PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MOCK DRAFT 3.0: Who will Saints take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too early to tell, but I didn't expect NO to go for a QB anyway.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Too early to tell, but I didn't expect NO to go for a QB anyway.
If they don't go for a QB, I"d expect them to trade with the Jets at #4 swapping picks .....If you know teams #3 and #4 picking behind you need a QB, why not get something for the pick and still get the player you want...
Using the value system ( which I think is flawed but that's another story since it doesn't take intoconsideration the strength of the individual players in the draft), dropping from #2 to#4 should be worth a 3rd pick or more.....

Patsfanin Philly said:
If they don't go for a QB, I"d expect them to trade with the Jets at #4 swapping picks .....If you know teams #3 and #4 picking behind you need a QB, why not get something for the pick and still get the player you want...
Using the value system ( which I think is flawed but that's another story since it doesn't take intoconsideration the strength of the individual players in the draft), dropping from #2 to#4 should be worth a 3rd pick or more.....
FWIW, the Jets have no urgency to trade up for a Leinart or Bush. They now have Pennington, Ramsey, and Bollinger in the fold, all three have started and played decently, none are very expensive after Penny re-worked his contract. EM is working with Schottenhiemer the junior to build his offense, I would suggest the RB they want would look more like Tomlinson or CuMar then Reggie Bush currently does. The Jets are shopping Abraham and already have a 1st round pick offered, so they will have two firsts and a boatload of holes to fill.

Here's a mock for PATSNUTme's amusement:

Houston - D'Brickashaw Ferguson - they don't need Bush, they do need Kubiak's idea of an O-line. He's also a Shanahan branch, one of the RBs are made and not bought guys.

New Orleans - Reggie Bush - you've got a QB friendly HC with a franchise QB, you get him a QB's friend LT isn't a good value now, so you get him a RB.

Tennessee - Matt Leinart - they are putting a lot of time into scouting Cutler, but for now Leinart is the better Pro QB.

NYJ - Mario Williams - you brought in Kimo from the Steelers, a veteran 3-4 DE, you book end him with a guy who is as athletic as Willie and nearly as big as Seymour. This is a BB protege who saw first hand how to build a champion. Get a LT later, build your D-line now. He has a Bobby Hamilton-like teacher for trench warfare to bring along a guy who can be better then Sey if he puts his mind to it.

Green Bay - Vernon Davis - AJ Hawk would be nice, but Prince Favre and his new offensive minded mentor want better tools.

San Francisco - Haloti Ngata - again, LT woud be over priced here, but a 3-4 coach's dream NT or DE is money in the bank.

Oakland - Jay Cutler - Collins is gonzo.

Buffalo - Broderick Bunkley - they dumped Adams, here's a quicker one-gap type for a defensive HC.

Detroit - Winston Justice - you franchised one of your tackles, now you've got a top fifteen kid to replace him next year.

Arizona - Vince Young - Denny made room for him with McCown's departure.

St. Louis - AJ Hawk - who knew he would drop so far, but OT, DT, and QB is usually a better value than LB; and Haslett has been lobbying hard for a defensive first pick.

Cleveland - Manny Lawson - Willie on one side, Lawson on the other, at least you know which side they're running to.

Baltimore - Michael Huff - Ray Ray will be very happy with his defensive backfield.

Philadelphia - Santonio Holmes - another WR for the Iggles.

Atlanta - John Abraham - They win the sweepstakes from NY and get later round picks where the value is better. NYJ - Eric Winston - they now have a DE/OLB and a LT, not a bad haul.

Miami - Antonio Cromartie - take the semi-local kid for a DB loving HC.

Minnesota - DeAngelo Williams - why else pay silly money for a LG?

Dallas - Max Jean-Gilles - I really have no idea what Dallas needs, but another fat OG with good feet and pulling speed to help hold the middle of the line for Drew has some value for them.

San Diego - Jimmy Williams - they want secondary help badly.

Kansas City - Tye Hill - Herm likes groping CBs and this kid is a clone of the other Clemson CB he took.

New England - Daryl Tapp - everybody wants a RB, or a CB, or whatever, but for a five year contract, the best value is a disruptive OLB candidate, and Tapp is the most disruptive player left. I expect NE to trade with someone who wants a Lendale White, but I won't show my bias by forecasting a trade that benefits the Pats, I'll show my bias by choosing a player who benefits the Pats.

Washington - Bobby Carpenter - replace Arrington.

Tampa Bay - Marcus McNeill - they are trying to build up the O-line in FA to keep the Cadillac running.

Cincinnati - Ernie Sims - Marvin likes defense, I just don't know what else has value for him here.

NYG - Chad Greenway - they've been buying old DBs in FA, their D-line is set and the O-line has little value here.

Chicago - Leonard Pope - all the mocks want them to take a TE, I don't know any better.

Carolina - Thomas Howard -Witherspoon is gone, I don't know what they need so I'll replace him.

Jacksonville - Laurence Maroney - seems like they are having trouble with their RBs.

Denver - Nick Mangold - Shanny buys his D-line now days, I was tempted by a young FS to play behind Lynch, but a young C works too.

Indianapolis - Joseph Addai - I expect them to work up for one of the top four RBs if they fall far enough, but top five gets them a better Edge replacement.

