PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

my take on the major changes we need in 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

makewayhomer

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
there aren't any.

BB built arguably the best team of all time this year. play the SB 100 times, and we win 65.

things just didn't go our way Sunday, but that doesn't mean it was a flawed team or that the Giants are a better team. it just means that...things didn't go our way.

1 bad game doesn't take away from the fact that this was the best constructed, best coached, just plain best team in the league, and anybody who wants to make wholesale philosophical or other changes is just crazy.

Last edited:
there aren't any.

BB built arguably the best team of all time this year. play the SB 100 times, and we win 65.

things just didn't go our way Sunday, but that doesn't mean it was a flawed team or that the Giants are a better team. it just means that...things didn't go our way.

1 bad game doesn't take away from the fact that this was the best constructed, best coached, just plain best team in the league, and anybody who wants to make wholesale philosophical or other changes is just crazy.

well they do need some changes. and some changes may not come willingly(i.e. fa's leaving). i really think the pats need to have a great draft this year, one that will help solidify some aging positions. they need to add some youth and speed at LB and the defensive backfield will not be the same.

well they do need some changes. and some changes may not come willingly(i.e. fa's leaving). i really think the pats need to have a great draft this year, one that will help solidify some aging positions. they need to add some youth and speed at LB and the defensive backfield will not be the same.

yeah, sure, some personal changes b/c of the cap need to be made. but the general way this team is constructed is more than fine, it's maybe the best ever

They need speed at ILB. All year Belichick compensated for his lack of speed in that area. Teams send fake sending receivers out inside to draw the ILB's back and then they run at them. There is no way Bruschi and Seau play together again. Other than that the D was pretty solid although we need a pass rusher who is more athletic than Jarvis. Jarvis is a good role player but not your typical speed rusher.

Draft Gholston and two corners, sign Dansby, re-sign Moss, Gaffney and Stallworth (most dispensable)after a renegotiation. Renegotiate with Colvin or sign Suggs (I can dream) and we'll be in good shape. The safety thing is an issue, but it isn't pressing as we have both sanders and meriweather able to play both safety spots. An improved and more versatile linebacking core could make any weaknesses in the secondary less suceptable to being exploited. I would like to see us move toward having LBs that can play either the ILB or OLB spot like Vrabel and Thomas can.

It's time for both to retire.

I hope not. If they both go...there will be a huge gaping hole at ILB. What two guys are you going to put in there? I would like a young stud ILB, but that's easier said than done. Plus I want Bruschi and Seau to go out on a better note than this. I will say though that I would prefer if they both came back in a reserve role.

True statement. They made the rest of our LBs look that much worse because they didn't worry anyone.

I'm sorry, but that's not true at all. Bruschi had a hell of a game against the chargers, saving TD's. Sure, he may need to have a reduced role, but i just think it's ridiculous to think he should retire. He is still of GREAT use on this team, especially in grooming the youngsters.

I love tedy brushci, but he could come back in a role, Seau is done, Harrison may be done.. Speed at LB and better offensive scheme to combat the pass happy offense we became in the super bwol...

In big games both guys stepped it up, but consistently the guys were our soft spot. Bruschi was less of a liability than Seau, but they can't be in the middle together. They (Ravens, Chargers, Steelers, Eagles, Giants) were ignoring one of our ILBs pretty consistently and going after one of our OLBs with more blockers than people were able to do prior to the Colvin injury. Nobody ran for more than 76 yards before the colvin injury, and I think it had to do just as much with Seau and Bruschi being in the middle as Colvin not being there.

The liability label is more deserving for Seau than Bruschi though.

Last edited:
I hope not. If they both go...there will be a huge gaping hole at ILB. What two guys are you going to put in there?
I've already made my draft wish list:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showpost.php?p=789055&postcount=19

Plus I want Bruschi and Seau to go out on a better note than this. I will say though that I would prefer if they both came back in a reserve role.
It's time for the Patriots to find the new Bruschi and the new Seau for the New England Patriots defense.

Besides shoring up our defense, I would have to say look for better balance between run and pass. I think we can be a great power running team with Maroney, Morris, Heath Evans, Faulk (3rd down guy).

I would make Welker the #1 receiver (He is Steve Largent who can run).

Resign Moss as a constant deep threat - he became a good soldier this year and you must keep Brady happy.

Our defense will be weakened if we do nothing, so we have to game plan around time of possestion and that means RUNNING THE FOOTBALL!!

Winning a game 24-17 counts just as much as winning 52-7. Next years sked does not appear to be that tough on the surface except for the extra travel to the West coast.

RUN the ball more. We pass too much when we don't need to imo.
Use the clock and don't become too one dimension plassing on every down.
We need a better blocking TE next year as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back