loves it but his sons are important to his coaching days. All things being equal, he might stay for what two? three? more years? Then it might be Josh's time. Why on earth would he want to put all of his chips in on Stidham or a new Rookie QB like a Fromm?

He doesn't want mediocrity in his last few years but this is like the Bernie move in Cleveland when he pulled the plug on him.

I see him now more determined to show the world that he can win without Brady. No one mentions the job he did with Castle who might not be as talented as what he can still get for 2020.

Some thoughts using Hightower and his $12mm CAP:

Perhaps trade Hightower to the Raiders for Carr? This would be the best possible scenario for the Pats I believe.

Nick Mullens was very good when Jimmy G. went down. 2277 yards and 13 TD's in only 8 games with a mediocre Team that year. Would you trade Hightower for Mullens who has a low CAP and move Hightower's big number? Wouldn't Lynch like Hightower?

I will get torched for this but Hightower for Mitch Trubiski? Is he a Josh reclamation project? Still on his rookie deal. In 2018, Trubisky was No. 3 in total quarterback rating (QBR), trailing only Drew Brees and Patrick Mahomes. I was shocked too. Trubisky led all quarterbacks with 50-plus yard completions, by air distance, in 2018, with six
Could the Bears use Hightower?

In the end, I might hold my nose for Cam Newton. A healthy Newton is still scary. Like TB, there were years at Carolina where he had no receivers and was still competitive. I DON'T like him. To use a BB phrase, he gives us the best chance to win.

Maybe Stidham is the answer but I think the Pats are whistling in the graveyard if they think he gives them the "best chance to win". Hope I am wrong.

Another thing that is B.S. "Well the Pats will take their time". You have the reats of FA remaining and the Draft on it's way, so what you do this second on a QB makes all the difference.
DW Toys

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha lmfao oh god wow

You're forgetting Terez Hall. A guy the Pats had on the PS last year and whom they seem high on.
I forgot about Hall too until I was making up a roster chart in Excel yesterday and came across his name. Maybe he can be the third LB, the team does seem to like him. Still expect them to make another move and/or target the position in the draft.

I forgot about Hall too until I was making up a roster chart in Excel yesterday and came across his name. Maybe he can be the third LB, the team does seem to like him. Still expect them to make another move and/or target the position in the draft.

He looked pretty awful in the preseason last year IMO. Same with Malik Gant who gets similar buzz about the coaches loving him.

We've seen stories like this every year. Keionta Davis, Mike Rivera (less recent). The local sports writers have nothing to do but write puff pieces for every marginal player at a position of need.

NEP roster bleeding like the stock market.
Help is on the way to stop the roster bleeding. Heard there is interest in Dorsett returning......why?
DW Toys

You can use my Transaction roster for that.. :)

Ninkompoop called it saying there would be a mass exodus when Brady left.

Ninkompoop called it saying there would be a mass exodus when Brady left.

That was gonna happen either way, but keeping Brady would have made the mass exodus include one or both McCourty bros. This team is absolutely broke right now financially.

That’s very bizarre.

Not really....4 Superbowls in the last 6 years. The roster was loaded and also one of the oldest in the league. Our off-seasons had always been about reloading...

Right now I believe the plan is to solidify the non-skill positions (OL, DL, LB, etc..) while shedding salary commitments for 2021/2022. For example, I could see us giving Thuney a large salary in his first year to make him far more affordable in 2-3 seasons when we need to add 1-2 more skill players to push us over the top.

Not sure if reported but Donkeys to release Jump Ball Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye