PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL.Com: Brady no longer a superstar (JULY article)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the life of me I'm trying to see how Brady's performance last season was "less than" year's past, but don't see it in light of what I watched. That offense was sporadic and inefficient at times, while other times it was great. This can be said of the entire team at one point or another last season.

The special teams took until the midpoint or trading deadline to figure themselves out. The defense took until the Bye week (week 12) to figure themselves out. The offense was terrible to start the season, great for a half or a game here and there, then outright terrible for another.

Brady's number's on the year:
375-570 attempts - 66% completions - 4355 yards - 29 TD's - 11 INTs - 98 QB Rating

The only number that is glaring here are his interceptions. Let's delve deeper.

This article below was written after five games. Three of his first six interceptions were not his fault, two of his receivers let the ball slip through his hands into those of a waiting defender, the third was tipped at the line of scrimmage.

www.masslive.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/10/ba0a0eecbd8328/tom-brady-is-on-pace-to-throw.html

Just off the top of my head I can recall Gronk doing the same thing against Buffalo, Develin did the same thing vs Chicago, Edelman did the same thing against the Vikings... I'm pretty sure there was one more but let's leave it there. Crappy receiver play and one tipped ball lead to at least 6 of those interceptions at minimum. Bad football...

Not to mention Josh Gordon only caught 59% of his targets, and around the Minnesota game Jules had a wicked case of the dropsies...

375-570 attempts - 66% completions - 4355 yards - 29 TD's - 5 INTs... adjust those INT's and his QB rating jumps dramatically, his completion percentage jumps also if those balls are caught and the receivers play better all season. Those are typical GOAT Tom Brady numbers.

The offense had to play better, they played great against the Jests because to start the game Hogan and Dorsett were the focal point which opened things up for Jules, Gronk and the rest. If you make the defense defend the whole field, respect every weapon then they can't possibly cover them all. Josh did a better job game planning and scheming to get these guys involved as the season progressed.

Brady isn't the one who scares me, Josh scares me... is he going to revert back to five step drops and 15-20 yard routes only, forget screens, draws, sweeps, play action, trickery, forget that Dorsett and other weapons exist, become vanilla all over again?

I think with a new set of massive WR's Brady has another great year and the notion of the cliff is destroyed yet again.
These f-ing people have nothing else to write about and are uninformed. They do not watch every throw or every game. They look at some numbers and look at a few games and refuse to apply context and historical reference to the here and now.

Once they complete their "analysis" they curb it to be critical so to get clicks.

Any astute observer of TB12's performance last year will say it was not "less than". He certainly had some games and throws that were not up to his standard. He also had some personnel issues at WR and some injury issues at TE and RB which would have any QB at slight disadvantage. When you factor all that in he had a very, very good year.

For the life of me I'm trying to see how Brady's performance last season was "less than" year's past, but don't see it in light of what I watched. That offense was sporadic and inefficient at times, while other times it was great. This can be said of the entire team at one point or another last season.

The special teams took until the midpoint or trading deadline to figure themselves out. The defense took until the Bye week (week 12) to figure themselves out. The offense was terrible to start the season, great for a half or a game here and there, then outright terrible for another.

375-570 attempts - 66% completions - 4355 yards - 29 TD's - 11 INTs - 98 QB Rating

This article below was written after five games. Three of his first six interceptions were not his fault, two of his receivers let the ball slip through his hands into those of a waiting defender, the third was tipped at the line of scrimmage.

www.masslive.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/10/ba0a0eecbd8328/tom-brady-is-on-pace-to-throw.html

Just off the top of my head I can recall Gronk doing the same thing against Buffalo, Develin did the same thing vs Chicago, Edelman did the same thing against the Vikings... I'm pretty sure there was one more, but let's leave it there. Crappy receiver play and one tipped ball lead to at least 6 of those interceptions at minimum. Bad football...

Not to mention Josh Gordon only caught 59% of his targets, and around the Minnesota game Jules had a wicked case of the dropsies...

375-570 attempts - 66% completions - 4355 yards - 29 TD's - 5 INTs... adjust those INT's and his QB rating jumps dramatically, his completion percentage jumps also if those balls are caught and the receivers play better all season. Those are typical GOAT Tom Brady numbers.

The offense had to play better, they played great against the Jests in week 17 because to start the game Hogan and Dorsett were the focal point which opened things up for Jules, Gronk and the rest. If you make the defense defend the whole field, respect every weapon then they can't possibly cover them all. Josh did a better job game planning and scheming to get these guys involved as the season progressed.

Brady isn't the one who scares me, Josh scares me... is he going to revert back to five step drops and 15-20 yard routes only, forget screens, draws, sweeps, play action, trickery, forget that Dorsett and other weapons exist, become vanilla all over again?

I think wth a new set of massive WR's Brady has another great year and the notion of the cliff is destroyed yet again.

Eh I doubt it, considering that Harry is a YAC receiver and the RB corp should be one of the most dynamic and capable in the league.. personally I am very excited for the potential of this offense.

Tom has aged well. So has Gisele.

Any astute observer of TB12's performance last year will say it was not "less than". He certainly had some games and throws that were not up to his standard. He also had some personnel issues at WR and some injury issues at TE and RB which would have any QB at slight disadvantage. When you factor all that in he had a very, very good year.

True that.
Brady has done so much for so long that the expectation has become he not only can but consistently should make chicken salad out of chicken bleep. And on those rare occasions when he can't we get...'cliff' BS.

Just off the top of my head I can recall Gronk doing the same thing against Buffalo, Develin did the same thing vs Chicago, Edelman did the same thing against the Vikings... I'm pretty sure there was one more, but let's leave it there. Crappy receiver play and one tipped ball lead to at least 6 of those interceptions at minimum. Bad football...

The offense had to play better, they played great against the Jests in week 17 because to start the game Hogan and Dorsett were the focal point which opened things up for Jules, Gronk and the rest. If you make the defense defend the whole field, respect every weapon then they can't possibly cover them all. Josh did a better job game planning and scheming to get these guys involved as the season progressed.

I think wth a new set of massive WR's Brady has another great year and the notion of the cliff is destroyed yet again.

With you on the general idea, but the woulda-shoulda-coulda erased interception stat-fudge is too much. Lots of interception totals include "not his fault" interceptions. It is what it is, I hate to be so unoriginal as to say. He's the great one, he's still at the top of his game, and like every player every play, each one can be the beginning of the end (it's just been the case for such a long time!)

Here's hoping that after he is done earning his rings, the rest of the team drags him over the finish line twice like Elway just to make it an even 10. :D

With you on the general idea, but the woulda-shoulda-coulda erased interception stat-fudge is too much. Lots of interception totals include "not his fault" interceptions. It is what it is, I hate to be so unoriginal as to say. He's the great one, he's still at the top of his game, and like every player every play, each one can be the beginning of the end (it's just been the case for such a long time!)

Here's hoping that after he is done earning his rings, the rest of the team drags him over the finish line twice like Elway just to make it an even 10. :D
Minus the interceptions that should have been catches, last season was one of Tom most efficient seasons throwing the ball. Can I prove he would have been better had his receivers had not dropped so many in this fictional scenario... no.

If Tom comes out this season, a year older, and has an amazing season in relation to last year then I've proven my point. I believe with this collection of WR's, health provided, he will.

I listen to the "Around the NFL" podcast (as one of my 5 or 6 NFL podcasts) all the time and generally find it informative and entertaining. Dan Hanzus is the host and an avid Jets (and Yankees) fan. (The other 3 regulars are a Patriots fan, a Cleveland Browns fan and a former Cincinnati Bengals fan who no longer has a team he passionately roots for.)

Dan has a tendency to get disturbed when the Patriots do well and *very* disturbed when they do very well, particularly if there is some luck involved. He tries (at times) to hold back his bias but it often comes to the forefront (he used to call the Patriots the "throne of ease" due to their championships but now more commonly refers to them as the "throne of sleaze"). He was very depressed after the Patriots won their most recent Super Bowl; I'm surprised he made it through that podcast.

These rankings were predictions for the upcoming 2019 season. In Dan's defense, Brady has tailed off a bit in December each of the past few seasons. Also, most NFL experts had Brady's 2018 regular season performance ranked somewhere between 8 - 14 out of the 32 QBs and my own personal ranking of Brady was in that range. It was disappointing.

That being said (as has been noted earlier in this thread), there were reasons apart from possible slippage due to age for his less than stellar performance. Brady continues to shine the brightest at the most critical times. Brady's demise has been predicted (and declared) by many for 5+ years now and they've been wrong every year.

Bottom line: this is mostly wishful thinking from a jaded Jets fan who struggles to see Brady's success year after year and desperately yearns for Patriots failure and Jets success. I will say that Dan's superstar club decision didn't get much support on the podcast - but didn't really receive much criticism either from the usually talkative group. He expressed some surprise a week later at the firestorm his off-the-wall superstar club judgments had elicited which hasn't seemed to have had any impact on his ability to think more clearly about either Tom Brady or the Patriots.

Bernard Pollard be like "He puts on his pads one knee at a time like anybody else..."

Without Bernard Pollard Brady might have seven or eight rings by now, so do us a favor Bernie and just STFU.

We should thank these guys for the bulletin board material, im's sure TB will do his up-most to prove them wrong.

They put brees on there despite him probably declining more than Brady down the stretch.
There isn't any probably about it, Brees couldn't throw the ball farther then 10 yards at the end of last year.

NFL Superstar Club: Deshaun Watson gets in, Tom Brady booted

i couldn’t stop laughing at this. Brady is better than all those QBs on the above list.
taking anyone of those QBs over Brady even in 2019 is simply crazy.

For some of them listed, I am actually shocked they would even consider them in Brady's realm at any level. Brees is really the only one in the list than even be discussed as being as "good as Brady" in 2019, and he is a stretch.

It is just dumb.

D4JPBpyXsAEu_0s.jpg

Prophecies say his reign won't last long...

"A cliff is coming" so goes the song...

Warriors have come and warriors have gone...

But still the King marches on...

Minus the interceptions that should have been catches, last season was one of Tom most efficient seasons throwing the ball. Can I prove he would have been better had his receivers had not dropped so many in this fictional scenario... no.

If Tom comes out this season, a year older, and has an amazing season in relation to last year then I've proven my point. I believe with this collection of WR's, health provided, he will.

I "liked" the post, but it would be silly not to acknowledge that "contrafactual methodology" again leaps to the fore once you succeed with a highly talented group of receivers, coincidentally erasing years without any premiere receiving options.

"Oh yeah my QB woulda been great with Welker/Moss/Stallworth too!"

Yeah, after the fact. Before the fact, Moss was a washed up locker room cancer, Welker was a glorified punt returner, and Stallworth... well okay, he was the guy whose value slipped in reality vs. woulda shoulda coulda world.

This next part will make it really hard to get your head around who's "good," but... it's rare that guys who were "good" in NE go somewhere else and stay "good." This is the ultimate team game, but the "greats" in this game are elite athletes, 1-in-a-million talents.

I think TFB could go somewhere and as an individual, with a coach who accepts that he would re-form the team around his memory of greatness, he could drag a team with him to a title... but I hope we never have to test the theory. But your average so-called "skill player" is the opposite of a "skill" player. They're basically talent players, with some modicum of work to sharpen a talent.

The guys who have to have truly perfect technique and never get it wrong are in the trenches, from what little I understand about the game. They're the ones you hold accountable if they let the golden boy get sacked twice in a game... yes, get beat twice in an afternoon, and maybe you need to move to a new city. Compare that to a bad day where you drop 2 passes. Naturally you can pad that by previous periods of productivity... but, mental exercise: Name a receiver who's "streaky" or "might take plays off." Got it? Why do they keep him? Well, it's those moments of brilliance innit?

Right, now name a "streaky" lineman. Way worse concept.

Those brilliant instincts to stab an arm into the air at the right time to grab the ball only you could possibly reach, well, how much of that is the 10,000 times you did it in practice, how much is the advantages of gym and diet, and how much of it is what you came out of the womb with? At the elite level, you're looking at guys with freakish natural gifts and instincts. "Same species my a**" -type ability. But super-skilled they ain't, not necessarily. They can work really hard and get that extra result out of the talent, but you came down the chute with potential to be better than 99.999% of people. (But, eat a pizza a day and sit in front of a computer, and you'll probably get only slightly better results than yours truly - understood. No dis on the super-talented; you can ruin talent too.)

All I'm saying in my roundabout way is that something gels for the Pats beyond what people can do on their own elsewhere. There's a culture in NE, and there's an uncanny ability on the part of the coaching staff, to get the most out of each elite talent.

Really, they coddle their prima donna divas in one dimension only: They will bend over backwards to put you in the perfect position to optimally contribute to the outcome. They will get the best football outcome out of you that you can imagine. They will measure it by your contribution to a team goal, and you will measure it that way, if you recognize the luxury of being coddled in this sense. If you understand that this is the highest respect anybody can ever pay you in a team game, New England will put you in that position. But it's hard, because if you measure individual vs. team, "the team is selfish." Sounds funny, right? Because it is. Your ego has to not count. Humans aren't built for that kind of mind-frak. People want individual validation.

You have to be really grown up, or you need to be capable of really growing up, to flourish in NE. That's in addition to the elite talent proposition and the elite training and work requirement, to make sure you don't throw away how far you could get with your talent.

Damn, even thinking about these guys' world makes me feel like $XX million/year isn't enough to make a living that way. I guess it's good they only have to do it 20 years at the absolute outside (avg. of more like 3.)

They're right actually. He went supernova that night in Houston, and has been spewing his star dust on the whole league since.

I "liked" the post, but it would be silly not to acknowledge that "contrafactual methodology" again leaps to the fore once you succeed with a highly talented group of receivers, coincidentally erasing years without any premiere receiving options.

"Oh yeah my QB woulda been great with Welker/Moss/Stallworth too!"

Yeah, after the fact. Before the fact, Moss was a washed up locker room cancer, Welker was a glorified punt returner, and Stallworth... well okay, he was the guy whose value slipped in reality vs. woulda shoulda coulda world.

This next part will make it really hard to get your head around who's "good," but... it's rare that guys who were "good" in NE go somewhere else and stay "good." This is the ultimate team game, but the "greats" in this game are elite athletes, 1-in-a-million talents.

I think TFB could go somewhere and as an individual, with a coach who accepts that he would re-form the team around his memory of greatness, he could drag a team with him to a title... but I hope we never have to test the theory. But your average so-called "skill player" is the opposite of a "skill" player. They're basically talent players, with some modicum of work to sharpen a talent.

The guys who have to have truly perfect technique and never get it wrong are in the trenches, from what little I understand about the game. They're the ones you hold accountable if they let the golden boy get sacked twice in a game... yes, get beat twice in an afternoon, and maybe you need to move to a new city. Compare that to a bad day where you drop 2 passes. Naturally you can pad that by previous periods of productivity... but, mental exercise: Name a receiver who's "streaky" or "might take plays off." Got it? Why do they keep him? Well, it's those moments of brilliance innit?

Right, now name a "streaky" lineman. Way worse concept.

Those brilliant instincts to stab an arm into the air at the right time to grab the ball only you could possibly reach, well, how much of that is the 10,000 times you did it in practice, how much is the advantages of gym and diet, and how much of it is what you came out of the womb with? At the elite level, you're looking at guys with freakish natural gifts and instincts. "Same species my a**" -type ability. But super-skilled they ain't, not necessarily. They can work really hard and get that extra result out of the talent, but you came down the chute with potential to be better than 99.999% of people. (But, eat a pizza a day and sit in front of a computer, and you'll probably get only slightly better results than yours truly - understood. No dis on the super-talented; you can ruin talent too.)

All I'm saying in my roundabout way is that something gels for the Pats beyond what people can do on their own elsewhere. There's a culture in NE, and there's an uncanny ability on the part of the coaching staff, to get the most out of each elite talent.

Really, they coddle their prima donna divas in one dimension only: They will bend over backwards to put you in the perfect position to optimally contribute to the outcome. They will get the best football outcome out of you that you can imagine. They will measure it by your contribution to a team goal, and you will measure it that way, if you recognize the luxury of being coddled in this sense. If you understand that this is the highest respect anybody can ever pay you in a team game, New England will put you in that position. But it's hard, because if you measure individual vs. team, "the team is selfish." Sounds funny, right? Because it is. Your ego has to not count. Humans aren't built for that kind of mind-frak. People want individual validation.

You have to be really grown up, or you need to be capable of really growing up, to flourish in NE. That's in addition to the elite talent proposition and the elite training and work requirement, to make sure you don't throw away how far you could get with your talent.

Damn, even thinking about these guys' world makes me feel like $XX million/year isn't enough to make a living that way. I guess it's good they only have to do it 20 years at the absolute outside (avg. of more like 3.)

Good (albiet long) post, I would have simply wrote something smarmy like "was Tom Brady too old last year but not this one?" And signed off...

Vindication feels good, they need to shore up that OT position so Tom can break every passing record in his advanced age this season.

Now I have to find that guy who said Jamie Collins wasn't one of our best defenders his first go round to point out how Collins leads us in tackles, solo tackles, tackles for a loss, QB hits, and leads the entire NFL in interceptions, yards and defensive TD's... so he can tell me how stats don't matter again.

"Meh pass catchers?" I am still trying to figure that one out? The pats might have the best WR corps ever assembled and this guy calls it Meh?

If this is Meh then what was last years group? They must have been incredibly meh and he won the superbowl with them.

Something not right with this guy. Typical new generation garbage. Did anyone write something like this when Montana became pedestrian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes