PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Next year's RB class

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpatriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Many people (including myself) have been making arguments to pick Lendale White or DeAngelo Williams with our 21st pick, if either falls. Others argue we should draft a LB or DB. My question is: if we don't draft a back that can eventually replace Dillon this year, is there going to be anyone worth drafting next year?

I can't think of any particularly electrifying names at RB coming up in next year's draft (unless Marshawn Lynch or Adrian Peterson declares) but maybe I am missing someone.

drpatriot said:
Many people (including myself) have been making arguments to pick Lendale White or DeAngelo Williams with our 21st pick, if either falls. Others argue we should draft a LB or DB. My question is: if we don't draft a back that can eventually replace Dillon this year, is there going to be anyone worth drafting next year?

I can't think of any particularly electrifying names at RB coming up in next year's draft (unless Marshawn Lynch or Adrian Peterson declares) but maybe I am missing someone.

OT: i got reggie bush in my madden draft '06
and marshawn lynch in the 4th rd in draft '07

For the 2007 draft, players on the NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM future's list are: (Top 10)

Michael Bush - Louisville
Kenny Irons - Auburn
Lorenzo Booker - FSU
Brian Leonard - Rutgers
Deshawn Wynn - Florida
Tyrone Moss - Miami
Stevie Hicks - Iowa State
Garrett Wolfe - Northern Illinois
Clifton Dawson - Harvard
Alley Broussard - LSU

As of right now, they rate into the 4th round.

Now, none of these are Juniors who might declare.

Juniors who might declare are:
Adrian Peterson - Oklahoma
Marshawn Lynch - California
Mike Hart - Michigan
Gary Russell - Minnesota
Lynell Hamilton - San Diego State
Darius Walker - Notre Dame
Albert Young - Iowa

Good list DaBruinz. There is a lot of RB on there that I would like to have. Depending on juniors declaring it actually could be pretty deep. Brian Leonard seems like a player who would fit us perfectly. Peterson and Lynch should go too high for us. I wouldn't be surprised if Michael Bush was out of our range as well. Of the Florida backs, I would prefer Tyrone Moss. I like Wynn, but he has never done enough as he could have and Booker just dances around too much. I have heard and read a lot of good things about Lynell Hamilton but I have never seen him play, so if anyone could tell me more about him that would be great.

i kinda like michael bush

Michael Bush is a beast. Barring injury and depending on how he runs next year at this time he could be a very high pick.

Irons - it will be very interesting to see if Irons has a good year given the departure of McNeil from the Auburn OL.

nickw308810 said:
Good list DaBruinz. There is a lot of RB on there that I would like to have. Depending on juniors declaring it actually could be pretty deep. Brian Leonard seems like a player who would fit us perfectly. Peterson and Lynch should go too high for us. I wouldn't be surprised if Michael Bush was out of our range as well. Of the Florida backs, I would prefer Tyrone Moss. I like Wynn, but he has never done enough as he could have and Booker just dances around too much. I have heard and read a lot of good things about Lynell Hamilton but I have never seen him play, so if anyone could tell me more about him that would be great.

Thanks Nick. Though, All I did was grab the top 10 for 2007 based on NFLDraftScout.com and the top players who would be juniors next year but Seniors in 2008.

Would like to add Tony Hunt - RB Penn St. He's no LJ. But, he's
going to have a big senior season. Have strong blocking fb returning
Brandon Snow. Plenty of threats at wr too.

patsfaninpa said:
Would like to add Tony Hunt - RB Penn St. He's no LJ. But, he's
going to have a big senior season. Have strong blocking fb returning
Brandon Snow. Plenty of threats at wr too.
Sorry, but I don't trust Big 10 rbs in general; their OL is so massive that they can just run through the massive holes they make.

Although LJ is a good RB, he is EXTREMELY successful because he still has a massive OL in Kansas City, reminiscent of his Penn State days. I don't foresee us drafting a back from any Big 10 school in the near future.

Last edited:
Will you consider LJ a good back if he breaks the NFL single-season
record? Or, isn't that enough to impress YOU? You can take all of the
questions about him over. He's awesome.

patsfaninpa said:
Will you consider LJ a good back if he breaks the NFL single-season
record? Or, isn't that enough to impress YOU? You can take all of the
questions about him over. He's awesome.
I never said I didn't consider him a good back. I think he is a good back whose skills are amplified by a fantastic line that is not present on other teams. He would not put up the same stats in New Orleans or San Fransisco, for example. Not to say that he would become a bust on either team, he just wouldn't be AS good.

Some would argue that Chris Perry, Ki-Jana Carter, Anthony Thomas or Curtis Enis would have been more successful behind the Kansas City line. I am not one of those people; Larry Johnson is a better back than all of them, easily. However, he does benefit from a great line in Kansas City that makes it easier for him to perform as well as he has.

Fantasic4x50x54x59x55 said:
Adrian Peterson > Reggie Bush

watch...

No doubt about it, and it's not even close. Mr. "Once in a Generation" is going to be renamed "Once in a Draft".

What do have against Reggie. Size? Isn't he the same size as Curtis when Curtis came out???? Speed? Help me out on this?

Ochmed Jones said:
What do have against Reggie. Size? Isn't he the same size as Curtis when Curtis came out???? Speed? Help me out on this?

I don't have anything against him personally, just think he's the most overrated player to come out since Vick. Size? His size is barely adequate, but he certainly doesn't have Curtis' running style. More like Dave Meggett's.

The problem I see is that three things, besides his athleticism, made him extremely successful:

1) So much faster than everybody else on the NCAA level (see Howard, Desmond and Ismail, Raghib). He's not going to get to the corner and outrun everybody in the NFL.

2) Teams unable to focus on him due to Heisman winning quarterback.

3) Playing on a truly dominant NCAA team, including several linemen who will be drafted (see Dayne, Ron)

I think Bush will be a very good NFL player. Somewhere between Brian Mitchell and Brian Westbrook. I also think it would be a mistake to draft him in the first five picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing