PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL considering going back to original sudden death OT

Not all players agreed with CBA. It's about safety for these guys too. I get that you want to watch the most carnage possible from your couch, but concussions and career ending injuries aren't a joke to these guys.

I think the issue with OT is after going 100% for 60 minutes, the odds of injuries are increased during OT. I have no idea what the stats show on that but it makes sense.
If the game was played based primarily on player safety there would be no game.

It's, by far, the best combination of fairness + expected brevity + likelihood of getting out of the OT with a victor.

It's, by far, the best combination of fairness + expected brevity + likelihood of getting out of the OT with a victor.

the old way was a coin flip to see who got the ball first.. the average starting field position was the 30+ yard line, so all the offense had to do was get 35-40 yards and the game was over

When teams won by kicking a field goal in the old format, it definitely had a sour taste to it... at least with the new rules, if they drive it down the field and shove it down your throat for a TD in OT, then bye bye.. but if they get 1 or 2 medium level completions and kick a rinky dink FG to end an otherwise super competitive game... blah, what an anti-climatic way to end it

the old way was a coin flip to see who got the ball first.. the average starting field position was the 30+ yard line, so all the offense had to do was get 35-40 yards and the game was over

When teams won by kicking a field goal in the old format, it definitely had a sour taste to it... at least with the new rules, if they drive it down the field and shove it down your throat for a TD in OT, then bye bye.. but if they get 1 or 2 medium level completions and kick a rinky dink FG to end an otherwise super competitive game... blah, what an anti-climatic way to end it
Nothing is more fair than the coin toss followed by sudden death. It's "Next score wins" with each side having an even crack at getting the ball first.

That's a lot more fair than having the team that surrendered a field goal now having the advantage of knowing that it's got to go for it on every series of downs that's outside of field goal range.

And the offenses wouldn't score FGs if the defenses didn't fail to keep them out of FG range.

Florio had the best idea a few years ago: let the teams continue playing from the end of 4th quarter into overtime. Don’t reset field position or have a coin toss. Now late 4th quarter strategy is the determining factor of who has the ball and where. Also, you’d get more teams going for 2, trying to win, in the final minutes of regulation, so there would be fewer overtimes.
Drawback: With the Raiders and Falcons having the ball late in tie games, the Snow Bowl and SB51 might be remembered very differently.

Regards,
Chris

Florio had the best idea a few years ago: let the teams continue playing from the end of 4th quarter into overtime. Don’t reset field position or have a coin toss. Now late 4th quarter strategy is the determining factor of who has the ball and where. Also, you’d get more teams going for 2, trying to win, in the final minutes of regulation, so there would be fewer overtimes.
Didn't see this. Looks like Florio and I think alike!

I can see the nfl is totally inept at coming up with ways to shorten games just like the MLB. 10 games went to to OT this year

Didn't see this. Looks like Florio and I think alike!

It's a terrible idea, and Florio should feel shame for pushing it.

I can see the nfl is totally inept at coming up with ways to shorten games just like the MLB. 10 games went to to OT this year

Why is the current 3 hour to 3 hour fifteen minute game a problem?
What's the problem with 10 games heading to overtime?

Why is the current 3 hour to 3 hour fifteen minute game a problem?
What's the problem with 10 games heading to overtime?

if the goal of this is to shorten games. This will have very little general effect

if the goal of this is to shorten games. This will have very little general effect

Of course OT rules have little effect on game times. And personally, I find game time to be a laughable reason for making the changes. But it is true that going back to the earlier rule will stop drives following a field goal. That'll shorten games that hit a very specific set of parameters.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back