Cardinals & 49ers
Colts & Chiefs
Bengals & Patriots

1. Texans - Reggie Bush, RB, USC
2. Saints - Matt Leinart, QB, USC
3. Titans - Vince Young, QB, Texas
4. Lions* - Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt
5. Packers - AJ Hawk, LB, Ohio St.
6. Raiders - Mario Williams, DE, N.C. St.
7. Cardinals* - D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia
8. Buffalo - Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon
9. Jets* - LenDale White, RB, USC
10. 49ers* - DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis
11. Rams - Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa
12. Browns - Tamba Hali, DE, Penn St.
13. Ravens - Michael Huff, DB, Texas
14. Eagles - DeMeco Ryans, LB, Alabama
15. Falcons - Jimmy Williams, CB, Virginia Tech
16. Dolphins - Tye Hill, CB, Clemson
17. Vikings - Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn
18. Cowboys - Ko Simpson, S, South Carolina
19. Chargers - Eric Winston, OT, Miami
20. Colts* - Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
21. Bengals* - Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland
22. Broncos - Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio St.
23. Buccaneers - Winston Justice, OT, USC
24. Patriots* - Mathias Kiwanuka, OLB, Boston College
25. Giants - Antonio Cromartie, CB, Florida St.
26. Bears - Marcedes Lewis, TE, UCLA
27. Panthers - Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Florida State
28. Jaguars - Manny Lawson, DE/OLB, N.C. St.
29. Broncos - Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia
30. Chiefs* - Ernie Sims, OLB/S, Florida St.
31. Steelers - Rodrique Wright, DE, Texas
32. Seahawks - Sinorice Moss, WR, Miami

Last edited:
Yikes, if we take an OLB in Round 1 (which I don't like), I would take Lawson over Kiwanuka.

bold prediction that the Lions would have to trade up to get Cutler....the only reason to do so would be if they thought the raiders were going to take him...the only other likely destination for Cutler would be Miami, which would allow the lions to trade down...if the lions traded up, it could be to take D'Brickshaw to replace Backus (FA casualty)

i can't think if the raiders are grooming somebody to take the QB job???? so i could see Al Davis liking the strong-armed Cutler

wouldn't be upset with kiwanuka....if we wanted LenDale, he'd have to slip a bit...if one of white, huff and Greenway were available at 18, i'd trade up to get him...dallas would trade down to take a tackle and could use another pick in the late third or early fourth

my two cents :D

ayjackson said:
bold prediction that the Lions would have to trade up to get Cutler....the only reason to do so would be if they thought the raiders were going to take him...the only other likely destination for Cutler would be Miami, which would allow the lions to trade down...if the lions traded up, it could be to take D'Brickshaw to replace Backus (FA casualty)
Cutler's stock continues to rise, and he could go as early as #2 I'm seeing. Either way, I think he goes to either the Titans, Jets, or Raiders if the Lions don't trade up. They have a lot of pressure on them, so I think they'll make sure they get the QB they need.

As for taking Lawson, he hasn't proven enough to me to warrant going that high. If he runs a sub 4.5 at the combine, which I'm guessing he won't, then he may shoot into the Top 20, but not yet. Kiwanuka is a smart player with a great work ethic and attitude who is from right around here. I think he would fit very nicely.

That's a really nice mock. Makes a lot of sense. I love the fact that you have Simpson going to Dallas. I think Simpson is a playmaker, the best in the secondary available in this draft. I could see Parcells drooling for that kid.
I like Hali going to Cleveland. (Although I think he'd play OLB. He's too small and not strong enough to play DE) As an OLB, Hali could have a bteer rookie season than Ware did for Dallas.
I think you are right about the run on TEs at the end of the first round regardless of how they run at the pro days on their campus.

drew4008 said:
As for taking Lawson, he hasn't proven enough to me to warrant going that high. If he runs a sub 4.5 at the combine, which I'm guessing he won't, then he may shoot into the Top 20, but not yet. Kiwanuka is a smart player with a great work ethic and attitude who is from right around here. I think he would fit very nicely.
For me this is too strong of a draft to take a guy in the first round who has to switch positions to play for us.