Seattle - Mathias Kiwanuka - Tamba Hali stunk up his Pro-Day.

Pittsburgh - Jason Allen - BPA.

Mario Williams

denver has washington's first rounder

vince oyung is going to the titans, the relationship he has with mcnair is going to allow him to follow mcnairs footsteps and learn from the best ruuning qb. He knows how to run, but also knows how to use the run to set up the throw; perfect set up for mcnair.

No way Young goes to the Titans if Leinart is still on the board though. Norm Chow was his OC at USC and he would be a step ahead on the offensive end going to the Titans.

Dallas will likely pick jimy williams if available at #18....others to consider in this mock would be Ko Simpson, Jason Allen and Chad Greenway. as for Jean-Gillies, Dallas will use either their second rounder or third rounder to take the best O-liner on the board, which could be Joseph, Jean-Gillies, Scott, Trueblood, O'Callaghan....

Denver has picks 22 and 29....like BB, shanahan is unpredictable....but i'd look for a WR and a DL or DB.

IMHO

if i was sitting at the top of the draft and needed o-line help...i'd trade down for multiple picks rather than picking ferguson.....i hear all this 10-year tackle stuff but i don't buy it....you're o-line is a unit and having one stud on it doesn't make it a good o-line....since this draft is deep at OL, i'd trade down and pick up a Winston Justice AND a Jonathon Scott and maybe another pick.

Trading down from number one is always a problem, people don't want to spend the money associated with a number one pick.

Fergusen may or may not be as good as people claim, if Houston wants value at number one they are severely limited in their choices: Bush, Fergusen, or maybe Mario Williams if they don't take a QB.

Box_O_Rocks said:
New England - Daryl Tapp - everybody wants a RB, or a CB, or whatever, but for a five year contract, the best value is a disruptive OLB candidate, and Tapp is the most disruptive player left. I expect NE to trade with someone who wants a Lendale White, but I won't show my bias by forecasting a trade that benefits the Pats, I'll show my bias by choosing a player who benefits the Pats.
IMO that's a huge reach. Many draft boards have Tapp as a 2nd or even 3rd rounder. I'd MUCH rather take Carpenter, who you have going next to Washington (Denver has their pick).

Dallas could also go OLB, probably Greenway.

big mike said:
IMO that's a huge reach. Many draft boards have Tapp as a 2nd or even 3rd rounder. I'd MUCH rather take Carpenter, who you have going next to Washington (Denver has their pick).

Dallas could also go OLB, probably Greenway.
He could be a reach, but I've rarely seen him drop past the middle of the 2nd round. I may start looking at a player's value based on whatever mocks I've read, but I like to do as much of my own research as I can manage. Tapp has more sacks, tackles for loss, and quarterback hurries then Carpenter does. He is also heavier, referring back to our weight discussions on the LB thread. I've never seen Carpenter play, and only saw Tapp play in the Senior Bowl, but he was a very disruptive figure who reminded me of Rosie Colvin in his playing style.

Where Carpenter has an edge on Tapp, he has been an OLB with coverage responsibilities, and he is taller. I think either would be a decent pick, but any player who racks up Tapp's numbers going against the kind of LTs teams like Miami and Virginia are going to field, and reminds me of Rosie Colvin, wins the tie-breaker for me. If Lawson is there I take him, he was even more disruptive than Tapp.

Box_O_Rocks said:
He could be a reach, but I've rarely seen him drop past the middle of the 2nd round. I may start looking at a player's value based on whatever mocks I've read, but I like to do as much of my own research as I can manage. Tapp has more sacks, tackles for loss, and quarterback hurries then Carpenter does. He is also heavier, referring back to our weight discussions on the LB thread. I've never seen Carpenter play, and only saw Tapp play in the Senior Bowl, but he was a very disruptive figure who reminded me of Rosie Colvin in his playing style.

Where Carpenter has an edge on Tapp, he has been an OLB with coverage responsibilities, and he is taller. I think either would be a decent pick, but any player who racks up Tapp's numbers going against the kind of LTs teams like Miami and Virginia are going to field, and reminds me of Rosie Colvin, wins the tie-breaker for me. If Lawson is there I take him, he was even more disruptive than Tapp.

In your scenario, I take Hali over both Carpenter and Tapp. I think he's the most disruptive OLB type on the board.

dryheat44 said:
In your scenario, I take Hali over both Carpenter and Tapp. I think he's the most disruptive OLB type on the board.
Watching him in the Senior Bowl, I wasn't that excited about his OLB potential and I recall some interview or report of an interview where a switch to OLB wasn't something he favored.

Manny Lawson North Carolina State, TT - 58, ST - 33, TFL - 23, Sacks - 10.5, PD - 4, FF - 1, QBH - 14, Blk Kick - 1

Darryl Tapp Virginia Tech, TT - 48, ST - 27, TFL - 16, Sacks - 10, PD - 3, FF - 3, QBH - 14, Blk Kick - 1

Tamba Hali Penn State, TT - 65, ST - 27, TFL - 23, Sacks - 11, PD - 4, FF - 1, QBH - 2

He compares well with my top two, but I would still place him third statistically based on QBH. Not to mention Mike Mayock reported he stunk up his Pro-Day....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back