SOURCE:Boston Sports Journal

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Browns
Sun
Oct 27th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Completely Spooked
The Patriots absolutely spooked Sam Darnold Monday night as they improved to 7-0 on the season.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Need help, cut the cord...

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by DarrylS, Sep 21, 2019.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +11,173
    ---
    Tired of renting modems and routers and paying exorbitant prices for Cable TV.. so I got a Fire TV Recast and returned all my crap into the Cable Co. I kept the internet service..

FYI Amazon Prime will be showing Thursday Nite Football starting this week I believe.

Everything is pretty good and figuring out more and more daily.. it is a huge transition for me who has one foot in the analog world and the other in the digital world.

The problem I have is that the Digital TV antenna, I am on my third, and this one works best even if it is temperamental.. this antenna and the previous 2, even though they are set on close stations, wants to pick up the Boston Stations.. which often are difficult to see and a lot of buffering takes place.

I live in RI and am 11 miles from the transmitters for Fox, CBS and NBC.. my antenna's always want to go 40+ miles away and pick up the Boston Channels... I can after time find the RI channels, but that is a challenge and usually happens by accident.

Does anyone know of a reliable amplified antenna?? My current one is better by mediocre:

FYI I am saving over $100 per month, already had Netflix and Amazon Prime... picked up Philo(# 20.00 per month) and Hulu for ($5.99 per month) so my net savings are about $75.00 per month and no paying rentals for their apparatus..

Any suggestions welcome...

2. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +49,899
    ---
    My Hulu Live, which includes my local channels and HBO, is around $40 per month. My internet through AT&T is $50. I get every channel I want/need and am still saving over $100 a month on Comcast. I only miss some parts of cable and they’re negligible at best (such as the “info” button to get info about what I’m watching).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  3. mosslost

mosslost Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +7,253
    ---
    I want to be able to see ALL the NFL games but do not have Direct TV. I think Comcast should come up with a package for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +49,899
    ---
    Fire stick, Sunday Ticket app, pay. Now you have all of them. If you’re hard up for extra cash, Reddit has the free streams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +8,970
    ---
    This is pretty much what I do when I'm in the states. Comcast has my parents bent over to the tune of $220 a month and, for what they get, I don't see the value.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Pat the Pats Fan

Pat the Pats Fan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,107
    ---
    I had Directv for years, mainly for Sunday ticket. Their service was lacking and customer support non existent. Believe it or not, local cable stops at the top of my street, and they won’t come down the street to service 8 houses. My only option is over the air and dsl internet. Been this way for 9 months and can’t complain. Half of pats games are broadcast in my area(North Carolina) every year, so I just need to cover the others. Reddit streams will be tested this weekend.
    Daryl, on your question, I have found I need to regularly auto program my tv weekly to pick up the stations available to me. And they changed recently. Good luck, and thanks for the heads up on Thursday football

7. Pat the Pats Fan

Pat the Pats Fan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,107
    ---
    I bought the mohu sky 60 outdoor antenna, range about 75 miles. I live 50 miles northwest of Charlotte. It’s mounted in my attic, works great, run 3 TVs off it with an amplifier.

8. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +1,244
    ---
    My brother in law (RIP) stated that cable is done (about a decade ago). I use Sunday Ticket (laptop) and Netflix, Hulu and CBS All Access for local news. The internet $ needs to come down. It's free at some locations.

9. venecol

venecol PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,742
    ---
    Try this one, indoor, works great in FL. You need to point in right direction to pick up RI channels instead of Boston.

SmartSelect_20190910-145920_Best Buy.jpg

10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +11,173
    ---
    Thanks for the help, still not sure what I want to do.. surprisingly there aren't any really helpful sites on the interweb to help with kind of stuff, most seem to be product related...

Hulu live looks like a possibility, but that would increase the monthly outlay by about $19.00 which is not an issue.

This is not about spending money, it is about spending money foolishly.. the cable TV providers brag about how many channels they feature, but in our household between my wife and I we pretty much only watch about 10.. if cable offered an a la carte package, would reconsider.. instead they offer new channels that do not interest us..

11. Triumph

Triumph Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +9,457
    ---
    I have rabbit ears.

12. venecol

venecol PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,742
    ---
    Here's an article on tv antennas and the site has a lot of good articles on cord cutting.

How to choose a TV antenna

For cable channels I use Sling instead of Hulu, at about $34/mo. Its OK, there are 2 options orange or blue depending on the channel combo you want. I have the one that offers NFLNetwork.

13. ViperGTS

ViperGTS Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +8,126
    ---
    Youtube TV. 50 bucks a month.

14. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32,335
    ---
    A good plastic surgeon can solve that.

15. eustis22

eustis22 Rookie

Ratings:
    +11
    ---
    Are you able to mount an external antenna? My g/f in Bumstick, maine uses this one to very good effect:

Xtreme Signal HDTV 4 Bay Bowtie Outdoor TV Antenna 45 Mile VHF/UHF (HDB4X)

TV Fool will tell you the direction you need to point it:

TV Fool

you may be close enough to Boston to add Locast to your streaming service: it has service announcement breaks but I treat em like commercials:

Home - Locast

Good luck and f**k comcast

16. Bill Lee

Bill Lee What, me worry? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,906
    ---
    I agree on all of the above.

"TV Fool" is really good about showing you what kind of antenna you need and where to point it.

Re: "even though they are set on close stations, wants to pick up the Boston Stations" -- I can't explain why you'd be picking up Boston stations when RI ones are closer, the channels and their frequencies should not overlap.

Provide your address to "TV Fool", it'll make a map of what channels you should receive and what direction you should point your antenna to.