PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More Experience Not More Youth At LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There has been much call for even more youth at linebacker. However, I would note that patriot system is difficult to learn.

We have Alexander, Woods, Mayo and Crable. That's enough youth for me, perhaps more than enough.

We have Vrabel, Thomas, Bruschi and Hobson. That's not enough experience for me.

This is a well-balanced mix. However, if I were to add a linebacker, it definitely would be a very seasoned veteran, one who might be able to help (or even start) in case of injuries and also give a couple of the starters some rest.

I would add Seau in a flash or any number of other LB's who might be available before Labor Day. If I couldn't add a roster spot, I would cut Alexander to get a veteran backup.
-----------------------------

I don't count Izzo because he is a very valuable STer who happens to be listed as a linebacker.
-----------------------------

For me, it seems that there is room for a limited number of UDFA's or late round prospects.
I would say that number goes down if there also rookies in the unit. Four youngsters seems more than enough.

But posters ask who are the next Bruschi and Vrabel! If the answer is from UDFA's, then the answer is players Alexander and Woods. Why should we expect this year's set of binkies to be any better than these two? And even if they are, how many years will it take?

A better answer might be Mayo and Crable. Another answer may be whatever free agents are available when these two can no longer start.
-----------------------------------------

Personally, I believe that the patriots have had a quality linebacking corps since Belichick got here and will continue to do so for the forseeable future. And the leaders did NOT and will NOT come from the ranks of the UDFA's and late round draft choices.

Last edited:
IMO the issue here is what are the capabilities of Woods and Alexander, they are in their third year now and should be able to shoulder more of the load.. last year they both got spot playing time.. is it a rotation issue or is it a talent issue. Neither one of them have convinced me that they can step in and do the job.. right now they look more like ST'ers than NFL LB's..

Is Takeo Spikes still out there?

There has been much call for even more youth at linebacker. However, I would note that patriot system is difficult to learn.

We have Alexander, Woods, Mayo and Crable. That's enough youth for me, perhaps more than enough.

We have Vrabel, Thomas, Bruschi and Hobson. That's not enough experience for me.

This is a well-balanced mix. However, if I were to add a linebacker, it definitely would be a very seasoned veteran, one who might be able to help (or even start) in case of injuries and also give a couple of the starters some rest.

I agree with you about the general mix of veterans and younger prospects.

As to adding any more LBs, I don't think it is going to happen. They may have Seau waiting out there for 2 reasons....
1) As an old vet, he would like to reduce how much crappy preseason stuff he has to do
2) With the roster limit now smaller with no exemptions from NFLE, it makes more sense to have Seau unsigned while the Patriots try to figure out how all these younger guys, newly signed FAs, and other fringe players pan out.

The Patriots will work with what they have and once they figure out all the other positional battles and who to cut, they will likely bring Seau in when the slot becomes open. It's remotely possible that they end up not needing him, but I doubt that happens.

Seau!

That's really all we need, IMO. I think we're going to see a lot of Mayo-Hobson out there, but I agree we want/need Seau back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes