PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My sleeper picks-2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I must say, I don't watch tons of college football every year, typically about 50 games throughout the season, and then about 5 or 6 bowl games. I also try to watch all of the allstar games. Typically there are a few guys that catch my eye, and they aren't always Heisman trophy winners. For instance, guys like QB Jeff Blake & RB Curtis Martin caught my eye in some college games, and I was thrilled that we picked Martin (never thought he would become a future Hall of Famer though). Here are my sleeper picks this year:

Brandon Marshall WR Central Florida- You guys beat me to the punch on this one, I was going to post something on him last week. I love the way this guy plays, very physical, showed good hands, and decent enough speed. He will probably go in rounds 3 or later, would love to see him as a Patriot.

Will Derting ILB Washington State- This guy was a smaller A.J.Hawk during his freshman & sophomore seasons. Great sideline to sideline guy who suffered some inuries in his junior season, I didn't see him in his senior season. This guy is a heat seeking missile. The only problem with this guy, Patriot-wise is height. He is Lofa Tatupu size, 6-0' 238. I would have loved to have picked Lofa Tatupu, and he has turned out to be a great pick, starting in a Super Bowl next week. Not saying Derting will be as good as Tatupu, or another slight MLB, the Jets Vilma, but Derting is a serious talent. I don't know how fast he is, so I don't know if he can switch to safety ala Seattle's Boulaware. Derting has seemed to have slipped off the radar screen, so maybe a 5th rounder or lower. I don't doubt his talent though.

Paul Pinegar QB Fresno State- Also sliding pretty fast off the radar. Just something I like about this guy. Good arm, good leader. I've been watching this kid for a while, since my wife's family is from Fresno, and we visit quite often. I don't think the Pats draft a QB, but it wouldn't suprise me if Pinegar becomes a steal for someone.

I can't stand Pinegar, another one of those 10 cent brain guys. Makes terrible decisions, especially in key moments of the game.

Finally another person appreciates Will Derting

I agree, he is a Pats player in the Bruschi mold. He will be available late and would be a good addition.

He looks like the kind that all you need to say is "sic'en:

Derting is good... So what?

p8ryts said:
I agree, he is a Pats player in the Bruschi mold. He will be available late and would be a good addition.

He looks like the kind that all you need to say is "sic'en:

i don't know why you guys keep insisting that some 5 11 220# LB ithat runs a 4.9 is just what BB wants. He is too small to play LB, as the Patriots choose to play LB, and too slow to be a safety, no matter how "committed" he is. Look at Klecko as an example of somebody who doesn't fit. If what you want is to find the next Larry Izzo STer, why don't you say so.

BTW ....Larry is getting old, needs a replacement, and IIRC, was NEVER DRAFTED! So why are you wasting time??

I have two sleepers:

Gipson CB Oregon. Sporting news 2nd team all america. An exact duplicate of Hobbs, but an inch or two taller.

Watson NT Michigan. Purely a run stuffer. Clogs the middle.

A couple sleepers I like:

RT Mark Levoir & OG Dan Stevenson, both from Notre Dame-Notre Dame had an exceptional O-line this year & they're Charlie's guys. I bet they're already somewhat familiar with our offensive line system.

DT/DE Pat Massey, TE Tim Massaquoi & ILB Dave Harris, all from Michigan.

WR/KR Cory Rodgers, TCU & WR/KR Brandon Myles, West Virginia (although Rodgers may not exactly be a "sleeper").

SS Mike Lorello, West Virginia-a high motor guy that should be excellent on special teams.

CB Tyler Everett-he needs some technique work, but has the tools. In a game earlier this year I saw an Ohio St guy come from across the field to try to catch a WR who had broken a long one. The way he made up ground on a WR made me go "Dayum, who is #6?!" It was Everett.

Ochmed Jones said:
I have two sleepers:

Gipson CB Oregon. Sporting news 2nd team all america. An exact duplicate of Hobbs, but an inch or two taller.

Watson NT Michigan. Purely a run stuffer. Clogs the middle.

How can Watson, who is projected to be a 1st or 2nd round pick, be a sleeper
?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back