SOURCE:NESN

SOURCE:WEEI

SOURCE:WEEI

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Movie: Joker

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by slash83, Sep 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. supafly

supafly Suddenly sad and Brady-less PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +25,006
    Holy sh!t. It was even better than I expected.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Flash

Flash Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,375
    Metacritic: 58/100 from critics, 9.2/10 from users

Rotten Tomatoes: 69% from critics, 92% from users

Isn't that interesting. Before, I'm still debating whether to see this in theaters or watch it a few months later at a friend's house or something, but now I'm leaning towards the latter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +36,455
    The high users ratings are early returns reflecting fanboy affirmation bias. My sense from afar is that Phoenix puts in a great performance overshadowing an otherwise mediocre film. I'm curious about it but will wait for it on cable. I think the 69-percent RT critics rating is telltale.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  4. supafly

Ratings:
    +25,006
    I’m kind of a harsh movie critic, and the last time I felt this sure of an Oscar performance was 12 Years A Slave. There’s zero comic book/superhero movie cheesiness to the film, which is great since I’m not a guy who would waste time watching any of those movies. It’s a “short” 120 minutes with no lulls and an insane acting job by Joaquin Phoenix. He won’t be denied an Oscar for the 3rd time.

RT and IMDB are trending around 70%, but it’s much closer to the early 90s scores that we’re consistently seeing from all three sites (MC, RT, and IMDB). I don’t know why the Metacritic score is hovering a full 10 points lower, but my guess is that some idiot gave it a really low score and that’s bringing the average down. You should see it at the theater, for sure.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. patsrj

patsrj Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +331
    I won't say a Oscar sure thing, but it will be a big contender (movie, best actor, best director) .. Also 70% on rotten tomatoes is very unfair, maybe it's this low for the "violence controversy".
    Great movie, even if you don't like superheros movies

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +36,455
    Granted, Phoenix might be nominated but "big contender" for the best movie Oscar? You've got to be kidding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +56,136
    Not necessarily. For example, the users hated The Last Jedi while the critics loved that pile of ****. My buddy saw it and said it was phenomenal. He’s the furthest thing from a fanboy.

8. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +36,455
    You're right about The Last Jedi, but don't you think most people pay to attend a movie -- especially on opening weekend -- pretty much already sold and expecting to enjoy it regardless? I don't know if the RT audience rating continues to be updated but if it stays in the 90s I'd be tempted to see Joker in the theater despite feeling skeptical (might be a generational thing).

9. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +56,136
    Not with superhero movies. They’re going to kill at the box office regardless because the majority of the population is familiar with the story. The same goes for Star Wars and other franchises that don’t have their origins in comic books. @supafly was the commentary about society pretty spot-on? And how do they portray Thomas Wayne?

10. slash83

slash83 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,547
    Going to a showing tonight, super excited to see this one. I’ll come back with my thoughts after I see it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. venecol

venecol The FRG has a little **** PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,493
    Are you describing the AB thread?

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. supafly

Ratings:
    +25,006
    I’m certainly not a fanboy by any means. As a matter of fact, I didn’t even see any of the Marvel or DC movies or whatever. I was just interested in this because Phoenix is such an awesome actor and it looked like a good film, so forgive me if I don’t know the whole backstory etc.

The commentary about society was absolutely spot on, and Thomas Wayne was portrayed as an arrogant bigwig who couldn’t have possibly cared any less about Arthur Fleck.

My wife and I are movie buffs who used to pay for the MoviePass card, allowing us to see as many movies as possible, so we’re the kind of people who see just about every single new movie on opening weekend, particularly in a year where good movies have been few and far between.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. patsrj

patsrj Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +331
    There were not so many great movies this year, can you name six, seven better movies? I think it will be there with other 3 movies (at most) to win it..

14. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,229
    It was excellent. And I am not a comic movie fan. I will say this, if you didn't know anything about Batman or the Joker; and watched this movie, you would think you were watching a movie about a dude who progressively goes insane and paints his face.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. supafly

Ratings:
    +25,006
    In a very shocking and disturbing way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. slash83

slash83 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,547
    What a great movie. I was drawn in from the opening scene and was hooked into the movie until the ending credits. Great story, great acting by Phoenix, definitely a must watch.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +56,136
    LOL, that’s what you’re watching. The Joker has never been painted this way before, though. Usually, he’s depicted as a gangster who is totally insane. This time, he’s depicted as an incel.

18. supafly

Ratings:
    +25,006
    As you know, it’s a backstory, character development piece. The gangster comes later.

19. SammyBlueCat

SammyBlueCat PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12,624
    Phoenix did a great job but If I had it to do over I would not go.

• Useful Useful x 2
  20. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +36,455
    Please share why (without giving away plot details). Was it a downer?