PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Newest mock for patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcbee

Banned
Reaction score
1. Lawson DE NC State - good character, hard worker, phenom athlete, MVP of NC state defense, plays special teams, etc. Light at 6-5 245 but could prob. gain 5-10 pounds.

2. Maurice Drew RB - UCLA only 5-7 but almost 210 pounds. Very shifty.

3a. Greg Jennings WR Western Michigan. Another high character guy, returns punts, good hands.

3b. Chris GoCong - Cal Poly DE. Not just a small school player. 40 inch vertical at 265 pounds, very good agility, former QB. Very smart, high character. Can play any LB position eventually.

4a. Mike Hass/Jason Avant WR - Both high character possession type. Hass isn't supposed to last this long, but you never know. IT's good to be flexible as some good player will ALWAYS drop.

4b. Marcus Maxey CB Miami- not much starting experience but the effort and tools are there.

5. Pat Ross C BC. May be as talented as Koppen - BC centers tend to do well.

6a. D'Arrius Howard RB Arkansas. Good size, very good between tackles.
6b. Steve Fifita - DT Utah. Underrated but strong, good NT prospect.
6c. Keith Ellison - LB / Safety Oregon State. Big for safety but could maybe lose 10 pounds. May not be here.

7. Jeff King TE VT

Not bad at all, although I don't know many of the guys after the 5th round. The only think I don't like too much is Drew in the second - I wouldn't mind him but I think we'll be able to do better at that point in the draft.

Mine was better :D, good timing though haha, I posted mine like five minutes after yours haha!

Maxey is an interesting selection. BB was reported to have worked out Jennings, maybe he got a look at Maxey also. Hard to get a good read on an potential upside with Maxey becauseit did take him a rather long time to creack the Hurricanes line up.

BelichickFan said:
Not bad at all, although I don't know many of the guys after the 5th round. The only think I don't like too much is Drew in the second - I wouldn't mind him but I think we'll be able to do better at that point in the draft.
Ditto that. If we want Drew, we could get him in the third (if not later). I'd rather have Addai or Norwood over Drew. Other than that pick, I'd be happy with that draft.

Maxey is an interesting guy

Ochmed Jones said:
Maxey is an interesting selection. BB was reported to have worked out Jennings, maybe he got a look at Maxey also. Hard to get a good read on an potential upside with Maxey becauseit did take him a rather long time to creack the Hurricanes line up.

Although I am a harsh critic of the 2006 draft class for my beloved Miami Hurricanes, Marcus Maxey is turning out to be a very interesting prospect. He was a Butch Johnson recruit out of the Texas High Scool system. Nice religious kid, great character and was willing to play anywhere and do anything for the team. (This actually hurt him career-wise). He came to us as a DB in 2001, but was immediately red-shirted because he was competing for playing time with Ed Reed, Phillip Buchannon, and Mike Rumph, who were all future #1 draft picks. His freshman season it didn't get much better with Al Marshall, Sean Taylor and a young Antrell Rolle all starting ahead of him. He did play in every game on special teams, where he excelled from day one. Throughout his career at the U, he never really had a set position. They played him at CB, S, and nickel. He was durable and always around the ball. (Unlike Hester and Jennings, this kid can TACKLE with a capital "T"). The next 3 years he competed with Antrelle Rolle, Kenny Phillips, Greg Threat, Kelly Jennings, Brandon Merriweather, Glenn Sharpe, and others. Again, they used Marcus all over the defensive backfield and on special teams. (The best ST player we have had in a long time.) He's just a whisker under 6'3", 195-200lbs, and very fast. Some say he will have to put on a few lbs for the NFL, but I've seen him with his shirt off and he is ripped. At his Pro-day, he ran between a 4.37 and 4.4, depending on who you talk to. He had a 41.5" verticle, but stumbled on the 3-cone and clocked a 7.6 !!!! They moved Marcus to S while they tried the Devin Hester experiment at CB. After that debacle, they moved Marcus back to CB for the most part and tried to feature Devin on the offense, in hopes of bringing him back for his senior season. He needs to develop his cover skills to play CB, but he just needs time and the right coach. He can also play nickel and Safety, but again, he needs time. As a ST'er, he's NFL ready, right out of the box. A couple months ago, he may have been a 6th rounder, but if someone with an already deep backfield is willing to develop him, or just needs a great ST player, he could go late 3rd round, early 4th. (There were over 100 NFL'ers watching him on his pro-day last month) He would be the steal of the draft anywhere in Rd 5. Hope this helps.

mcbee said:
1. Lawson DE NC State - good character, hard worker, phenom athlete, MVP of NC state defense, plays special teams, etc. Light at 6-5 245 but could prob. gain 5-10 pounds.

2. Maurice Drew RB - UCLA only 5-7 but almost 210 pounds. Very shifty.

3a. Greg Jennings WR Western Michigan. Another high character guy, returns punts, good hands.

3b. Chris GoCong - Cal Poly DE. Not just a small school player. 40 inch vertical at 265 pounds, very good agility, former QB. Very smart, high character. Can play any LB position eventually.

4a. Mike Hass/Jason Avant WR - Both high character possession type. Hass isn't supposed to last this long, but you never know. IT's good to be flexible as some good player will ALWAYS drop.

4b. Marcus Maxey CB Miami- not much starting experience but the effort and tools are there.

5. Pat Ross C BC. May be as talented as Koppen - BC centers tend to do well.

6a. D'Arrius Howard RB Arkansas. Good size, very good between tackles.
6b. Steve Fifita - DT Utah. Underrated but strong, good NT prospect.
6c. Keith Ellison - LB / Safety Oregon State. Big for safety but could maybe lose 10 pounds. May not be here.

7. Jeff King TE VT

I would be ecstatic....might pass on Ellison and take one of the kickers there (just to be sure).

King in the 7th is a steal.

Rene I hear what you are saying about Maxey. I didn't know he could play ST. If he's as good as you say on ST, then he'll be on a lot of team's radar.
The thing about being a CB for BB is not so much speed (see Otis, Law and Gay) as much as it is quickness and/or smarts(instincts). BB loves the quick twitch types that can play a physical game. I think if Maxey has shown BB that he has that type of quickness and he tackles as well as you say, then he is definitely on BB's board.

I like Gocong too, he seems to be a nice project pick.

Drew impressed me last year with not only his RB, but his returns. Did you see him at the combine? I thought someone had cloned Robert Newhouse! I have no idea how he buys pants, his waist has to be 18" smaller than his thighs.

I still think that the Pats are going to trade down in the first round and pick up Carpenter late in the round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes