PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moron of the Night: Reggie Nelson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I think Ketchman is one of the most perceptive football analysts around. The asterisk business was very out of character for him.

Onto your previous point, if Spicer played for the Pats he wouldn't have said those things. That IS something where BB says "the buck stops here". Evidently Del Rio doesn't.

Rookie Brandon meriweather in training camp this year made an innocuous comment praising WR Wers Welker in saying that he was getting great wxperience in practicde going up agaimnst one of best WR's in the NFL. The next day, in front of the entire team, BB ripped the poor kid a new one, by holding up the newspaper with his quote and saying "Who the hell is Brandon Meriweather to be saying this kind of crap? What kind of experience does ANY rookie have to be pontificating about the NFL. Shut up and keep your eyes and ears open.

It's just a difference in organizational culture.

Well I'm sorry, but it's stuff like that that I'm glad Del Rio isn't like Belicheck. That's just, in my opinion, a little cold and harsh... But then again, he does live and play in New England... The buck does stop with Del Rio, and I can promise you he is going to (or ALREADY has) have a talk with Reggie Nelson and Paul Spicer... He doesn't like public humiliating people and that is one philosophy that he has never subscribed to.

Yea Vic is a good analyst, but I still hate how in one fell swoop he has ruined the perception of the whole team. There is a saying that goes something like this, "It only takes one bad call to erase a thousand good calls."

Fluffed? - I think when they weighed him at that weight he went and ate the scale they weighed him on...

345 pounds,yeah right.....and I am the lead singer of a Reggae band who only plays at KKK rallies :eek:

*raises hands* Hey, I'm at the same feeling, I was just saying what he was "listed" as!

You also forgot to add that he also ate the person weighing him, too.

Well I'm sorry, but it's stuff like that that I'm glad Del Rio isn't like Belicheck. That's just, in my opinion, a little cold and harsh... But then again, he does live and play in New England... The buck does stop with Del Rio, and I can promise you he is going to (or ALREADY has) have a talk with Reggie Nelson and Paul Spicer... He doesn't like public humiliating people and that is one philosophy that he has never subscribed to.

Yea Vic is a good analyst, but I still hate how in one fell swoop he has ruined the perception of the whole team. There is a saying that goes something like this, "It only takes one bad call to erase a thousand good calls."

Woooaaa. BB NEVER humiliates player (his own or opposing) in public. Never. The Meriwether incident took place behind closed doors in a rookie squad meeting. The story leaked from a player who was cut.

I don't buy your excuse for Del Rio. Spicer made his comments several times over 4 months. If Del Rio actually did as you state, then Del Rio wasn't being listened to by his player. But to each his own. You be happy with Del Rio, he seems like a good coach. I'm not sure a Randy Moss, Adalius Thomas or Rodney Harrison would accept below-market FA contracts to work with him like they did with BB, but I hear his players like him.

That's just, in my opinion, a little cold and harsh...

That's our Belichick! He's a cold, harsh, bastard but we love him anyway.

Pure Bull! Reggie Nelson insulted the league MVP Tom Brady. The Patriots have a rookie free safety as well and I don't see Brandon Meriweather thumping his chest after the game during a locker room interview.

Hey, I'm not saying what he did was right OR smart... Just because he isn't... what's the word I'm looking for? "Socially Intelligent" DOES NOT mean he isn't an intelligent football play. He has shown that he has a lot of potential, just needs some time under incubating a little... And needs to have a talk with Del Rio...

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariotti/739059,mariotti011308.article

Fun to watch, too. Without hiccups by Benjamin Watson and Wes Welker, we'd have seen football's version of a perfect game instead of, well, a no-hitter. The only person not blown away by Brady's dart-throwing exhibition -- it established the all-time record for completion percentage, postseason and regular season -- was Jaguars rookie cornerback Reggie Nelson. Becoming the latest dummy to take shots at New England, Nelson said, ``Anyone can go 26 of 28 in a dropdown game.''

Dropdown meaning, dink and dunk.

I'm ashamed of Brady for "dinkn' & dunkn'" to the tune of 262 yards & 3 TD's. If I was in the Jaguars secondary, I say the same thing. Imagine how po'd they are after covering all the deep routes all night & watching guys catch passes underneath them:D

Woooaaa. BB NEVER humiliates player (his own or opposing) in public. Never. The Meriwether incident took place behind closed doors in a rookie squad meeting. The story leaked from a player who was cut.

I don't buy your excuse for Del Rio. Spicer made his comments several times over 4 months. If Del Rio actually did as you state, then Del Rio wasn't being listened to by his player. But to each his own. You be happy with Del Rio, he seems like a good coach.

*shrugs* I guess an outsider is the best person to make an indepth analysis on our Head Coaching postion, eh? *sarcasm*

He's a great coach, just because he doesn't coach like Belichick (no offense, nor would I want him to) doesn't make him a terrible coach, mind you....

Hey, I'm not saying what he did was right OR smart... Just because he isn't... what's the word I'm looking for? "Socially Intelligent" DOES NOT mean he isn't an intelligent football play. He has shown that he has a lot of potential, just needs some time under incubating a little... And needs to have a talk with Del Rio...
That's the problem with the Jaguars, Del Rio allows bulletin board material to be posted before and after the game. Sour grapes, sore losers!

Last edited:
*shrugs* I guess an outsider is the best person to make an indepth analysis on our Head Coaching postion, eh? *sarcasm*

He's a great coach, just because he doesn't coach like Belichick (no offense, nor would I want him to) doesn't make him a terrible coach, mind you....

Please tell me where I wrote he was a terrible coach.

Anyone can do it.

But no one ever has until tonight.

``Anyone can go 26 of 28 in a dropdown game.''

Wow, if they had figured this out before the game started... :bricks:

obviously the "dropdown" game doesn't really count in this mutt's eyes.

fortunately for him, there can't be much of a drop down in his brain cells since he obviously has no more than three

A little bit more from Nelson:

Perhaps you were impressed with Tom Brady's record-setting performance in beating Jacksonville on Saturday.

If so, you weren't Jaguars rookie safety Reggie Nelson.

"He ain't all that … He's all right," Nelson said.

Brady's teammates were having none of that:

Each told of Nelson's comments reacted with a bit of anger. "I can't say what I want to say," said wide receiver Donte Stallworth.

Underneath passes or not, 26-of-28 is a record for a reason.

"This is the NFL. If this was high school, yeah (it might not be 'all that')," Stallworth said.
Down the hall, "he ain't all that" dumbfounded Randy Moss.

"What?" Moss said. "It wasn't impressive? When you lose you're going to say things that (are) really inappropriate. You're talking about the MVP, that's Tom Brady.

"I'm not even going to respond to that."

But wait! Nelson finally admitted that yes:

"He's good," Nelson finally conceded before packing his bag and heading for the offseason. "He's a good quarterback."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=dw-patsjags011208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Hopefully lumberjack brings an axe into the locker room again and this kid is standing too close behind whoever is chopping.

Reggie Nelson better enjoy that Florida Gators national championship because it is the last one he will ever win.

Last edited:
You never did, you did imply it though. Because saying that his players don't listen is definitely a sign of a bad coach...

Fella, you can't have it both ways.

First, you say that Del Rio would definitely say something to a Spicer about spouting off regarding another team, but behind closed doors.

Well, Spicer had been going off on Spygate since the week it happened. He REITERATED it several times this week alone, on different days.

So, your choice is this - - facts are facts:

either

1) Your'e wrong, and Del Rio does NOT instruct his players to be careful about what they say to the press

or

2) He DOES instruct his players to be careful about what they say about an opponent in the press, but they don't heed his instructions.

Please let us know if there are any other scenarios here.

Fella, you can't have it both ways.

First, you say that Del Rio would definitely say something to a Spicer about spouting off regarding another team, but behind closed doors.

Well, Spicer had been going off on Spygate since the week it happened. He REITERATED it several times this week alone, on different days.

So, your choice is this - - facts are facts:

either

1) Your'e wrong, and Del Rio does NOT instruct his players to be careful about what they say to the press

or

2) He DOES instruct his players to be careful about what they say about an opponent in the press, but they don't heed his instructions.

Please let us know if there are any other scenarios here.

3) He Does instruct his players to be careful about what they say about an opponent in the press, but doesn't dictate because he understands that they are adults and should know better.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Spicer wasn't back next year.

Maybe he meant its not impressive going 26 for 28 against Reggie Nelson

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye