PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My 2006 2 Round Mock Draft, V.1 (3/7/2006) READ AND COMMENT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
LetsGoPats36 said:
http://www.patsfans.com/section-300/node/90

As always, I want to hear all of your feedback. Constructive criticism is very beneficial, so don't be afraid to dish it out. Positive comments are encouraged as well ;) Thanks!

Very good job. And you did a very good job explaining you picks.

A month ago I really liked Bing also. However, his stock is starting to drop. According to Pro Football Weekly, they have him as a late 2nd to upper 3rd round pick.

They mentioned all the positives, size, footspeed, big hitter and ST ability. But, the negitives are, not smart, disappears at time, not good in coverage, not very focused. Ranked 4 th of the Safeties.

Hagans they have rated as late 2nd or upper 3rd. Problem: drops too many passes. not a willing blocker.

A guy on the rise is Michael Robinson who ws a qB at Penn State. A month ago teh stuff that I read had him a 4-5 rounder. Now he's moving up to 2nd-3rd.

What is you opinion of him?

PATSNUTme said:
Very good job. And you did a very good job explaining you picks.

A month ago I really liked Bing also. However, his stock is starting to drop. According to Pro Football Weekly, they have him as a late 2nd to upper 3rd round pick.

They mentioned all the positives, size, footspeed, big hitter and ST ability. But, the negitives are, not smart, disappears at time, not good in coverage, not very focused. Ranked 4 th of the Safeties.

Hagans they have rated as late 2nd or upper 3rd. Problem: drops too many passes. not a willing blocker.

A guy on the rise is Michael Robinson who ws a qB at Penn State. A month ago teh stuff that I read had him a 4-5 rounder. Now he's moving up to 2nd-3rd.

What is you opinion of him?

Thanks for taking time to responds, its appriciated.

If you're reading Pro Football Weekly, know that it is a pre combine magazine that tries to make a lot of bold predictions because they know things are going to change. They projected Bing's stock dropping and Michael Robinson's stocking rising. Robinson hasn't really done anything to raise his stock, and I would be very surprised if he went in the 2-3rd round. I honestly wouldn't use a pick on him until the 5th or 6th round. He is a good athlete, but I don't think he has the skills to be a good receiver or running back and he definitely doesn't have the skills to play quarterback.

As for Bing, he has been dropping in mocks because he didn't have a chance to play in the senior bowl and no ones really heard much from him since the rose bowl. after his pro day, expect his stock to rise a lot.

LetsGoPats36 said:
http://www.patsfans.com/section-300/node/90

As always, I want to hear all of your feedback. Constructive criticism is very beneficial, so don't be afraid to dish it out. Positive comments are encouraged as well ;) Thanks!
Plausible mock until I got to the Pats' choices! :eek:

Bing - unless he can also play cornerback, I don't consider safety a good value in round one, compare Rodney's salary and performance to the three starters on the D-line. BB has shopped for Rodney's back-ups in the middle rounds.

Hagans - he dropped balls all week at the Senior Bowl, including the game. He also was dropping balls in the drills at the Combine, if you want a big receiver who demonstrated ability to perform in pressure games/situations look to Brandon Marshall. I do agree with a WR in round 2, though I like Mike Hass for what I project is his ability to complement Deion Branch's game.

I've been pondering where to set my draft priorities, with the weakness at WR in free agency and in the draft, I'm inclined to think BB would look to put added emphasis on building the run game to counter a perceived weakness in the passing game this season. I think I'd put my emphasis on the O-line in round one, ether Colledge or Winston at 21.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Plausible mock until I got to the Pats' choices! :eek:

Bing - unless he can also play cornerback, I don't consider safety a good value in round one, compare Rodney's salary and performance to the three starters on the D-line. BB has shopped for Rodney's back-ups in the middle rounds.

Hagans - he dropped balls all week at the Senior Bowl, including the game. He also was dropping balls in the drills at the Combine, if you want a big receiver who demonstrated ability to perform in pressure games/situations look to Brandon Marshall. I do agree with a WR in round 2, though I like Mike Hass for what I project is his ability to complement Deion Branch's game.

I don't see whats ridiculous about drafting Bing. As I said in the follow up, strong safety is the most vital position in the secondary for New England, Rodney's career is almost over, and Bing has the potential to be an all-pro game changing safety. Not only that, his personality fits well with the team. He's smart, he's a team leader on the field, and he is an all effort kind of guy. Not only that but he is a good contributor on special teams.

I find it funny that Derek Hagan, the Pac-10's all time leader in receptions and is second in receiving yards, drops two passes in the senior bowl (he still managed to catch 3 balls and one was for a touchdown, but no one seemed to notice that) and suddenly he's no longer worth a second round pick. Thats where the senior bowl becomes a problem, when one slightly off game wipes away an entire career. I didn't think he was that bad at the combine either. He had a good 40 time and was pretty consistent on most of the drills.

LetsGoPats36 said:
I don't see whats ridiculous about drafting Bing. As I said in the follow up, strong safety is the most vital position in the secondary for New England, Rodney's career is almost over, and Bing has the potential to be an all-pro game changing safety. Not only that, his personality fits well with the team. He's smart, he's a team leader on the field, and he is an all effort kind of guy. Not only that but he is a good contributor on special teams.

I find it funny that Derek Hagan, the Pac-10's all time leader in receptions and is second in receiving yards, drops two passes in the senior bowl (he still managed to catch 3 balls and one was for a touchdown, but no one seemed to notice that) and suddenly he's no longer worth a second round pick. Thats where the senior bowl becomes a problem, when one slightly off game wipes away an entire career. I didn't think he was that bad at the combine either. He had a good 40 time and was pretty consistent on most of the drills.
Gently now, I don't recall using ridiculus, we have a disagreement on whether S is a first round value. What I saw of Bing in games was promising, I'd just prefer a different direction in round one.

Hagan dropped 2 and caught 3, something about that ratio is not encouraging. Yes, he had great production, so did many of the other guys. I'm stuck in that the Senior Bowl and the other All Star games was the only look I'd had at most of the prospects. With that limited perspective I look for production in the 'big game' as the draft standard.

Nice Work!

I actually like the Bing pick. I would not be dissapointed at all if we chose him. As far as Box-O-Rox's argument that a safety is not of good value, I don't agree. Would one consider Troy Polamalu a good first rounder? I would, and I feel that Bing is of the same ilk as Polomalu.

Hagans is a tough one...I like his athletic ability, hands seem to be an issue

two solid picks though!

Box_O_Rocks said:
Gently now, I don't recall using ridiculus, we have a disagreement on whether S is a first round value. What I saw of Bing in games was promising, I'd just prefer a different direction in round one.

Hagan dropped 2 and caught 3, something about that ratio is not encouraging. Yes, he had great production, so did many of the other guys. I'm stuck in that the Senior Bowl and the other All Star games was the only look I'd had at most of the prospects. With that limited perspective I look for production in the 'big game' as the draft standard.

I didn't mean to come off in a biting or pissed off manner, we have a different view on the value of safety, thats all.

As for Hagan, if you're only basing your opinion off of him on the senior bowl, I can understand why you would have a lower opinion of him than I do. However, he really wowed me in his time at Arizona State. To be the all time leader in receptions in a conference that throws more than any other speaks volumes about the kind of player he is. I also like Hagan's attitude alot and how hard he works. Coming out of high school, he was a one star recruit that basically no school wanted. He worked his ass off at ASU to improve and he eventually became the best receiver the team has ever had. He's the kind of player I want on my team.

I dont want to say anything is impossible when it comes to BB in the draft, but... well, you passed on my favorite prospects!

Bobby Carpenter in the first and Richard Marshall in the second is a dream combo, and they are both there for the taking. Now, if you're uncertain about Carpenter at #21 (some rumors say he's a bit lite in the head... not sure what to make of that), then Kiwanuka is a great pick at #21, too... and by all accounts he's a real student of the game.

Re: the WR class, I vote for spending a few Day Two picks trying to dig up the next Bam Childress or David Givens. Taking a leap of faith on Hagans in the 2nd is not something BB is likely to do. Of the Day One prospects, Moss and Hass are the most interesting to me... but let's wait a bit and find the value. Even Mel Kiper agrees that this WR class sucks balls. Why bother hoping for orange juice to come from a grapefruit-- just drink the damn grapefruit and move on.

Bing is somewhat plausible... although I'm suspicious of him... I suspect he's a bit more mercenary than we would want in the future captain of our secondary. There is nothing in his draft profile that says he's not a great leader and coach on the field... but if he was, I'd think that SOMEONE would have put a good word into their scouting report. So, by omission, the suggestion is that he's a great player and physical specimin... and there you go. That's great if that's all you're looking for. That's how Bobby Grier liked to do it. But if he grades well physically but poorly in intangibles, BB/SP will certainly pass. Especially as a candidate for #21, he'll need to interview real well to win me over.

All that said, I actually quite enjoyed your mock. Seems very reasonable top to bottom.

rookBoston said:
Bing is somewhat plausible... although I'm suspicious of him... I suspect he's a bit more mercenary than we would want in the future captain of our secondary. There is nothing in his draft profile that says he's not a great leader and coach on the field... but if he was, I'd think that SOMEONE would have put a good word into their scouting report.

I've seen various comments that fellow safety Scott Ware was actually the field general for USC's secondary. Supposedly Bing was the spectacular athlete, Ware the leader/coach on the field.

LetsGoPats36 said:
I didn't mean to come off in a biting or pissed off manner, we have a different view on the value of safety, thats all.

As for Hagan, if you're only basing your opinion off of him on the senior bowl, I can understand why you would have a lower opinion of him than I do. However, he really wowed me in his time at Arizona State. To be the all time leader in receptions in a conference that throws more than any other speaks volumes about the kind of player he is. I also like Hagan's attitude alot and how hard he works. Coming out of high school, he was a one star recruit that basically no school wanted. He worked his ass off at ASU to improve and he eventually became the best receiver the team has ever had. He's the kind of player I want on my team.
No worries, just wanted to make sure we're having fun.

I have to agree with Box that the priority should be to fix the running game. One of the things that struck me over the season was the number of very short passes Brady threw (i.e. to WRs stood at the line of scrimmage). It was effective at first but became less so as teams wised up. Watch Champ Bailey line up David Givens just before his INT as an example. Givens dropped the pass but Bailey knew it was coming. Plays like that smack to me of a justified lack of confidence in the running game. OK, we went some way to addressing the concerns last year, but a decent guard and/or tackle for the right side seem in order. I'm not sold on Gorin or Ashworth and Neal is still a project. I wouldn't want to draft a Max-Jean Gilles type as he has the potential to become all-pro at Lard eating (and I should know!) but someone who can maul a bit would be nice. Whether that justifies a first rounder, I don't know.
If not, then go with value (as they tend to do, anyway) and take BPA. Do the likes of Maroney or Addai look as if they could be good pros? I think we need another Corey or similar. I'd sacrifice a little speed if necessary for a 25 carry a game back who could be relied on to make 4 yards more often than not. The passing game needs it.
Oh, and I also accept that we need to get younger at Linebacker and could do with depth at receiver if Givens goes.

Edit: I forgot to say what a great mock that was, Darren. I see you have the Jets taking Ferguson ahead of Cutler. I wonder if he would be a good fit for Oakland's offence, as I have seen suggested elsewhere, especially if he has the arm strength?

Edit of edit: I had forgotten that Willie's future is uncertain. That might change the draft day dynamic a little, of course.

Last edited:
Even the GBN mock has Bing in the 3rd round. As far a PFW being pre-combine, the things that they mentioned about Bing & Hagans have nothing to do to the combine "measureables".

Things like, "not very smart', "not very focued",and "drops too many balls" and "does not block very well". These things are all comments about how they played and not how they did at teh combine.

I take all of these with a grain of salt. Mocks are going to change as there is still over 50 days before the draft. Players will rise and fall before then. I just use them as a bit of a guide and don't take them all that seriously.

When I look at players, I look for comments as mentioned above. OL & DL I look for things such as "mean streaK", 'coachable" "mobile', "upside". Those types of things.

Former Secondary Coaches

BB and Pete "the Rete" Carroll are both former secondary coaches, but they teach vastly different styles of secondary play and schemes.

I remember Ty Law spoke to this in an interview during TC in Pete "the Rete" Carroll's first year. While trying to sound as posotive as possible, he basically said that the systems followed the personalities of the coaches. Pete's was laid back, too laid back and BB's was intense and secretive, bordering on paranoid.

All joking aside, it's very hard for me to project Bing into our defense, I actually see Ware as a better fit.

All your feedback is appriciated, thanks guys.

LetsGoPats36 said:
I don't see whats ridiculous about drafting Bing. As I said in the follow up, strong safety is the most vital position in the secondary for New England, Rodney's career is almost over, and Bing has the potential to be an all-pro game changing safety.
? So, you feel Gus Scott, James Sanders, etc. aren't any use at SS?

I'll be extremely disappointed if the Patriots take Bing (or any Safety) in round 1. Or round 2.

With how the first 20 picks of your draft went, I'd rather see the Pats take Chad Jackson, Maroney, or any of the LBs taken with the next several picks. SS is nowhere near the list of top needs IMO, considering two have been drafted on day 1 in the last 2 years.

I'd have no problem with him in round 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back