Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: at Chiefs
Pick Results: NE: 32.3% at KC: 67.7%
Sun
Oct 4th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

captain insano

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
i need help. my gaming computer sh!t the bed. the mother board is no more. ive been posting from the local library. any suggestions would be appreciated. my price range is no more than 700 big ones.

Zuma

Practice Squad Phenom
PatsFans.com Supporter
I've used this one quit a bit...although the graphics may be a bit sluggish depending on your requirements...

This was the Odyssey 2 football game...I would say most of my brilliant expertise / advise is based on this game...

Technical specifications
  • CPU
  • Memory:
  • Video:
    • Intel 8244 (NTSC) or 8245 (PAL) custom IC
    • 160×200 resolution (NTSC)
    • 16-color fixed palette; sprites may only use 8 of these colors
    • 4 8×8 single-color user-defined sprites; each sprite's color may be set independently
    • 12 8×8 single-color characters; must be one of the 64 shapes built into the ROM BIOS; can be freely positioned like sprites, but cannot overlap each other; each character's color may be set independently
    • 4 quad characters; groups of four characters displayed in a row
    • 9×8 background grid; dots, lines, or solid blocks
  • Audio:
    • Intel 8244/8245 custom IC
    • mono
    • 24-bit shift register, clockable at 2 frequencies
    • noise generator
    • NOTE: There is only one 8244/8245 chip in the system, which performs both audio and video functions.
  • Input:
    • Two 8-way, one-button, digital joysticks. In the first production runs of the Magnavox Odyssey and the Philips 7000, these were removable and replaceable; in later models, they were permanently attached to the console.
    • QWERTY-layout membrane keyboard
  • Output:
  • Media:
    • ROM cartridges, typically 2 KB, 4 KB, or 8 KB in size.

Last edited:

holyredeemer

In the Starting Line-Up
i need help. my gaming computer sh!t the bed. the mother board is no more. ive been posting from the local library. any suggestions would be appreciated. my price range is no more than 700 big ones.
What type of games do you play and how far do you like to push the graphics settings?

Jlaff

Early Bird Specials
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
My first question would be why you aren't posting from your smart phone.

If you're looking for something new from the ground up for gaming, I'd go AMD Ryzen, maybe a generation or two back. For the GPU, probably an AMD RX 580, which will get you good frame rates at 1080p, and some decent 1440p fps in certain games.

Personally, I think life is too short to not be gaming at the highest possible settings. I have an RTX 2080 with other comparable components. But then, that GPU alone would eat up all your budget.

Bill Lee

What, me worry?
PatsFans.com Supporter
My first question would be why you aren't posting from your smart phone.

If you're looking for something new from the ground up for gaming, I'd go AMD Ryzen, maybe a generation or two back. For the GPU, probably an AMD RX 580, which will get you good frame rates at 1080p, and some decent 1440p fps in certain games.

Personally, I think life is too short to not be gaming at the highest possible settings. I have an RTX 2080 with other comparable components. But then, that GPU alone would eat up all your budget.
Where do you recommend getting cases, PS, mobo, etc these days?

FortressX

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Black Friday comes soon and I hope you get a good deal by then

I must by one soon because windows 7 will not update after Jan 2020

Jlaff

Early Bird Specials
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Where do you recommend getting cases, PS, mobo, etc these days?
In the US I think newegg.com usually has some of the best prices.

I usually like to go into a brick and mortar store for things though, so I go to a place called Memory Express in Canada, which also has great prices and price beat, so I am often getting price beats on Newegg. Sometimes I find it helpful to get that in store advice as well.

Also, further to my last post, PC Gamer often has some decent guides on budget, mid-range, and high end PC build - Budget gaming PC build guide 2019: create a cheap gaming PC | PC Gamer

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
That depends on what components you have that are still usable. If you need a whole system rebuild, I can advise you on good parts to fit your needs. If you are willing to go used you can save a lot of money.

But if you want brand new, let's see what we can do for $700. These prices are all found on newegg. If you are an amazon purchaser you can probably find comparable prices for the components.

