PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency 2022 edition

He was traded to the Raiders.
So you're saying the Raiders have pinned their future on him and they couldn't pry him away from JMD cold dead hands?

Guess we should be expecting a trade soon since the Pats don't have enough $$ to buy groceries.

Guess we should be expecting a trade soon since the Pats don't have enough $$ to buy groceries.

They could extend or rework current contracts and have plenty of space. They're currently slated to have the 2nd most cap space in the entire league in 2023 (64 million under) with their QB on a rookie deal and a bunch of young players stepping into prominent roles.

We should be expecting a trade or two during preseason assuming health because they're too deep at key positions like WR, RB, CB and possibly OL.

Who gets traded first? Agholor, Meyers, Wynn, Harry, Slowjuan?

Obsessed much about their cap situation? A restructure or extension seems more likely but either way, speculating about it is a waste of time. The time to discuss it is after they make the move, which they will at some point.

It’s beautiful outside right now. My unsolicited and probably unwanted advice: Step away from the computer/put the phone/tablet in a drawer, get some fresh air and enjoy nature….take a walk, ride a bike, find a pond and skip some stones, take a nap in the shade, whatever. It will be a healthy break for you, and for us.

Besides the one I'm thinking is a possibility, whom do you have in mind?
I'm also ass-uming you are mainly referring to those drafted within the top 163 (Kyle Phillips)...
Lots of 1st round busts. Drake London is my top choice. None of the WR's taken in the first round were particularly impressive as most of them had the same highlights of a DB drapped on them.

Myers would be pointless to trade given his low salary. But if Thornton shows anything in camp and Agholor struggles, Agholor could be dealt.
Keeping a eye on Nelson Agholar, Jonathan Jones and Isiah Wynn.
I say Jones stays. But if the rookies show anything, this will be his last year.

Wynn I could see getting dealt if he struggles in camp.

Myers would be pointless to trade given his low salary. But if Thornton shows anything in camp and Agholor struggles, Agholor could be dealt.

I say Jones stays. But if the rookies show anything, this will be his last year.

Wynn I could see getting dealt if he struggles in camp.

That is why teams would trade for Myers, because of his low cap #, and offer something other than a 6th or 7th. I think you meant that trading Myers for cap space relief would be pointless, which is true, but trading Myers for a 3rd or 4th would not be pointless if Nixon can step in. Nixon is a much better athlete that will threaten all parts of the field.

Lots of 1st round busts. Drake London is my top choice. None of the WR's taken in the first round were particularly impressive as most of them had the same highlights of a DB drapped on them.

Yeah I still don't know why some of us were feeling that WR was the way to go in the 1st round... I never saw it that way really, especially after the top prospects at the other positions started to sort themselves out...

Yeah I still don't know why some of us were feeling that WR was the way to go in the 1st round... I never saw it that way really, especially after the top prospects at the other positions started to sort themselves out...

Daxton hill or cole the strange?

What would you do?

Daxton hill or cole the strange?

What would you do?

Dax Hill, in the hope that his physical & athletic gifts could translate to Outside CB...

Kyler Gordon & Andrew Booth were also strong considerations, as was of course George Karlaftis.

Dax Hill, in the hope that his physical & athletic gifts could translate to Outside CB...

Kyler Gordon & Andrew Booth were also strong considerations, as was of course George Karlaftis.

So why did bb go rogue and overdraft cole the strange?

Gordon and Booth were both a stretch IMO. I would have preferred Dax Hill, but as you say assuming he can play outside CB (risk).

We went with Strange because of the reduced risk and the OZ running scheme we are transitioning too. Strange will be good, we do not know how good. Hill or Karlaftis have more risk but more upside.

For the same general reason that most of these reaches occur: Bill's attempt to show the league that he's the smartest guy in the (draft) room, when in fact he's one of the least-informed.

And just to be clear, again, my criticism of the Strange69 pick at #29 has little to do with his ability as a starting-caliber LG on a legit contender; it has mostly to do with his availability at a later point in the draft so that #29 could've been spent on one of the CBs or DE George Karlafits (and #54 on Travis Jones), positions where I feel we needed the most help...

#85 is where I would've started looking for Strange69... same as the HC of the reigning Champion LARs... and if he was unavailable then oh well there are other fish in that pond too...

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back