Not sold on Kiawanuka

He is dinged up too often for me. In the games I saw he wasn't dominant, was fast but not strong. Doesn't mean he couldn't be coached up but he doesn't make sense to me.

drew4008 said:
Cutler's stock continues to rise, and he could go as early as #2 I'm seeing. Either way, I think he goes to either the Titans, Jets, or Raiders if the Lions don't trade up. They have a lot of pressure on them, so I think they'll make sure they get the QB they need.

Being a season ticket holder I have seen Mathius play a number of times and I have NEVER seen anything from him that makes me think he is worth a #1. He also gotten dominated by D’Brickshaw at the Senior Bowl – before he got hurt – while Lawson played great. Also, as for taking a local product, I could care less unless the two prospects are absolutely even.

Very nice mock. Creative and realistic.

My only criticisms have already been expressed:
1) Romeo cant use Tamba Hali. He's too big to play OLB and too small to be a 3-4 DE. He would consider a 300#er like Orien Harris at the DE spot before he'd draft Hali.
2) Pats trading down makes good sense, but I would prefer Lawson over Kiwanuka, too.

Did you consider Richard Mashall, the CB from Fresno? A value pick-- help drive Poole into retirement. The only other name that comes to mind is Carpenter.

Overall, tho, very nicely done.

rookBoston said:
Very nice mock. Creative and realistic.

My only criticisms have already been expressed:
1) Romeo cant use Tamba Hali. He's too big to play OLB and too small to be a 3-4 DE. He would consider a 300#er like Orien Harris at the DE spot before he'd draft Hali.
2) Pats trading down makes good sense, but I would prefer Lawson over Kiwanuka, too.

Did you consider Richard Mashall, the CB from Fresno? A value pick-- help drive Poole into retirement. The only other name that comes to mind is Carpenter.

Overall, tho, very nicely done.

How can you say that Hali is TOO BIG to play OLB? He's no bigger than Willie McGinest. In fact, Hali is 6'2 and 265. The Browns ran a 4-3 last year and will probably continue to do so. Hali would be a perfect fit as a 4-3 DE for Crennel.

Marshall isn't worth a 1st rounder, is he?

DaBruinz said:
The Browns ran a 4-3 last year and will probably continue to do so. Hali would be a perfect fit as a 4-3 DE for Crennel.
The Browns definitely ran a 3-4 with a NT last year.

shatch62 said:
Being a season ticket holder I have seen Mathius play a number of times and I have NEVER seen anything from him that makes me think he is worth a #1. He also gotten dominated by D’Brickshaw at the Senior Bowl – before he got hurt – while Lawson played great. Also, as for taking a local product, I could care less unless the two prospects are absolutely even.

I read the same thing...Mathias Kiwanuka did not look good Senior Bowl week. I may be wrong but BC defensive players always get me thinking of Mile Mamula (sp?)

DaBruinz said:
How can you say that Hali is TOO BIG to play OLB? He's no bigger than Willie McGinest. In fact, Hali is 6'2 and 265. The Browns ran a 4-3 last year and will probably continue to do so. Hali would be a perfect fit as a 4-3 DE for Crennel.

Marshall isn't worth a 1st rounder, is he?

McGinest is listed at 255#, so Hali is noticably heavier.

He is too big for a 3-4. He's got a big butt, and doesn't have the agility in reverse gear to play OLB. Look at his game tape... he looks like Greg Spires, not Willie McGinest. He wont be able to keep up with a TE or a RB in open space. He's a pure inside pass rusher.

Whether the Browns will stick with the 4-3 or shift to the 3-4 remains to be seen. They may run the 4-3 and draft for the 3-4, same way BB did. To run the 3-4, you need a lot of specialized personnel: a powerful NT, and a deep and physical LB corp. After cleaning house on the DL last year, Romeo didn't have the roster to run a 3-4... but that doesn't mean he wont try to build one.

BB didn't have the personnel he needed to run his 3-4 until 2003, and was forced to play 4-3 until he could lock down the players he needed to execute. I'll bet Romeo's in the same situation.

