SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

SOURCE:NBC Sports Boston

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Movie: 1917

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Tunescribe, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +35,764
    What an incredible film, had me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. The detail and realism were top notch.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  2. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34,552
    which means Once Upon A Time In Hollywood will get the Oscar....

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +35,764
    That was good too, but 1917 is at a different level entirely.

4. Joker

Ratings:
    +34,552
    I'm partial to "Joker" for obvious reasons but they'd never give Joaquin Phoenix the Oscar

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +35,764
    That aged well. ;) He also made the speech of the night.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Joker

Ratings:
    +34,552
    some Korean picture I never heard of won the Oscar....Tarantino got shut out...can't wait for the post Oscar post mortems to get all the juicy back biting details

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +35,764
    I don't care how "good" the Korean movie is, I won't be seeing it and neither will most people outside of South Korea. Isn't the best foreign film award good enough?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Joker

Ratings:
    +34,552
    there was an agenda tonight, as there always is....seems the message is world inclusive unity. I'm a cynic however. I see asian money influence in Hollywood on a massive studio scale.The Irishman got exactly ZERO awards in ANY category...c'mon...out of ten nominations? No, this year we'll hold a "Lets show Kim Jung Il our power! South Korea gets the Oscar, Rocket Man!" as Elton John plays the score to the eponymous flick of the same name.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. supafly

supafly James White pays me for shoutouts PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +24,651
    Are you telling me that “Parasite” won the best picture award? I haven’t looked yet, aside from the news about Phoenix.

I saw Parasite and thought that it was good, but I don’t believe that it’s best picture worthy. If anything, I felt that Joker was the standout, and that’s after sitting through some mediocre-to-good selections like Ford v Ferrari, Jojo Rabbit, Marriage Story, and Once upon a time in Hollywood.

Edit: I’ll be damned. I knew that it was getting to be a popular pick, but I didn’t think it would happen.

• Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  10. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29,259
    Ha ha! That’s exactly what I told my wife when this won. Must be some political motivation against North Korea.

11. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29,259
    Movies have really gone downhill. I saw Marriage Story, and the movie was so-so, though both Adam Driver and Scarlett Johanson stood out. Seemed like more of a masterclass on acting than an interesting story.

The only movie that has lived up to the hype in recent years, imo, is Moonlight. A couple years ago I stopped watching all the Oscar nominees because there were too many that were basically average movies that weren’t terrible and made the list. Low bar and too many nominations for Best Picture...should go back to 5.

If they’re including foreign language movies, may as well include the best quality movies made today, which are all produced by Pixar.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  12. supafly

supafly James White pays me for shoutouts PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +24,651
    I thought the 2018 list was decent, but last year’s wasn’t very good in my opinion. Oddly enough, I haven’t seen The Irishman or 1917 yet, and I’m surely not going to sit through 2 boobless hours of Little Women.

I was a bit surprised that Scarlett Johansson didn’t win either category. There’s no way that Lerna Dern was better in a supporting role during Marriage Story than Scarlett was during Jojo Rabbit.

Also, I can understand the selection of Brad Pitt, but much like you, I’m not thrilled about how low the bar was this year. And I guess I’m going to have to see Parasite again in order to try and fully appreciate that. I thought the concept was great, but I just didn’t walk away thinking that it would be a nominee for BP, let alone win it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +35,764
    @supafly @Ice_Ice_Brady You guys need to see 1917. It's one of the best films I've ever seen and should have won best picture.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. aluminum seats

aluminum seats Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +9,120
    Parasite was very good...if there was an agenda behind its win, it’s the subtext (blatant, so not really sub) of class warfare.

Joker was ok, but disappointing. Once Upon in Hollywood the same, which I really wanted to like more. Both Pitt and (particularly) Phoenix had annoying speeches. Parasite director had a great speech crediting the other directors.

Tried to see 1917 this weekend, but didn’t get to it, will try this week if it stays around. I suspect that will be the best. And I want to see Little Women...c’mon @supafly don’t be that guy. (Although to be fair I sorta fell in love with Florence Pugh in Midsommar.)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15,898
    Thank you. I’ve seen it every Sunday morning since it came out. Not sure they’ll love it.

The details of the movie are wonderfully done from the gospel song in the woods to the partial Edward Lear poem.

The night scene is one of the greatest visuals in movies that I can recollect.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Clonamery

Ratings:
    +15,898
    Little Women was very well made. It’s a feminist piece much more than Bombshell which shouldn’t surprise anyone since that was written and directed by men.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +35,764
    Don't understand, you mean you've gone to the theater to see it multiple times?

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Clonamery

Ratings:
    +15,898
    Yes.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +35,764
    Well, now we know what side of the aisle you sit on. :rolleyes:

Yeah, reality sometimes can be "annoying." Phoenix's acceptance speech was touchingly poignant in context of the film role he played and not overtly political. Pitt's was brief, not overbearing, and simply reflected the truth shared by 75 percent of Americans (yes, that's a confirmed figure).

20. aluminum seats

aluminum seats Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +9,120
    It really doesn’t say what side of the aisle I’m on...I don’t want to hear about the politics of the day from either side. Art should try to transcend that.

And not sure what inseminating cows has to do with Joker, unless you just mean he sounded crazy.

• Agree Agree x 1