SOURCE:NBC Sports Boston

SOURCE:Providence Journal

SOURCE:Boston Herald

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Need help, cut the cord...

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by DarrylS, Sep 21, 2019.

1. TB_Helmet

TB_Helmet In the Starting Line-Up Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +8,631
    How do you get Sunday Ticket without DirecTV? We'll be cutting the cord after this season is over. I'm fine with paying the $300 for Sunday Ticket but don't want the DirecTV subscription that comes with it. (Yes I know I'm replying to a three month old post :))

2. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +1,407
    I get Sunday Ticket on my laptop. You can get it on your phone. I do not have Direct TV (Google Sunday ticket).

3. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +54,746
    Read the post again lol. It’s still through DirecTV though.

4. TB_Helmet

Ratings:
    +8,631
    I thought you had to have DirecTV as your TV provider to get Sunday Ticket. Guess not...and that's ****ing awesome!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. scout

Ratings:
    +1,407
    No, actually I was barred from Direct TV (moved) and they would not let give me access. Thus, I only did Sunday Ticket on my laptop.

6. TB_Helmet

Ratings:
    +8,631
    Direct TV is awful. We had Comcast which wasn't bad, but switched to DirecTV for Sunday Ticket a couple years ago. What a nightmare. Their menus are terrible and don't make any sense. It's impossible to watch anything on demand, it takes 10 minutes to navigate to what you want to watch and half the time it doesn't work. And may God have mercy on you if you ever have to call their customer support team.

In the spirit of the OP, that's why we're cutting the cord. I take some satisfaction in the fact that they are literally losing millions of subscribers per month in 2019, if news reports are to be believed. They deserve it.

We are looking at YouTube TV as a replacement with subs to HBO and Disney+, that should cover most of our entertainment needs (which aren't high given we only really have time to follow a few TV shows a year since we have a 2-year old).

7. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +9,173
    I wouldn't blow the money on Direct TV/Sunday Ticket. I DID blow money on NFL Gamepass and a VPN subscription, which comes out to around $50 a month total for the season. I can live with that. I get every NFL game and have the option to watch from the beginning if I miss the start of a game. I've watched Pats games in London, the UAE, Germany, you name it...if I have WiFi, I have the Pats. That's what I like about the flexibility of the online platforms.

8. scout

Ratings:
    +1,407
    Does the NFL Gamepass play blacked out games? Also, I watch the Patriots on a network games when they are blacked out and the network will switch games if the Patriots are blowing the other team out (which was usually the case).

9. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +9,173
    Yep. It'll play blacked out games, as long as you use the VPN. They don't punish internationally for blackouts.

10. fightingirish595

fightingirish595 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4,428
    Just cut the cord with comcast except for internet which is still an absurd price. going to have to look at another isp.

11. Bill Lee

Bill Lee What, me worry? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6,290
    I did the 'trial period' on all the major services.

I thought Hulu was the best-of-breed of the broadcast TV services, better than YouTube TV. The interface was pretty good at helping you find stuff you want to watch. I was surprised YTV wasn't better.

I was pissed off at how Hulu still make you wait through commercials even after paying the extra $2/mo to get "less commercials". That aspect of the service is total fraud.

Now that I know they are bundling Hulu with Disney+, that might be a compelling package, especially at $13/month even with all the damn commercials, given how deep Disney's back catalog is.

The only thing I kept was YouTube Premium, i.e. Y2B without commercials, no broadcast TV stuff. Am getting pissed that content providers are inserting "sponsors" into their content, have unsub'd from a few channels just for doing that.

Why can't I get 100% commercial free experience? My time is worth far more than whatever fraction of a penny they get for showing me a commercial. Can't I just pay a few pennies more each month?

12. fnordcircle

fnordcircle The poster who James White said inspires him. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +31,863
    $180 a year for Gamepass, as I recall.

I use ExpressVPN but there are some deals on lifetime VPNs on the CNN store with good reviews for $40 flat. Obviously there are concerns with lifetime deals but the $40 I bought (I swear it was $40 might have been $80) only needs to be good for like a year and I've made my money back.

The extra benefit of a VPN is that I use it to add media to my home theater PC anyways. ExpressVPN is a very nice product, I'm sure there are better but it works and it's like $10 a month so I've been using it w/o issue. Download and streaming speeds are well within the range I'd call acceptable. So for me I'm paying roughly $15 a month for access to every single NFL preseason, regular season and post season game.

There's cheaper ways but they are either limiting me to just games being broadcast in New England and no Redzone (YoutubeTV) or not reliable. If you're braver than me or don't mind the occasional hiccup you can forgo everything and just use Reddit NFL Streams.

But I don't futz around when it comes to the things that are important to me so I pay for Gamepass and I'm very happy with it.

• Useful Useful x 1