PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ANNOUNCEMENT New Function Available - Revamped Mute Functions (Hide interactions between specific users, more)

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
I posted a thread a few days ago but had to pull it because there were some glitches due to the complexity of how it was done. So I ended up starting over and revamping this over the last couple of nights and it now works much better, along with being far more straightforward.

The mute functionality is now expanded, but it's now done with just one click of the original button.

Now, when you click the "Mute" button, you'll see the following where you can select a few options:
1677686917198.png

Here is how this works:

1) This post by (username) - Self-explanatory. You can hide a particular single post if you don't wish to see it.

2) Hide the entire interaction and future interactions between these two users in this thread.

So let's pretend you have an exchange like this below:
1677685825751.png

You can select this option and it would mute those two users for the remainder of the thread:
1677685893902.png
One quick note, when you hit the button, the single block you click will vanish but when you refresh the screen - they'll all be gone. As will any future interaction between the two within the thread.

3) (Username) in this thread - works like the previous iteration, where posts by that user will be hidden throughout the thread. One change is that it now also hides any posts containing replies to that user, making them completely invisible throughout the thread.

Just a quick FYI - this option supersedes any of the other two options, so it will override any other selections this user has been selected in.

These are controlled at the top just like previously, where you can select/deselect them:
1677686283928.png

I've tested it locally as well as on here in some complicated situations in various long threads and everything appears to be good, but let me know if any of you spot issues. In the meantime, this should solve a lot of problems and definitely gives a much better level of control to everyone moving forward :cool:

Last edited:
OMG, that second option is gold.
Yeah, still sort of can't believe I got it all working, but that second option definitely makes it a pretty useful feature. Probably one of the cooler things I've come up with and put together in the last couple of years so I'm definitely happy with how this came out :)

OMG, that second option is gold.
I kinda feel like watching some of the back and forth is ...
Deer Popcorn GIF

But after a while it turns into a ***********, that's when I'd like to hit this mute button. OK, enough guys

But after a while it turns into a ***********...

I'd have gone with pissing contest.

But you, you my friend are a more pleasant sort and envision a happier ending for everyone.

I'd have gone with pissing contest.

But you, you my friend are a more pleasant sort and envision a happier ending for everyone.
Yeah, pissing contest is pretty accurate too.

Yeah, pissing contest is pretty accurate too.
I was going to suggest to @Ian that he name it the "get a room" button. But a cartoon of a couple of guys pissing at each other would work, too.

I was going to suggest to @Ian that he name it the "get a room" button. But a cartoon of a couple of guys pissing at each other would work, too.
Like in the BB thread now?

Truly brilliant!

• ThankU!
Reactions: Ian
UPDATED: 3/4: Two additional options have been added.

USER FORUM MUTE OPTION:

You can now mute someone forum-wide and it will completely remove them. This will hide their posts and/or interactions in other threads. It works the exact same way it does in a normal thread mute. You just won't have to select it as you move around in each thread.

You can select them here:
1677985910955-png.50272

However, you will see threads they start, which will appear as normal. But if you click on the thread, they won't be there. You also won't see any of the posts replying to them, so it's basically like they won't exist no matter what thread you're in.

USER FORUM BLOCK OPTION:
(This not only hides the user's posts but also blocks them from seeing your posts.)

The next option is the ability to block a user using the "Forum Block." This not only completely removes that user across the board the way the Forum Mute does, but it also blocks them from being able to see your posts.

Not only that, but it will also hide all of your quoted replies - even to other users - from them and vice-versa, so it's literally like you won't exist to them, and they won't exist to you.

Still, as mentioned above, you will see threads they start, but nothing they post/reply to will be visible. Nor will they be able to read your posts or the replies by anyone else to you.

One other note - if you add any users to any type of forum-wide mute, another button will pop up in the upper right, which will allow you to see who you're blocking outside of a normal thread-mute:

1677986909114-png.50276

If you toggle that main button (the one outlined), it will also show/hide any posts by those users if there are any within the thread you're viewing.

Also, I made a small update where when you toggle this button (shown below, the red button with the user count), it now shows/hides any posts on the page you're viewing within that thread that could be hidden:

1677987128828-png.50278

Random thing I noticed - if I have someone on ignore, shouldn't their Reactions to my posts also be invisible? Not a huge deal, just a suggestion.

Reactions: Ian
i for one would like to thank the 5 or 6 guys who hang around and read my posts

excited woot woot GIF

Random thing I noticed - if I have someone on ignore, shouldn't their Reactions to my posts also be invisible? Not a huge deal, just a suggestion.
Sort of depends. When you have them on ignore, they're not blocked from seeing your posts. I believe if you have them on ignore, the reactions don't (or shouldn't) trigger an alert in your notifications.

If you have them muted, - unfortunately - the reactions do trigger a notification because I haven't quite figured out how to tie in the mute system (which I created outside the software) into the forum's own software. But I will try and look into that.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back