My prediction for the game: a stunner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Pats win 31-3.

I feel a blowout coming here.

I like the way you think. But I can't commit to that kind of blowout.
My Prediction: Pats 24-Jags 10. Tedy plays, and his injury is not as significant as rumored. Corey Dillon and Kevin Falk combine for 135+ yards on the ground. Look for Kevin to have a big day running to the perimeter. Corey saves his breakout game for Denver. Brady has a good but not great game and makes no mistakes.

pats1 said:
Pats win 31-3.

the formula is there

I think Tampa was a very comparable foe--strong defense, strong runner, somewhat suspect QB--but I can see Jax rolling over long before Tampa did...

The Patriots will win, but it will be a tough game and the margin will be a touchdown or less.

I wouldnt be stunned.
While I wouldnt PREDICT a blowout, an otherwise close matchup can easily snowball into a blowout based on how the game starts.
This is the type of game that does have the ability to snowball into one.

The Jags want to run the ball. We have been the best run D in the NFL over the last month and a hlaf or so, by a wide marign. In fact, we may have been the best run D in the NFL in the last 5 years since the Chief game, (not counting of course the Miami game where the taxi squad played).
I wouldnt be surpirsed at all if the Jags come out trying to establish the run. I wouldnt be surprised to see something like 6 carries for 8 yards in their first 3 drives. 3rd and long allows us to bring pressure, and that pressure can get 3 and outs, or turnovers.
One of the reasons we have not been a 'blowout team' through ourt dynasty is confidence in the defense. When we get ahead, we replace urgency to score with more emphasis on being conservative and not allowing the other team to get back in the game. Example: IMO, over the last 3 years Tom Brady is unquestionably the best 3rd and long QB in the NFL. When we are playing from ahead, we check down, or even run a draw in those situations. We arent trying not to get the first down, but ruinning a safer play with less of a chance of moving the sticks, accepting that with our D and a lead a punt isnt a bad thing. We also, until the second half of this year were extremely conmservative about going for it on 4th down.
Lately we have gone for the 4th down, and they have been almost automatic too.
IMO, Belichick coaches differently in the playoffs. He has said as much. I think his quote was something like "In a playoff game you never want to walk off the field saying you lost because you did things that arent what you do best". IMO, Belichick has seen enough struggle throughout the year on defense that, even though the D is playing superbly now, in the back of his mind he fears a breakdown when protecting a lead. I think you are going to see Belichick be more aggressive on offense with a lead than you have ever seen before.
I dont think its really a lack of confidence in the defense as much as a greater possibility that a team can get back in the game quickly. I think BBs playoff gameplans will be to go for the throat with the lead. I KNOW he will be perfectly happy putting his fortunes in Tom Bradys hands.

If we stifle the run, and shut down the first 3-4 drives to basically nothing, and capitalize on offense, (I can certainly see the approach that long clock eating drives will be beneficial, but I believe they will turn into drives that start out chewing the clock, then go to the end zone) we will take away their ability to run, turn loose the dogs and have Jacksonville facing sacks, turnovers, or just plays where the QB doesn't have the time to get the ball where he wants it to go.

If the game follows this path, it will be a blowout. We'll get up early, stay aggressive on both sides of the ball, then dumb it down and ride out the clock when the lead is insurmountable.

I think that these factors combine to make the chance of Patriot blowouts in the playoffs more likely than ever. We may be playing for the blowout when it position to do it, where in the past, we played to maintain a lead, and get to the 60 minute mark.

I don't know if its just wishfull thinking or its Time, but I think this is the game where our secondary steps up and plays really well. With that in mind, I see three picks against the Jags. This will happen as a result of the Jags not being able to run and with Brady producing. Three picks, thats right.

scout said:
I don't know if its just wishfull thinking or its Time, but I think this is the game where our secondary steps up and plays really well. With that in mind, I see three picks against the Jags. This will happen as a result of the Jags not being able to run and with Brady producing. Three picks, thats right.

Well, aside from the 3 picks part, our secondary already has stepped up and played really well. They have been excellent ever since the KC game. And yes, it was due to our run D not allowing anyone to run.

