SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Chiefs
Sun
Dec 8th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Tough Loss
Sunday night's loss in Houston was tough, leaving the Patriots with questions heading into this week's showdown against the Chiefs

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

new computer advice.

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by captain insano, Nov 8, 2019.

1. SammyBlueCat

SammyBlueCat PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11,710
    I hope your new computer is

Cat like quick

There! I said it!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Tony2046

Tony2046 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +33,630
    Depends on which Cat Processing Unit he chooses. Probably should consider a large hard drive as well. At least 1 or 2 Tiger bytes.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ViperGTS

ViperGTS Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +8,372
    Build one. You can build one with very good parts for around 700. Plus its fun as hell.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nabwong

nabwong Vice President of Boycott NFL Club PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +13,184
    Don’t forget to budget for a joystick.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Galeb

Galeb Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7,818
    If you're going to build it yourself, I recommend you go to a Micro Center if you have one close. They usually have the best price on processors and give $50 off when combined with a mother board. Their customer service is great and they're local so you can return stuff.

Since budget is such a large concern, it might be worth shopping around other retailers for the best price on the rest of the components. That said, Micro Center has pretty competitive prices across the board.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ViperGTS

Ratings:
    +8,372
    Go to PC Parts Picker. There you can build a PC parts wise and it will show you prices from different distributers. Also, Newegg is a great place to buy parts.

Below is a screen Parts Picker shot of a PC I built a year or so ago for my Dad. Works great with no so far. Not how I would have built it and prices have come down but it is what he wanted. You can use this as a guide if you want. All this build is missing is a dedicated graphics card.

Edit: doesn’t show the 500GB Samsung Evo SSD I out in as well.

BBE7E605-E8B1-4038-A080-8EE8008ECA53.png

• Thank You Thank You x 1
  7. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! Goodell sucks PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22,715
    If it's just your mobo, replacing that will probably be much better on your budget than getting a new computer altogether. That is a bit of a nuisance since just about every component in the computer connects to the mobo--that's basically the point of it--but it's not too bad.

If you do find yourself doing an entirely new build, @mrscruff 's post has a bunch of great advice, I use pcpartpicker for all of my builds and it's never steered me wrong.

8. BradyFTW!

Ratings:
    +22,715
    That's a good build, definitely +1 on that. Personally I'm a little more inclined to recommend Ryzen processors purely on a price/performance basis, but you really can't go wrong either way.

I think PCPartPicker is having issues with the 850 Evo because it's now considered an older model and I'm not sure if it's still in production. It's been pretty much replaced by the 860 Evo, which IME is pretty much the same. The 500gb version of the 860 can be had pretty much anywhere for $80.

Or for people who may be a little more budget-conscious, I'm a big fan of the ADATA SU800, which is a quality SSD that doesn't cut any corners but can be had for a bit cheaper largely due to branding: https://www.rakuten.com/shop/adata/product/ASU800SS-512GT-C/. For anyone who's fine with paying a bit of a premium for Samsung drives, though, I do recommend. Hard drive failures absolutely suck, and Samsung makes just about the most reliable out there.

• Like Like x 1
  9. skspikex2

skspikex2 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +928
    Microcenter. If you live near one, go there for cpu+motherboard. Just brought Ryzen 2700x and asus rog x470 combo for $310. The catch is only in-person, no online.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BradyFTW!

Ratings:
    +22,715
    Another +1 on Micro Center, I love that place. I always buy my processors and GPUs there. Really the only downside is that there's only like 20 locations nationwide, but one of them is in Cambridge so I'd bet lots/most of the posters here are close to that one at least.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33,511
    Yeah..but I don't have a passport to travel to Cambridge...:(

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Vindicate

Vindicate Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +928
    Don't know if this is still a thing, but when Bitcoin mining went huge, graphics cards prices surged like crazy, as the algorithm used is best processed by the GPU. Bitminers were buying 5 at a time and burning them out within months in their rigs. As a result, prices skyrocketed.

Microcenter was a place that sold the cards at MSRP, no Bitcoin mark-up. BUT they keep track of how many you buy, so you can't abuse the system.

Tl;Dr: look for your GPU at a Microcenter if you're near one.

If this is no longer a thing, lemme know folks. I'm dead poor as I start my post grad life, so as much as I love love love building computers, I simply haven't been able to for awhile now. This could all be old info.

Edit - if I took the time to read every post, I would've recognized that this was already posted. But I guess mine has some of the story behind it so I'll leave the post :)

13. TheBostonStraggler

TheBostonStraggler Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +6,252
    If you can,wait. take a short break from gaming, use your phone or get someone's old ipad/tablet for a few weeks to 6 weeks for email, posting etc. Make do then look for a pre or after christmas sale. Those can be really sweet, REALLY sweet.
    Fyi, 700 is plenty for decent non gaming or even a just an on sale just outside lower end gaming. But it sounds like you really need that processing power, specific graphics card family, specific ram (serious gaming). So get a list of models you'd like, keep an eye out just about every day. Dealnews.com (and there are others) that will keep you up on best Internet deals and does pretty well telling you "this price is the lowest offered since its release". Keep in mind too some deals come with sweet rebates or gift cards that can make it even sweeter. Good luck (and you could go dedicated home server. It's a project but you can also turn it into a mutli use for streaming movies videos pics, local gp FTP etc).

• Thank You Thank You x 1
  14. BradyFTW!

Ratings:
    +22,715
    The crypto price surge has been over for a bit now, thankfully. You're now able to reliably get GPUs for MSRP again. A couple years ago, though, I was helping a friend price out a build and he couldn't find a GTX 1080 anywhere for under $900, it was nuts.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Vindicate

Vindicate Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +928
    Good to hear for multiple reasons - I want to build a comp soon and that definitely lowers the overall price. Also good to know that people aren't turning the earth into a kernel by mining too much.

I never got the mining craze. I heard the one story about the dude who wasn't careful, fell asleep in a room with 4 rigs going at once with no AC on a hot day. He woke up with heat stroke and suffered mild brain damage from how much his brain swelled. No thanks lol.

16. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33,511
    hey!! just got a great deal on not one but TWO bridges in Manhattan! Sorry....serious inquiries only..NO BITCOIN..cash only

17. neuronet

neuronet Homer Little PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6,356
    For DIY in addition to part picker, logical increments

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,640
    Yeah the market fell out of bitcoin farming a bit. It's much harder, takes longer to farm artificial coins. And now they sell dedicated farming machines that are significantly faster than gpus, the only catch is that there is no resale value to them unlike with GPUs that you could sell to other gamers looking for a cheap video card upgrade.

[​IMG]

If you look on ebay etc. you will find that you can find used 1-2 year old video cards that are fast for significantly less than retail price.

The interesting thing is the algo trading mentioned above earlier. Sounds like a legit way to make money electronically, except you program a computer to buy/sell stocks based on certain presets and variables that the user determines. Not sure how fast it works, but probably more profitable than bitcoin mining now?

So did OP finally build a new computer or are you looking for a prebuilt one? I mean you could order from HP/Gateway/Dell/Alienware etc. but you are paying a premium for their service and warranty. You won't get quite as loaded a machine with the same bang/buck value as one you build yourself. Plus it's fun. You can always learn how to do it by watching youtube.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ViperGTS

Ratings:
    +8,372
    Oh and if you want a windows key, go to eBay. Pay 5 bucks or less and you have Windows. Little known fact is the keys are always transferable and companies lose their rights to them if they junk their computers etc.

20. captain insano

captain insano Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4,330
    Update. Don't ever take your computer to best buy to be diagnosed. They told me I needed a new mother board. I took it to another place. They said all it needed was a new game card. I'm so glad I held off and didn't buy a new one.