PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nate Burleson

Status
Not open for further replies.

On the Roster
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there... I'm no scout, so I am admittedly not the best judge of whether he would fit our offensive system. But I think his situation is interesting, nonetheless.

With Moss as his #1, he caught 68 balls for 1006 yds in 2004 as a 2nd year WR. Then they jettison Moss, draft Troy Williamson last year, making Burleson the #1. He had a forgettable year last year being the go-to guy, playing in only 12 games... 30 catches for 328 yds.

New coaching staff comes in and they low-tender him (he was a 3rd rounder, so that is what it would cost to sign him). They have Williamson, Travis Taylor, Marcus Robinson under contract along with Burleson as RFA, and then go out and re-sign Koren Robinson to a rich 3 year deal (12.7m with 5.5m guaranteed). The depth chart looks fairly deep as is. It seems to me that a guy just one year removed from a 1000 yard season being low-tendered sounds like bait for the Vikings to receive the 3rd round pick as RFA compensation. Could this be a guy who could thrive as a #2 aside Branch, or at the very least, replace Givens' production?

He is only 25 yrs old, listed as 6-0 192lbs, and he has some success playing in cold weather. In fact, in '04 cold weather (Nov-Jan), he played @GB, @Chi, @Was, @GB, @Phi, the last 3 being playoff games. In those 5 games, he caught 31 balls for 331 yds and 3 TD's.

Would you consider a guy like Burleson for our 3rd rounder (or 4th if they can negotiate it depending on league interest)? What kind of deal do you think he could get on the market considering his production differential in '04/'05? There may not be the same kind of buzz around him as a guy like Givens, and could come as a better value.

Thoughts?

Good suggestion

I like Burleson and think he might be an adequate replacement for Givens.

The only problem with that scenario is he is restricted. Considering Minnesota has about a gazillion dollars of cap room, they would pretty much match any contract offer he received. All you would really be accomplishing is negotiating his contract for the Vikings.

I like Burleson a lot. He is a young up-and-coming player. I'd sign him to a contract and gladly give up the 3rd round pick for compensation.

However, ultimately, the Vikings are going to match any offer he gets.

I would absolutely sign him to an offer sheet. Can't hurt.

How about Shaun McDonald of the Rams?

He has been fairly productive and fits the mold of the Pats WR (5-10, 185#). He is very fast and has some production the last couple seasons. He is restricted, with a 4th round pick as comp.

St. Louis has a lot of cap room but has been spending it. Perhaps by the time the RFA deadline (right before the draft) approaches they will be tighter against the cap and the Pats will be able to structure a contract they don't want to match.

Of course, St. Louis will probably match just about anything.

NE39 said:
I agree. It's a nice concept but by the time we offer enough to pry him away, we might as well have offered the money to Givens instead.

I guess the only chance would be if the Vikings like their other guys and want to "trade" Burleson for the #3 they would get . . . not likely though.

This is not the offseason to try and sneak a RFA out from under a teams watchful eye. Far too much cap money is out there.

NE39 said:
Even so, what is wrong with giving an offer? We need WRs BADLY.

drpatriot said:
Even so, what is wrong with giving an offer? We need WRs BADLY.
We have been known to make offers to RFA in the past...You never know the RFA's team is thinking.

NE39 said:
The only problem with that scenario is he is restricted. Considering Minnesota has about a gazillion dollars of cap room, they would pretty much match any contract offer he received. All you would really be accomplishing is negotiating his contract for the Vikings.

I like Burleson a lot. He is a young up-and-coming player. I'd sign him to a contract and gladly give up the 3rd round pick for compensation.

Your point is what I was trying to counter with specifics of the Koren Robinson deal @ 3 yrs, 4m per. They have good money invested in 2 WR's already... Williamson being a top 10 pick from last year and Koren Robinson's deal (not to mention Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson also under contract). I question whether they would match ANY offer for Burleson... do they want to tie up that much money in one position where they are currently 4-deep?

Besides, if they were willing to match any offer, why not mid-tender him (requiring 1st round compensation) to scare off all other teams while they negotiate a long term deal? My speculation is that they are intentionally leaving the door open by low-tendering him to receive that 3rd round pick as compensation.

The only issue with signing a RFA is it ties up the cap room for 7 days. However, on the other hand the Pats have room.

Last I read, Burleson and the Vikings were trying to negotiate a long-term deal. They are giving all indications of wanting to keep him. Part of the reason for the low-tender is because they know they can match any offer so the tender is a good deal for them.

It doesn't hurt to have more than 2 good WR. Burleson is a good player, he was just hurt and had an off year last season. I don't think he is the guy they want to get rid of, although I guess it won't hurt to try. I don't think they will let him go cheaply, though, so it will take a decent contract to get him.

Burleson, id offer 5 years/ 18 million, 6.5 million sb, i doubt minny will match, they just took a hit by trading away culpepper didnt they? plus now they need a qb, and they might have to trade up in the draft, and to do that they might have to trade away players, and to do that they might have to absorb more hits

Last edited:
p8ryts said:
I like Burleson

My favorite thing about the Rooster is the way he plants and throws from deep in the SS/3B hole, where other shortstops try that throw-off-balance crap.

shakadave said:
My favorite thing about the Rooster is the way he plants and throws from deep in the SS/3B hole, where other shortstops try that throw-off-balance crap.

Trading the Rooster broke my 11-year-old heart.

But on Nate, I like the player but I'm not thrilled with giving up the draft pick plus signing a contract too rick for the Vikings.

Good lord, I really did just write "rick" by mistake. Now you've done it, shakadave. I will never remember Nate Burleson's name again.

patchick said:
Trading the Rooster broke my 11-year-old heart.

But on Nate, I like the player but I'm not thrilled with giving up the draft pick plus signing a contract too rick for the Vikings.

Good lord, I really did just write "rick" by mistake. Now you've done it, shakadave. I will never remember Nate Burleson's name again.

Glad to be of service, o Predict the Score menace!

P.S. I think it was my 13-year-old heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back