If the defense plays as it has since the KC game, the Jags will not see the end zone, unless its in garbage time.

scout said:

I'm a little concerned about Jacksonville's WR corp. I think they are a big group. I think that the Pats will stop the run. My only fear for this game is Jacksonville winning battles on jump balls on 3rd down.

kurtinelson said:
I'm a little concerned about Jacksonville's WR corp. I think they are a big group. I think that the Pats will stop the run. My only fear for this game is Jacksonville winning battles on jump balls on 3rd down.
Thats only gonna happen if their QB at the time(BL either wilts and goes down or is pulled by half time) has the time to throw the ball, and that aint gonna happen.

I see PATs winning. I do not see a "Blow Out". I see PATs in control.
I can see PATs winning by 10+ points. I really doubt they will win by
more than 17 points.
This could be very much like the last game they played:
LAST MEETING: Dec. 14, 2003; Patriots, 27-13. At Foxborough, Mass., Brady threw for 228 yards and two TDs

pats1 said:
Pats win 31-3.

I dreamt, the other night, that they won. I remember being so happy that 1 playoff game was out of the way. Don't know what to make of it. This is the first time (that I recall) that I ever dreamt of a Pats game.

Michael said:
I dreamt, the other night, that they won. I remember being so happy that 1 playoff game was out of the way. Don't know what to make of it. This is the first time (that I recall) that I ever dreamt of a Pats game.
Woaa! Deja Vu! Didn't I read some sort of thread just like this about a week ago?

shirtsleeve said:
Woaa! Deja Vu! Didn't I read some sort of thread just like this about a week ago?
Woaa! Deja Vu! Didn't I read some sort of thread just like this about a week ago? Wait, didn't I say something like this a minute ago?

I really believe we lose this game. WHY? Karma...I just feel bad karma in the air over the Miami planned loss (very unlike BB and it was a complete mockery with the drop kick) and this week with Brady being very unBrady like and opening up his trap about the stupid disrespect thing...It just feels like something negative is coming our why. Of course, I hope I am way off, but I just have a serious gut feeling and pretty much my gut feelings have been pretty accurate...not 100% by any means, but a 80-20 is pretty accurate!

I predict a very close back and forth game...Jags in the final seconds of the 4th with a FG kick (sound familiar - what comes around goes around...)

Jags 24
Pats 21

Ya, i understand what your saying Drewwho. With dillon opening up his trap, and the brady with the whole disrespect thing, and us losing our final game, it all does seem a bit out of character. But, to put things in perspective, we finished the season of 10-6. We are a different team. And i''m still lovin them.

Still got the pats winning this one though, especially in foxboro.

I got the patrionts winning 27-10

I dreamt today that they were beating the Steelers in the AFC Championship game. Then Brady got hit and came up limping real bad and Flutie went in. I then woke up in a cold sweat and thanked God it was only a dream.

Drewwho said:
Karma...I just feel bad (very unlikesomething any means, but a 80-20 is pretty accurate!

I predict a very close back and forth game...Jags in the final seconds of the 4th with a FG kick (sound familiar - what comes around goes around...)

Jags 24
Pats 21

The team karma is ok....we have not pissed off the football gods. And as for the score, I think the Jags are going to keep it close, but I am in total agreement that there is potential for a big blowout by the Pats. No one has said that all week (that I have seen, anyway). But the person who made the comparison that the Jags are a lot like the Bucs is absolutely dead on. I would say that Leftwich is an upgrade over Simms primarily because of experience, but both have no playoff experience and Leftwich is playing his 1st game back from a broken ankle less than 6 weeks ago? Goog god. Its like trying to win a NASCAR race with 3 tires on. If the Jags cannot run the ball the the Jags have no chance of winning.

kurtinelson said:
It seems to me our CBs have been playing off the line lately. Do you think we will see them jam up the recievers at the line in this game? Or is this only effective with speedy recievers? Those long legged WR take a while to get up to speed. A little disruption at the line and the pressure we know will come on the QB might take those big WR out of the game.

11hrs3mins

Michael said:

Dreams do come true. :)

Drewwho said:
I really believe we lose this game. WHY? Karma...I just feel bad karma in the air over the Miami planned loss (very unlike BB and it was a complete mockery with the drop kick) and this week with Brady being very unBrady like and opening up his trap about the stupid disrespect thing...It just feels like something negative is coming our why. Of course, I hope I am way off, but I just have a serious gut feeling and pretty much my gut feelings have been pretty accurate...not 100% by any means, but a 80-20 is pretty accurate!

Jags 24
Pats 21
Karma,Karma,Karma,Karma kluu-uueless;
snif,snivle,sob;
snif,snivle,sob;

I'll bet you know the tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill