PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: What Would the Team Look Like if the Patriots Had Drafted …?, Morse’s Morsels

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
What Would the Team Look Like if the Patriots Had Drafted …?, Morse’s Morsels
Mark Morse
With the trade of N’keal Harry and the resulting disaster of the 2019 draft, I thought it would be a fun exercise to look back and see the players I wanted the team to take based on the actual draft results.

The post What Would the Team Look Like if the Patriots Had Drafted …?, Morse’s Morsels appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

What Would the Team Look Like if the Patriots Had Drafted Giovanni Carmazzi ... ?

Well, since you brought it up...

1-32: AJ Brown... He & Deebo were 1A & 1B with me... Metcalf was a clear #3 in the 2nd round; Harry, Isabella & McLaurin were in the next group behind him later in the same round...

2-56: I would Not have made the trade-up to 45 with the Rams; I instead would've stood pat at 56 and, wearing my Homie glasses, taken BC DLman Zach Allen, who would've been a Much, MUCH better version of a running-down DE/passing-down DT than the comically over-paid Dee Wise is.

3-77: I'll throw Billy, Nicky & Nike a bone and take SloJoe Willies here, maybe... Betcha he still woulda been available too... If not then oh well there were still 3rd-round-worthy DBs such as Justin Layne, Julian Love, David Long, Chauncey the Gardner-Johnson & Jamel Dean on the board.

3-87: While Damien the Omen Harris provided good value at this spot, I would not have taken him here anyway after spending a 1st-round asset on a RB just one year earlier, especially if that 1st-round RB had been Nick Chubb, as it should've been... We needed a TE more than we needed another RB, and I wanted Dawson Knox, especially after Kahale Warring had been taken just one pick earlier.

3-97: Since the earlier trade-up never happened, then this trade - or Any other trade with the Rams - cannot happen either; therefore with this pick I would've done the same as the Rams did with it and selected OT Bobby Evans, who I thought was the best available at that position after Max Sharping had been taken by Houston late in the 2nd round... Trent Brown had already left as a FA, and Marcus Cannon's health was always iffy anyway, so the need was there.

3-101: Haven't yet drafted a Pass-Rusher, which we've also needed here since Chris Long's departure after 2016 (and Still do), so here comes... Maxx Crosby, who I thought was the best available there after Wino & the late Jaylen Ferguson were taken earlier in the round... He would've been the Yin here to Zach Allen's Yang.

4-118: Having covered WR, DL, CB, TE, OT & DE, I would've then felt comfortable double-dipping on positions, starting with finding a Mr Inside to go with AJ Brown's Mr Outside... I didn't feel before the draft that Hunter Renfrow was worthy of a Day 2 pick; but on Day 3, after I've already taken one of the early studs? Heck yeah!

4-134: I actually would've taken LB Mack Wilson here... I liked his athleticism for the position, especially after seeing Bill choose JaWrong Bentley the year earlier, and also his Alabama pedigree.

5-162: I would NOT have made that Stupid trade-up to 159 for little lord Byron the Coward... I would've stood pat at 162, kept 239 and double-dipped again, this time in the defensive backfield with savvy if unspectacular UTexas CB Kris Boyd.

Since I never acquired 167 from the Rams, then I don't have 163 either... But I do keep 243 (from Cleveland) & 246.

6-204: If Bill hadn't foolishly thrown away this pick two years earlier for Johnny Malcolm Butler Would've Made the Tackle Badmostly, then he could've used it for Jake Bailey, but no earlier: STs-Only dudes should Never be drafted earlier than the 6th round.

7-239: Frodo... the Entire World knows this is where he deserved to be taken, not at 118th ****ing overall;
- 243: the Coward... Ditto at 159th;
- 246: Kansas State RB Alex Barnes;
- 252: either Alabama CB Saivion Smith or one of OLmen Mitch Hyatt, Tyler Jones or Beau Benzschewal.

2020 & 2021 to follow...

Another thing to consider. Had the Pats taken Brown and Samuel, they keep their 2nd round pick they flushed down the toilet for Sanu.

Definitely had AJ Brown mocked to us. Do admit, wasn’t a fan of Deebo coming out of college though. Max Crosby was a fan favorite on the draft forums around the 5th.

Well, since you brought it up...

1-32: AJ Brown... He & Deebo were 1A & 1B with me... Metcalf was a clear #3 in the 2nd round; Harry, Isabella & McLaurin were in the next group behind him later in the same round...

2-56: I would Not have made the trade-up to 45 with the Rams; I instead would've stood pat at 56 and, wearing my Homie glasses, taken BC DLman Zach Allen, who would've been a Much, MUCH better version of a running-down DE/passing-down DT than the comically over-paid Dee Wise is.

3-77: I'll throw Billy, Nicky & Nike a bone and take SloJoe Willies here, maybe... Betcha he still woulda been available too... If not then oh well there were still 3rd-round-worthy DBs such as Justin Layne, Julian Love, David Long, Chauncey the Gardner-Johnson & Jamel Dean on the board.

3-87: While Damien the Omen Harris provided good value at this spot, I would not have taken him here anyway after spending a 1st-round asset on a RB just one year earlier, especially if that 1st-round RB had been Nick Chubb, as it should've been... We needed a TE more than we needed another RB, and I wanted Dawson Knox, especially after Kahale Warring had been taken just one pick earlier.

3-97: Since the earlier trade-up never happened, then this trade - or Any other trade with the Rams - cannot happen either; therefore with this pick I would've done the same as the Rams did with it and selected OT Bobby Evans, who I thought was the best available at that position after Max Sharping had been taken by Houston late in the 2nd round... Trent Brown had already left as a FA, and Marcus Cannon's health was always iffy anyway, so the need was there.

3-101: Haven't yet drafted a Pass-Rusher, which we've also needed here since Chris Long's departure after 2016 (and Still do), so here comes... Maxx Crosby, who I thought was the best available there after Wino & the late Jaylen Ferguson were taken earlier in the round... He would've been the Yin here to Zach Allen's Yang.

4-118: Having covered WR, DL, CB, TE, OT & DE, I would've then felt comfortable double-dipping on positions, starting with finding a Mr Inside to go with AJ Brown's Mr Outside... I didn't feel before the draft that Hunter Renfrow was worthy of a Day 2 pick; but on Day 3, after I've already taken one of the early studs? Heck yeah!

4-134: I actually would've taken LB Mack Wilson here... I liked his athleticism for the position, especially after seeing Bill choose JaWrong Bentley the year earlier, and also his Alabama pedigree.

5-162: I would NOT have made that Stupid trade-up to 159 for little lord Byron the Coward... I would've stood pat at 162, kept 239 and double-dipped again, this time in the defensive backfield with savvy if unspectacular UTexas CB Kris Boyd.

Since I never acquired 167 from the Rams, then I don't have 163 either... But I do keep 243 (from Cleveland) & 246.

6-204: If Bill hadn't foolishly thrown away this pick two years earlier for Johnny Malcolm Butler Would've Made the Tackle Badmostly, then he could've used it for Jake Bailey, but no earlier: STs-Only dudes should Never be drafted earlier than the 6th round.

7-239: Frodo... the Entire World knows this is where he deserved to be taken, not at 118th ****ing overall;
- 243: the Coward... Ditto at 159th;
- 246: Kansas State RB Alex Barnes;
- 252: either Alabama CB Saivion Smith or one of OLmen Mitch Hyatt, Tyler Jones or Beau Benzschewal.

2020 & 2021 to follow...
after gratuitously patting yourself on the back for a half a page, I can't get over why multiple NFL teams aren't knocking at your door to be their personnel czar. I can't say for sure about your foresight, but your 20-20 HINDSIGHT is spot on. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I don't understand how you can mock the guy has been responsible for the most successful football operation EVER in NFL history, when EVERYTHING the league has done over the years punishes success and rewards failure. Our worst year in 22 seasons (7-9) is a record that teams like the Lions aspire to.

Sure you can question any number of individual picks over the year. But YOUR derisive tone isn't mere criticism, its just being mean. And not even mean, its a snarky, "I'm smarter than he is.....and YOU" kind of mean

You guys are going to get killed by the "would've, should've, could've" crowd seeing as this is years later. You should back this up with some receipts from the time if you have any. Again not being a ****k but a lot will bring up hindsight. This is also why i always say everyone should do that during draft time to avoid any confusion. Just a simple 1 - 10 ranking of something.

I know WR is a big theme in this exercise so here's some guys no ones heard of save Addison that will be on everyone's radar next year.
Dontayvion Wicks, Jordan Addison, Tyler Harrell (Bama Transfer with silly speed almost avg 30 per clip at Louisville - 18/523/6 for 29.1 per rec lol)

Definitely had AJ Brown mocked to us. Do admit, wasn’t a fan of Deebo coming out of college though. Max Crosby was a fan favorite on the draft forums around the 5th.

Deebo's injury history at South Carolina is the reason he was 1B for me and not 1A.

You guys are going to get killed by the "would've, should've, could've" crowd seeing as this is years later. You should back this up with some receipts from the time if you have any. Again not being a ****k but a lot will bring up hindsight. This is also why i always say everyone should do that during draft time to avoid any confusion. Just a simple 1 - 10 ranking of something.

I know WR is a big theme in this exercise so here's some guys no ones heard of save Addison that will be on everyone's radar next year.
Dontayvion Wicks, Jordan Addison, Tyler Harrell (Bama Transfer with silly speed almost avg 30 per clip at Louisville - 18/523/6 for 29.1 per rec lol)
You know what I predicted because I used your rankings to make the picks! I have posted mock drafts here for the last three seasons. I admit I was wrong about Barmore and that AJ Brown was a hindsight pick. I even liked the Dalton Keene selection at the time. Overall my point is that mistakes made one year affect how the Patriots build their team and got to the point they are right now.

But what would the team look like if they actually had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker? :)

You know what I predicted because I used your rankings to make the picks! I have posted mock drafts here for the last three seasons. I admit I was wrong about Barmore and that AJ Brown was a hindsight pick. I even liked the Dalton Keene selection at the time. Overall my point is that mistakes made one year affect how the Patriots build their team and got to the point they are right now.
Ahhh gotcha

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back