--------------------------

As for Marshall... I dunno. No one's talking about him as a first rounder, but I think they should be. He has the speed, athleticism, tackling ability... all the hallmarks of a blue chipper, except the pedigree. If he had played for Michigan or FSU, he'd be getting more national attention. Plus, he left Fresno early, so he may be a bit under the radar. Remember, we got our starting LG and backup SS from Pat Hill last year. BB has the skinny on Fresno players

BB's not afraid to spend his first rounder on a player no one else is chasing. Mankins wasn't supposed to go in the first round, either. And Warren was supposed to be an early 2nd rounder, but BB traded up to land him. You never know; Marshall reads like a fit for the Pats. Big hitter. Great hands. Smart. Good leadership. If he's as advertised, spending #21 is not a reach. They compare him to Marcus Trufant.

Everyone is talking about Tye Hill for the Pats, but IMO Hill doesn't fit our defensive philosophy at all. He's a pure cover corner, smooth and fast. That's all good, but if BB is going to draft a CB in the first, I think it'll be a guy more like Marshall than Hill: a guy that'll take your head off and come away with the ball.

rookBoston said:
BB's not afraid to spend his first rounder on a player no one else is chasing. Mankins wasn't supposed to go in the first round, either. And Warren was supposed to be an early 2nd rounder, but BB traded up to land him. You never know; Marshall reads like a fit for the Pats. Big hitter. Great hands. Smart. Good leadership. If he's as advertised, spending #21 is not a reach.
Mankins is a good example although that's a little different as last year was a weak draft. I think you're remembering Warren incorectly, he was definitely thought of as a first rounder and was looking like a likely pick for us at the bottom (then) of the big group of DL.

I don't see Belichick reaching this year. There's too much talent. If anything I could see us trading up a little (although I love trading down) to try to get 2-3 impact players - I think this draft is deep enough to do just that.

BelichickFan said:
The Browns definitely ran a 3-4 with a NT last year.

I stand corrected. For some reason I was thinking that the Browns drafted Odell Thurman and not the Bengals.

So, Hali would have to line up as an OLB in the Brown defense. It can be done. He's definitely too small to be a 3-4 DE.

rookBoston said:
McGinest is listed at 255#, so Hali is noticably heavier.

You must know something that Patriots.com and ESPN.com don't know then. They both have McGinest at 270.
http://sports-att.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/roster?team=nwe
http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?pn=2&ac=players

rookBoston said:
He is too big for a 3-4. He's got a big butt, and doesn't have the agility in reverse gear to play OLB. Look at his game tape... he looks like Greg Spires, not Willie McGinest. He wont be able to keep up with a TE or a RB in open space. He's a pure inside pass rusher.

In the one game that I watched of Hali playing, outside of the Senior Bowl, I watched him drop into coverage on a TE on a few occasions and he didn't have a problem with it that I could tell. I haven't studied him exclusively, but I also realize things don't happen in a vacuum.

Hali is very athletic and a very determined player with a great work ethic, I definitely wouldn't say he can't do it. He played great all Senior Bowl week and his raised his stock alot.

My bad. McGinest is bigger than 255#. I think I crossed the number on his jersey with his weight. I had Vrabel in my head at 250#, and he's actually 261# and wears #50... so I think this is some kind of dislexic memory thing.

Will BB reach in this draft

This is a solid draft. Some draftniks have as many as 43 first round grades on prospects. Will BB reach with the first round pick??? Probably not he doesn't need to in this draft. Will he reach at some point in the draft?? Yes because He'll always stay true to his in house evaluations regardless of what others say.
Some of his greatest highs and lows on reaches have come in the second round. WR Branch - he hit a home run on that one. WR B Johnson - Whiff, thus far.
Look at the third round CB Brock Williams - OK he got hurt. CB Hobbs - looks good so far.

Bottom line BB is going to throw us a curve ball in late April. We can try to anticipate the reach, but the chances are slim of getting it right.

My BB reach special - CB Gipson Oregon in the 3rd or 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes