PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Old 2020 thread] NFL Free Agency/Trade Rumors:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pats should kick the tires on Jonathan Williams if Sony starts the season on the PUP. Tough runner who finally got healthy last season and produced, could be had on the cheap.

If Sony is ready or near ready they should stand pat and give Harris some run, possibly keep JJ Taylor who has some kick return experience.

Ummm...We sure can use another vet LB now, too...and Bradham was one of the best ones still available...

If Bill doesn't plan on Tanking for Trevor, then he needs to sign replacements - and I mean good ones - and That Right Soon...

LeSean McCoy joining Buccaneers on one-year deal: 'He's very excited to play with' Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski

McCoy hasn't been great since 2017...if he can regain his form the Bucs offense will be close to unstoppable. Their defense is another story...

I think McCoy will be a great addition for them if he can stay healthy. Just another weapon they can use, especially in the passing game. McCoy isn't the same player he used to be, but hes still capable of busting big plays every now and then on draws, screens, etc

They won't ask him to carry the load, he'll just be a role player and that will be a very effective role for him

Last edited:
And say this with me:

Nick.

Chubb.

The past is the past, can't change it

Looking back, i dont recall very many people clamoring about Chubb over Sony after the draft. It wasn't until Chubb exploded onto the scene that there was some revisionist history going on

Sony helped us win a Superbowl tho with a very effective playoff run. We used to hammer on players for being stat padders during regular season and disappearing during the playoffs when games mattered. Sony is facing the opposite scrutiny, people are hammering him for his regular season performance and ignoring his excellent playoff performances, when the games mattered....

Always 1 or 2 whipping boys on this team that get excessively scrutinized and hammered by posters, and Sony is certainly one of them, especially given the state of the roster last year

Seems like people are using him as a scape goat for the atrocious offensive play last year, when the 2 are clearly linked together

Wow, Tommy has some serious weapons to play with down there

About 2 years too late to call him a "weapon". He is the classic downslope/washed veteran signing that we have seen almost annually during the last decade in Foxboro as well.

About 2 years too late to call him a "weapon". He is the classic downslope/washed veteran signing that we have seen almost annually during the last decade in Foxboro as well.
True, but they only need him to be a James White type at this point. He still has a bit of wiggle based off of last years’ tape. He’s no longer a work horse. If TB can get 500-800 total yards from him, that should suffice.

McCoy isn't a superstar back anymore that will carry the load obviously, but with the over abundance of talented players in that Tampa offense I'm sure they'll be able to carve out some productive plays where McCoy can create some mismatches

I cant even imagine trying to defend against that offense this year, at least schematically... what a nightmare

Hell I'm 37 and out of shape now, and I could probably find a little production in that offense haha

McCoy isn't a superstar back anymore that will carry the load obviously, but with the over abundance of talented players in that Tampa offense I'm sure they'll be able to carve out some productive plays where McCoy can create some mismatches

I cant even imagine trying to defend against that offense this year, at least schematically... what a nightmare

Hell I'm 37 and out of shape now, and I could probably find a little production in that offense haha

Unless he makes a miraculous jump in run blocking I am not sure Brady will be particularly satisfied with having him on the field. At best he will have a surprising start and then fades as the season moves past the first 4-6 games and will be an after thought once we hit November.

The usual trajectory for players at his stage.

True, but they only need him to be a James White type at this point. He still has a bit of wiggle based off of last years’ tape. He’s no longer a work horse. If TB can get 500-800 total yards from him, that should suffice.

I mean there is no comparison between White and McCoy in the last 2 years. White has been the more productive and complete player ever since McCoy started his decline.

I mean there is no comparison between White and McCoy in the last 2 years. White has been the more productive and complete player ever since McCoy started his decline.
Of course, but that wasn’t my point. I was saying McCoy only needs to catch passes out of the backfield & run sparingly between the tackles. He can still be effective on sweeps, screens & anything in space (there will be plenty of space due to the abundance of weaponry TB has). Notice I said “James White type” not be James White.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back