CPU: Ryzen 3 1200 4 core cpu $59.99
Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P $149.99
Memory: Gskill 16GB DDR4 3200 mhz RAM $56.99
Power Supply: Seasonic Focus GX-550 Gold Fully Modular $90.99
Case: CORSAIR Carbide Series 175R RGB $69.99
Graphics Card: ASRock Phantom Gaming X Radeon RX 580 $169.99
Boot SSD: HP EX900 M.2 500GB PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 2100 MB/S $55.99
Storage HD: Hitachi Ultrastar A7K2000 2TB HUA722020ALA330 OEM $38.19

Total Price: $692

You might have to throw a couple of bucks in extra for a sata cable since oem hard drive likely does not come with one, or just reuse one of your old sata cables.
You'll have a brand new machine that can run most games at 1080P with no problem in your budget.

The nice thing about this build is that you can easily upgrade it in the future when you get more cash. The power supply and motherboard are ready to take a more powerful generation 3 Ryzen chip or even a more powerful graphics card down the road if you ever feel you want an extra FPS boost.

The latest motherboards such as the x570 accept NVME SSDs which will give you the fastest boot up times. You will be pleasantly surprised to see Windows boot up in under 6 seconds if coming from an older computer system. The x570 will also accept the newest AMD CPUs without needing a bios flash update.

Any questions about the components or build, just ask!

PS When you are searching on Newegg, use the lowest price sort by option if you are not seeing the component listed.

Last edited:

StairwayToSe7en

On the Game Day Roster
I don't game much anymore, only occasionally, but this is the PC I've got which I use mostly for work:

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX, 16 core and 32 threads
GeForce RTX 2080Ti
64 GB RAM

As you can imagine, it's an absolute beast.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
2080 TI retail price $1200. Yes it should be a beast. The video card alone is the price of an entire midrange system. The Threadripper however is not a gamer CPU but it will absolutely shred productivity applications.

A gamer would be recommended to go for an 8 core 3700x (msrp $329) or 12 core 3900x (msrp $499) instead. These consumer oriented CPUs will provide better raw gaming performance in terms of FPS and will also save nearly $1200 for the wallet, which ironically is just enough to buy a new 2080Ti.

PS I'm not even sure how you got that build approved for work, what is it that you do? Video editing?

Bill Lee

What, me worry?
PatsFans.com Supporter
My computers are for work (software development) or hobby not gaming. When I've built a computer in the past, I find the best thing to do is read up on what the gaming community is doing, start with a low end gaming rig but drop the high end GPU and make some minor tweaks such as putting memory into each available bank to increase memory bandwidth / transactions per second. These days NVMe storage is a no brainer.

StairwayToSe7en

On the Game Day Roster
2080 TI retail price $1200. Yes it should be a beast. The video card alone is the price of an entire midrange system. The Threadripper however is not a gamer CPU but it will absolutely shred productivity applications.

A gamer would be recommended to go for an 8 core 3700x (msrp $329) or 12 core 3900x (msrp $499) instead. These consumer oriented CPUs will provide better raw gaming performance in terms of FPS and will also save nearly $1200 for the wallet, which ironically is just enough to buy a new 2080Ti.

PS I'm not even sure how you got that build approved for work, what is it that you do? Video editing?
Algo trading. I've been working from home for about a year. The 2080Ti is perfect for GPU accelerated computing, especially with regards to ML.

mrscruff

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Love this site:
Pick parts. Build your PC. Compare and share.

For a $700 budget try the following but feel free to tinker to your heart's content:
System Builder

I used the UK site and was going to build a similar budget PC for my son (although ultimately decided not to), but the same parts are not available at the best prices inthe US.

I am assuming you do not need monitor/keyboards/peripherals etc.
The Geforce GTX 1660 Super 6GB is close to the best value Graphics according to https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html. It also has less power consumption than some of the other cards so will can save on the PSU requirements.

Similarly the AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor gives best bang for the buck: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_value_available.html. The stock cooler should be sufficient.

Memory Bandwidth can really boost the Ryzen 5 so I chose DDR4 - 3200MHz Dual Channel (Pairfed 2 x 8GB)

The B450 Chipset Motherboard has optimisation for two drives so I am using an SSD for the System Drive and a 1TB for data storage.

The case is just a placeholder and can be changed to suit your needs.

The PSU is a 80+ gold and should be sufficient for the setup.