PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Patriots 2021 Draft Profile, QB Kyle Trask, Florida

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots 2021 Draft Profile, QB Kyle Trask, Florida
Steve Balestrieri
If the Patriots don't move up into the top 10, Trask may not be the player that fans aren’t clamoring for but could be their choice

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

I'd be willing to bet that the Steelers take him earlier than expected, maybe even at #24. I wouldn't rule out a trade-up in Round 2.

He probably is not in the cards for the Pats, despite the scheme fit.

As a Gators fan, I'm pretty sure I've seen every collegiate snap Kyle Trask has ever taken. I have a few thoughts.

- What you need to remember about Trask is that he hasn't actually played a lot. He wasn't a starter in High School - he sat behind UMiami's D'Eriq King. In the last eight years, he's been a starting QB for a little over a year and a half. Florida offered him based on what they saw from him at a summer camp, not in a game.

- The biggest issue that his lack of experience brings up is consistency. Most of the time, his mechanics are pretty solid, and he demonstrates excellent accuracy and touch. Occasionally, his footwork is a mess and he misses a fairly easy throw. Most of the time, he makes pretty good reads. Occasionally, he'll make a read that leaves you shaking your head wondering what he saw on the play. He will get fooled by opposing defenses early in his career.

- He doesn't have a cannon, but I think he's got enough arm to get by in the NFL. He does have some accuracy issues when he really tries to muscle a ball into a tight space, as the ball tends to sail high.

- Tough kid, and his teammates really like him. Not particularly mobile, although he does surprisingly well at times on designed QB runs. Tends to stand in one place in the pocket.

- At the end of the day, it's tough to ignore the kinds of numbers he put up against premium competition. He nearly went throw-for-throw with Mac Jones in the SEC Championship Game, and he didn't have nearly as much to work with as Jones did. Yes, he played with some really good skill players. But he also played behind a sub-par offensive line and without much of a running game to speak of.

- I think he'll get drafted at some point on Day Two. My concern is that he needs to play. And whoever drafts him is going to need to be patient, because he's still learning how to play quarterback. You're going to have to be OK with him making mistakes in real NFL games. There's upside, but you might not see it for a while.

As a Gators fan, I'm pretty sure I've seen every collegiate snap Kyle Trask has ever taken. I have a few thoughts.

- What you need to remember about Trask is that he hasn't actually played a lot. He wasn't a starter in High School - he sat behind UMiami's D'Eriq King. In the last eight years, he's been a starting QB for a little over a year and a half. Florida offered him based on what they saw from him at a summer camp, not in a game.

- The biggest issue that his lack of experience brings up is consistency. Most of the time, his mechanics are pretty solid, and he demonstrates excellent accuracy and touch. Occasionally, his footwork is a mess and he misses a fairly easy throw. Most of the time, he makes pretty good reads. Occasionally, he'll make a read that leaves you shaking your head wondering what he saw on the play. He will get fooled by opposing defenses early in his career.

- He doesn't have a cannon, but I think he's got enough arm to get by in the NFL. He does have some accuracy issues when he really tries to muscle a ball into a tight space, as the ball tends to sail high.

- Tough kid, and his teammates really like him. Not particularly mobile, although he does surprisingly well at times on designed QB runs. Tends to stand in one place in the pocket.

- At the end of the day, it's tough to ignore the kinds of numbers he put up against premium competition. He nearly went throw-for-throw with Mac Jones in the SEC Championship Game, and he didn't have nearly as much to work with as Jones did. Yes, he played with some really good skill players. But he also played behind a sub-par offensive line and without much of a running game to speak of.

- I think he'll get drafted at some point on Day Two. My concern is that he needs to play. And whoever drafts him is going to need to be patient, because he's still learning how to play quarterback. You're going to have to be OK with him making mistakes in real NFL games. There's upside, but you might not see it for a while.
This fair and balanced. If he is around in the fourth round and we go for him, does that mean Stid is done done? Or can Cam be cut if he does not show progress in TC?

Patriots 2021 Draft Profile, QB Kyle Trask, Florida
Steve Balestrieri
If the Patriots don't move up into the top 10, Trask may not be the player that fans aren’t clamoring for but could be their choice

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)
Not the strongest arm....has had several injuries....very sharp, makes good decisions and reads...

Saw some of the Florida Pro Day on NFL Network. Toney is freakishly athletic. I saw him throw a pass from his knees and it looked like it traveled 50 yards in the air. It would be interesting if BB drafted a QB/WR combo from the same team . Trask/Toney or Mills/Fehoko perhaps. An Alabama combo is out of the question since all the candidates are first round caliber. Having a WR he knows might help a rookie QB to adjust better in the NFL. I remember Plunkett and Vataha years ago. Too bad the O line was a piece of swiss cheese.

Saw some of the Florida Pro Day on NFL Network. Toney is freakishly athletic. I saw him throw a pass from his knees and it looked like it traveled 50 yards in the air. It would be interesting if BB drafted a QB/WR combo from the same team . Trask/Toney or Mills/Fehoko perhaps. An Alabama combo is out of the question since all the candidates are first round caliber. Having a WR he knows might help a rookie QB to adjust better in the NFL. I remember Plunkett and Vataha years ago. Too bad the O line was a piece of swiss cheese.

Yeah earlier in the draft process I was envisioning a Zach Wilson/Dax Milne combo, for the same reasons you gave...I can forget about that one now...

Cousin,
I like you brand of thinking. Plunkett and Vataha had success as rookies on the Patriots when the Pats were awful. Familiarity is just common sense.
I think Trask will wind up being taken at the end of Round one. Gasp!!!!!!!.......Why? 5 years and you have Washington, Chicago , the Saints and even the Steelers in the market for a QB. The Saints and Washington prefer more mobility but the Bears and Steelers are different. The Bears just need a QB to quell the threats for GM Pace's head and the Steelers are used to monster QBs that stand in the pocket like Big Ben.
If you are a stats guy, Trask's are better in some categories than the "top five".

Why is he under the radar? We had a guy for 20 years than was the same size. Couldn't run worth a crap. Arm was rated as middling. Split time at QB even.
Compare "pocket passer" college stats.
Completions: Brady =61.9%> Trask=67.9%
TDs: Brady=39> Trask=69
INTs: Brady=17> Trask=15
Games started: Brady=23> Trask+24
Total yards: Brady=4,773> Trask=7,386
QB rating: Brady=134.9> Trask=168.5
Both Run like crap, but rushing TDs: Brady= 3> Trask=8

What pocket passer won the Super Bowl last year?

Brady's college receivers: David Terrell, Tai Streets and Giovanni Toccagino. Terrell was a top ten first round Draft
pick. Streets was Drafted by the 49ers and had a 6 year reasonably successful NFL career. He was Drafted in the 6th Round.......ironically 28 slots in front of TB12. He had one more year in the Pros than Terrell had.

Pitts and Toney are not chopped liver.
If we don't have to trade down and still get a QB like a Trask or Davis Mills, who is to say they are not better than.......... yet another Ohio State QB who have never made an impact in the NFL or better than the kid Lance who has very little tape. Watch the Florida and Alabama tape and tell me Trask is not a competitor.

Then again at 15, if Jones, Fields or Lance are available, the percentages and concensus require you to take one of them them and not look back. They won't be there.

So I like the theory of Teaming QB picks with their college WR. So if we Draft Toney at #15, people would not gasp or say it is a stretch. Now trade up in the lower end of the first Round. My target would be the Saints who have holes to fill and pick up Trask there at say #28. We are not going to have 10 Draft picks make this squad anyway. so spend them.
This would fill our WR and QB needs.

Plan B would be QB Mills and WR Simi Fehoko. Take your blue chipper at #15. Take Mils at #46 and Fehoko at #96. Fehoko is another under the radar big fast WR. Looks like Claypoole. He's moved into the 3rd round conversation with 4.40 speed at 6'4" 227 lbs. Watch his tape.

Thoughts?
DW Toys

P.S. Jones has 24 non mop up starts and a lower 56 TDs with 6,126 yards. He beats Trask with 74.3 completion average. Now the shocker. Tom Brady had more rushing TDs 3 versus Jones 2. By the way, Nagee Harris had 43 reception out of the backfield. That will help your completions via James White. Just sayin'
Fields had a 68.4 completions percentage and 69 TDs.
Lance had a 65.4% completion percentage and we'll give him an incomplete on TD throws
Lawrence had a 66.6% completion stat.

Looks like Trask is the second most accurate passer............raise your hand if you are shocked.

Last edited:
not insane, just negligent
Not saying Trask could be a 2nd or 3rd, Just saying there is crap for QBs coming in 2022. If you want to fill a spot, you might have to go up to the first. Guarantee you Cousins, he will be Drafted much higher than Round 3.

Now that the 49ers have put a price out for Jimmie G you have to look at the Panthers and Bears and see if they are willing to splurge. It would help us to be in a better position perhaps one of the top five QBs if the Panthers pull the trigger. The Bears do not have the CAP. The Panthers do.

I think the only way Bill bites for our #46 is if he is allowed to restructure Jimmie G's deal prior to trade like he did with Trent Brown.. So your options are Minshew (If Meyer let's him go) and perhaps Alex Smith, if you want to replace Cam if the Draft guys are not there for us.

Now Bill could get creative and swap #15 for #43 and Jimmie G from the 49ers.

DW Toys

Looking at the stats and the tape and after watching his workout, what are you guys seeing about Trask I am missing? Help me.

Trask might be good, he seems to have a good arm and is accurate. If everything upstairs works well he could easily do very well in the NFL. It's usually the stuff upstairs and that killer instinct that make a great QB. Physical stuff is usually secondary as long as some baselines are met. TB has a strong arm and is accurate. Everything else he does with his brain and drive.

Trask might be good, he seems to have a good arm and is accurate. If everything upstairs works well he could easily do very well in the NFL. It's usually the stuff upstairs and that killer instinct that make a great QB. Physical stuff is usually secondary as long as some baselines are met. TB has a strong arm and is accurate. Everything else he does with his brain and drive.
Very true Cousin.
DW Toys

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down